Parent's Get-Away

Started by Pala, August 27, 2006, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

#1: OSB?   :-?  No OSB to be found, photo must be playing tricks on you.

#2: The eves are sheathed in 5/8" S-Ply.   $33 a sheet.

#3:   What are you refering to about the header detail??  Sometimes the monkeys get into all kindsa mistchif.
chuck.

#1: Well it looks like OSB in the photo  :-[

#2: 5/8 " very good , I like 5/8" especally when comp roofing is used , hold the nails justa bit better. So with metal and screws you'll be golden , even with our wind storms 8-) 8-)

#3: Are those parts / pieces that project sloped , so like I said water drains off / doesn't sit and work it way back in??

Sort of like a drip loop from wiring , cable , phone type, they should always have a loop / low point then head back up the wall a few to 6" before they go thru the wall, causes ant water that runs down the wire to dropoff instead of flowing right into the wall traveling on the wire , basic stuff, some times so basic folks don't know about it :(

TBA

Thanks Chuck and PEG, very helpful information.

My progress has been a bit slow, I've owned this land for 10 years and this year so far we've had more snow than all the other years combined with long periods of bitter cold snaps (well my old arthritic hands indicate bitter cold anyway even if it's not really too bitter).

Finally framing and warming up a little.

Thanks again.

Pala

PEG,

Yep, sloped with a kerf cut on the underside to force the drip to drop off at the edge and not wick back on the underside.

We get it right sometimes.
chuck

Pala

Cute!

I leave for Europe in 18 days.  Think we'll finish by then?   ;D

So, we'll take a nice little break.  Come back refreshed, and wrap it up.

I'd like to get the drywall subs in and out by then, but no rush.  Taking it all one day at a time.

Lots more photos at the link below.
chuck.

Sassy

Very beautiful!  Where are you going in Europe?

Pala

QuoteVery beautiful!  Where are you going in Europe?

Amsterdam for 5 days -> Koln (Cologne) -> Rothenburg -> Stuttgart -> Innsbruck -> Padova/Venice for 4 days -> Back to Amsterdam for 7 days.

We are meeting with friends from home.  One is a teacher in Padova, Italy.  It will be fun to hang out with my friends in a foreign country.

There's photos from my last trip in the same gallery as the house photos.  Surf up to Our Digital Photos.

chuck.

tj4orange

Koln!!! gotta go up "The Castle"!  It's the big church there and it think that's they call it...?  We went up it in 2001.  I made it as a fat guy so anyone can do it.  Something like 500 steps up or some crazy number.  Awsome views and you can go in and see the big bells and all the stain glass .  Pretty cool place!  Just my 2 cents!

jraabe

You're really doing a first cabin job on this place Pala.

Have a great European vacation!

PS - I remember an old book I could lend you, [highlight]"Europe on $5 a day"[/highlight]. Do you think some of that might be out of date?

Pala

Thanx for the kind words John.

Old book or not, frugal is google.  (that made no sense.)

16 days 20 hours 34 mins, and counting.

jwv

We had planned to go to Europe next month but housebuilding got in the way.  We are still planning a trip but probably only to Germany. The one request of the boys is to see the "gothic cathdral in Cologne".  If you have tips on where to stay or what else to see in the area and have time, please share.

Judy

You project is beautiful, so detailed.

Doug_Martin

I wanted to chime in a say that I love the details too.  Just think -- 50 years from now somewone will look under the eves and see your rafter details and say "wow, cool".

I'll never forget taking the Anheuser Bush bottling plant tour in St. Louis years ago.  I looked up as I was walking by a very small machine shop building and I saw a sculptured freize at the building's peak.  This on a building that would probably be a slapped together steel pole barn if it was built today.

Amanda_931

The paper in Nashville used to have contests to see who could spot the little details in the higher reaches of buildings downtown.  I think someone always did, rarely me, though.  But I wasn't downtown that much.

I think they're worth the time to do.

And I know I'm jealous of how fast that building is going up!  And how much help there is!

jwv

That's the thing, the craftsmanship that went into "everyday" buildings!  Now it's just slapdash styrofoam and stucco.  I think that's why people can't believe the time it's taken us to get to this stage on our house.  

Judy

Sassy

Have a great vacation!  Keep those pictures coming!  I looked at some of your pics from the last European vacation - no labels so didn't really know what I was looking at...  

Pala

Quoteno labels so didn't really know what I was looking at...  

It's all so old and neat, hardly matters really.  

My short list of hotels in Koln is:

Brandenburger Hof
Muller Hotel
Hotel Im Kupferkessel

We are budget oriented, so your tastes or needs may vary.

You can't go wrong using www.tripadvisor.com to plan your accomodations.

In Klon the local beer is called Kolsch and it comes in 250 ml glasses so that it stays crisp and cold.  They just keep bringing it untill you say stop.  Now that's good drinkin'.  I will eat just about anything, but I'm not touching the blood sausage.

I too, am looking forward to the Cathedral.

Thanx everyone for making such nice comments.  

I should be able to pressure up the water supply again tomorrow.  I had the radiant floor running for a day, but was afraid to leave it unattended over night.  So now I've been finishing up the rough-in on potable lines.  Rahau tool is the shizzle but we have one spot with limited access and a "T" on each the hot and cold.  It was a real bitch to get the tool on the fitting.  Everywhere else, easy as cake.  Piece of pie.  Hard to believe it's so easy.

I busted the Millwaukee right-angle twice drilling rough in.  One part was only $7, but I blew out the gearbox and bought a whole new kit for about $90.  Me and the monkeys think the thing shouldn't be so whimpy.

We had a leak in the balcony lining.  We used a two part drain fitting that sandwiches the liner material between the two pieces.  We applied Sikaflex to the surfaces and that acted as a lubricant.  When the drain was screwed down, it pushed the liner out.  The drain monkeys gave it another go today.  Cross your fingers.

Gonna need some inspections here soon.  Cross your fingers for that one too.

Thanx again for the kind words.  Everyone here is so pleased.
chuck.

Amanda_931

Have good inspections--and a good trip as well.

Pala

Tiger Wood decking.... ...  ::)  ok get all the jokes and giggles out.  Yes it's PGA approved.

But it sure is purdy.  Photos of the back deck in the same stuff:

Clicky

peg_688

But  does it drift right when over drive it ;D

Nice Chuck , have a great Euro vacation :)

Windy over your way tonight??

Pala

Blustery!

I'm roaming Amsterdam in GoogleEarth.

Pala

Ok, enough fooling around.  Get Back To Work Chuck!

Hopefully drywall soon.

Parents arrive June 18 to inspect their Getaway.

peg_688

Drywall.

Ayup. Almost as exciting as watchin mud dry  ::) ;D

Looks like some 54" brd was used , NOW that exciting  :)

Pala

Here's that post and beam after the drywallers have had at it.

hobbiest

So, I am confused.  Are you building a get-away for your parents, telling your parents to get away, or are you the parents getting away?  Either way, I love this house, and the job that is being done is first rate.  One more nail in the cheap-throw-away-plastic-house's coffin (hey, I can dream)!  What is the language captioning photos on your web page?

Pala

QuoteSo, I am confused.  Are you building a get-away for your parents, telling your parents to get away, or are you the parents getting away?  Either way, I love this house, and the job that is being done is first rate.  One more nail in the cheap-throw-away-plastic-house's coffin (hey, I can dream)!  What is the language captioning photos on your web page?

Hi Jens.

It's a getaway, for my parents.  Scott and Chris and I are building, my Parents are paying. ;-)

Are you referring to the Russian that's in the framing section?  Scanning my website stats I noticed that some folks on a Russian building discussion board, much like this one, are following along with my posts and discussing amongst themselves.  Small world.

I shoulda never told the drywallers we have plenty of time.  Nice looking job though.  Better than I would have done.