14x24 1 story in Northern Arkansas

Started by Taylor, November 21, 2008, 08:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

Ventless heater are ok in old drafty houses but wouldn't use one in a new tight house unless you plan to leave a window open. This why combustion air is required for water heaters and furnaces in newer houses. They burn up the oxygen in the room.

MountainDon

Ventless heaters "deal with CO" by producing it, allowing it to spread around the house; then, IF the systems are working right they are supposed to turn off the burner when the O2 level hits some certain minimum. The CO's still there someplace, though.

Never, ever use a non vented appliance. I've mentioned this before on here; my neighbors in the mountains were almost killed by their propane refrigerator last spring.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Taylor

Thanks for the heads up, I guess if I get a gas fire place I will be sure to get a vented one, but that is really that last thing on my mind right now.
Speaking of gas fire places, the guy that lives a couple of houses over from me has one. I was talking to him the other day and he said Tuesday(when the power went out) he went out to check his tank and it was low, he said it was so low that his fire place wouldn't fire up but he could still run his stove, so I guess if you do have gas make sure it is full before the storm, lol. The bad thing about it is he is a brick mason and wanted a wood fire place but his wife didn't want the hassle from it.

Thanks

Taylor

MountainDon

It's a bad idea to let the propane yard tank get too low because if something happens, like a storm or you simply forget to call for more the tank may run dry. When that happens here it creates a problem and an expense for you. That's because if a home tank is empty when the delivery truck comes they can not fill the tank without having done an inspection to make sure there are no leaks. That's how it is here in NM at least. It's about a $60 minimum charge.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Taylor

Just to let everyone know, I got my power back on today  :). It went out Jan 27 about 8:00am so it was out about 11 days. One good thing, they cleared all the trees from around the lines so I should fair better next ice storm.

Taylor

Redoverfarm

Good news Taylor.  I am sure others wish theirs were back on.  Funny how you get dependent on power.  Take it for granite most of the time.  I was digging into some OLD OLD papers and found my Electric bill from 1976 and I was paying $40 dollars a month. Also found my pay stub and I was only making $514 a month.  I guess it is about the same now huh.   

Taylor

Progress!  :)

I finally got out and did some work. My helper was supposed to come, but never showed, so I was working by my self. I put the tar paper down a little backwards I guess you say. I did it this way so I could get it up with my safety boards that I had up and I can slide the bottom piece in from the ladder. I plan on finishing the one side tomorrow and maybe get the other side done and get my drip edge on.

Taylor

Redoverfarm

Taylor that will work just remember to slide the bottom row under the one above.

Terry

Taylor, you haven't posted in a while.  ???  Just wondering how everything is going?
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

Taylor

I haven't gotten anything else done since my last post. I moved in to the house next door to where I am building that my dad owns. I am trying to rent to own from him and my mom is going to live in my house I have been building, so between moving and cleaning 20 years of stuff of my dad's and dirt and grim and the 20+ mph winds I haven't get the any more work done. I hope in the next week or so to get some stuff done on it.

After that I have a lot of projects to do in the house I living in now if I get to rent to own.

Taylor

Taylor

I got some progress done  :)

I ran out of house wrap that is why it stops. I need to trim the ends of the tar paper and get the drip railing on it, and get tar paper on the extension part of the roof.
The weather is going to be nice tomorrow so I should get some shingles on.

I do have a question for everyone. I was wondering if I could use one or two Air Vent Power Roof Mount Fans that turn on automatically to vent the attic instead of a ridge vent. I notice my dad's house has one but it also has gable vents too.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

I got some shingles on it  :)

Took me about 4 hours to get this far.

Taylor

As I am getting closer to having it dried in. I need to start thinking about the inside. My wife and I decided we are going to finish the house and live in it instead of buying my dad's house.

I am still trying to figure out how to lay out the inside of the house. I have a lot of different designs but it is still up in the air. So I thought I would ask all of you all how you would do it. These are thing I need to have a 5' shower in my bath, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and queen size bed. Here is the layout of the structure that can't be changed, I can add more windows, and build a closet add-on on the outside if needed.

Thank you for all your help

Taylor

Taylor

There was one like this posted before but I am leaning towards this one:

Let me know

Taylor

soomb

I like that one the best, and it allows for very short and easy plumbing run.  expansion woule be easy out of wall on the living room, should you want to add a room.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

Taylor

Yeah, the wife and I like it too. Here it is with a small room added on if I need to.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

Where would you all put the beaker panel in that plan? Right now the power trench comes to the top right corner of the bedroom, but I don't want the panel in the bedroom. I was thinking some where by the hot water heater, since it would be in a central location.

Thanks

Taylor

soomb

Could you put it on the wall in the short hall way?  And then cover it with a picture or other art work?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

Taylor

That might work. I am thinking on the wall just right of the dryer. Now I wonder if I have enough wire to make it from the pole to there. Do they make a junction box that I can mount under the house to splice my 2/0 copper wiring if I don't have enough?

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

I did a little research. If I don't have enough wire, I will just buy some longer wire. That seams to be the easiest and probably cheapest way.

NM_Shooter

Does Mountain Home have a Lowe's now?  Wow.  I remember when the McDonald's was big news!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Taylor

Yeah they have had a Lowes and home depot for awhile. Just had petco open up not to long ago. It is a booming place.

Susan on the Osage Plains

I'm a little late on the ventless gas discussion but I've had it for four years and have never had a problem at all.  When we had a bad ice storm, we were nice and toasty warm.  Also, it uses no where near the gas that a conventional one uses.  My mother the "scardy cat" even bought one after the last storm.  I have nothing but good to say for them.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

It means "to the stars through difficulty".  It is the state motto of KANSAS.

JC

Taylor, enjoyed reading about your house building & trials /tribulations during the ice storm.  We used to live in Mt. Home & are familiar with the area.  We were up there 2 wks. ago. Daughter, son-in-law& grand son live there off of christanson rd.  They were without elec. 13 days.  Had to chainsaw their way out.  I used to live in meadowcrest.  Plan on coming up sometime in aug.  Would like to meet you if possible.                                                                                                                                                                                                               JC

Taylor

I am back and going to be updating my topic with pictures soon. I have had a lot of stuff going on and what not. But here is my working floor plan right now. This is going to just be for me to live in now. It is 529sqft.