Parent's Get-Away

Started by Pala, August 27, 2006, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

QuoteYep, pea gravel is the "order of the day".  I'm told that there's a shooter attatchement for the truck that will carry it across the perimeter "wall".

Make sure you have ear plugs for everyone , [highlight]and wear them [/highlight] ;D It a LOUD job runnin pee stone , how is it spelled , pea or pee :-/they are pea sized and pee is a stream of , ah , well you know  ;D

Pala

Step 2, Fix mistakes.   :o  A few more photos in the Foundation Gallery at the link below.

"Pea Shooter" not available until friday.  

Sassy

Nice pics showing your step-by-step process - will be very helpful to others  :)

Pala

They always told me I'd have to stop playing with toys when I grew up.  Either they lied or I just haven't grown up yet.  This was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.  Timesaver?  .... Ummmm yeeeah!

More fotos at the link below in the FOUNDATION gallery.

Pala

Wires and tubes.  Tubes and wires.  She blinded me with RauPEX.   Kick booty Indian Summer here.   ;)

Wish me luck on the inspection tomorrow.

chuck.

More photos at the link below under FOUNDATION.  Enjoy.

jwv

Pala says- 

She blinded me with RauPEX... 

And hit me with technology

"Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!"

I - I don't believe it!

There she goes again!

She's tidied up, and I can't find anything!

All my tubes and wires

And careful notes

And antiquated notions

But! - it's poetry in motion

Thomas Dolby

~Judy

peg_688

They always told me I'd have to stop playing with toys when I grew up.  Either they lied or I just haven't grown up yet.  This was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.  Timesaver?  .... Ummmm yeeeah!

More fotos at the link below in the FOUNDATION gallery.

So that the pea shooter eh :)We just use a mixer truck over here, never seen one of those fancy rigs :o. Mixer truck is very noisey, I see ,(YOU?) or some one has ears but they don't work so well proped up on the head like that ;DMaybe that shooter / converyer belt isn't as noisey :-/

What was you issue with the foundation ? To wide ? Looked like you where trimming it down , the photo just a red X now tryin to forget ;D That , ah , day ;D  

Pala

Yeah, "The Shooter" wasn't really all that noisey, unless you were standing at the truck.

Our beautiful forms bowed out and/or failed slightly in two places.  We are cleaning that up so that the 2" foam will have a plumb surface.    Next time we will run "strongbacks" on long walls like those.

oops.

(I fixed those image links).

peg_688

Ah I see  :o  Concrete is very heavy most folks think they have enought bracing , as a rule more is better when concrete is involved ;D

How'd ya do in the PT film fest?

Pala

QuoteAh I see  :o  Concrete is very heavy most folks think they have enought bracing , as a rule more is better when concrete is involved ;D

How'd ya do in the PT film fest?

We were awarded 5th out of 9.  I feel we should have placed higher, but we do it for the fun really.  Here's a link to the film at youtube NSFW(Not Safe For Work).  Sorry about the cussing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKe1yeYjTp4

jraabe

Nice work Pala - a man of many talents.  ;)

Pala

QuoteNice work Pala - a man of many talents.  ;)

Thanx John.

Pouring the last of the concrete today.  Hard to believe we're gonna start framing next week.

chuck.

Pala

Check foundation off the list !!

We filled in the rest with no issues.  Good estimate on the yards: 10.5.  Had about a 1/4 yd. left.

Flat is good.  Need to figure out my next materials order and let it harden over the weekend.  16d sinkers ring loud and true early Monday morning.

Whew!   :o

Pala

Sassy

You are certainly getting a lot done!  Looks really nice!

Pala

I love how fast it goes durring framing.

I need to stay ahead better on my materials orders.

more below under FRAMING

enjoy,
chuck.

Pala

Levels...   ;)

Lots of head scratching Friday; trying to figure out the two upstairs levels and how that works with the stair risers and tread dimensions.  I think we got it figured out.  We read the plans wrong and we need to run a third top plate and 2 pieces  of 1/2" plywood to raise the higher floor up 2 1/2".  Kinda fun, kinda frustrating, little bit scarry.

More photos at the link below under FRAMING.

enjoy,
chuck

Pala

This 6x8 will be exposed in the opening between the study and downstairs bedroom.  Supported on either side by 6x6 posts chamfered and fluted into columns.  Finished with Benmatte perhaps.

More framing photos at the link below in the FRAMING gallery.

chuck.

Pala

Stairs and what not.

Note to self:  Order engineered wood earlier next time.  :-/

More framing goodness at the link below.

chuck.

Sassy

Hey, who is that monkey climbing the columns?  You are really moving along, Pala, great job!

Pala

Hey, who is that monkey climbing the columns?  You are really moving along, Pala, great job!

;D ;D

That's the ScottMonkey.  He's invaluable when it comes time to put on the roofing.

chuck.

Pala

Second floor joists going in.  Custom wood work in the photo above. 8-)

More at the link below in the FRAMING gallery.

chuck..

jraabe

Chuck:

Very nice work on the beam and post! A great example of the wood butchers art.  :D

(This is the kind of thing people will still be appreciating long after you've left the planet. There is a built-in heritage and timelessness to building... and you've hit that note.)

Amanda_931

That's so nice looking!

I want something like that!

Pala

It's probably less than $125 in wood.  It's just dimensional Doug Fir.  It was fun picking thru the piles.  The 6x8 came out of a big old stack of 6x8x20'.  Knucklebusters for sure.  The keys are walnut scraps, from a pallet i believe.

Then give a creative fellow (Scott, not me) a couple new router bits and a few rainy days and you have something people die for.  I love it.  My parents are beside themselves at this point.  

John, I feel the same way about "permanence".  In a hundred years someone will be enjoying this place.  Maybe they will stumble across some of our mistakes and wonder "What the heck were these guys thinkin'??"  Today I observed distinctly the concept: it is not the record of the mistake that this left docmented by the stone and wood, rather the record of the solution that fixed said mistake.  Shuck and jive.

Doors and windows came in... whew, I hope I'm not spending anyone's money to fast here.  Sure is easier to write checks when it ain't your bank account.

The weather is telling me I should have gotten that roof on about a week ago.  Good thing I gots motivated help.

enjoy,
chuck.