Garage door header and framing in block wall

Started by db4570, September 19, 2014, 09:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db4570

I have my cabin jacked up and the busted block wall removed. I am pouring new footer tomorrow, and the mason is coming the day after to lay up the new wall with 8x8x16 block.

The original wall had a garage door size opening which I want to keep. I have been trying to find online diagrams for how this should be framed. The door will only be 8' wide, so it's not a huge span.

Can I just use a few nailed thicknesses of 2x8s for a header? We will reinforce the blocks at the edges of the opening with a column rod and mortar fill. How many lengths of block should it be supported by on the ends?

Information appreciated. Thanks!

David

Redoverfarm

The minimum is 4" although most masons will extend it over 1/2 of the block as it works out when tying into the wall on either side. .  If you are laying block over the lintel then you should not use wood.  They make steel or concrete reinforced lintels for that application.

db4570

Thanks for the reply. I have now learned from my mason and the block supplier that they normally use an angle iron lintel. It is just a wood frame house above.

David