covered decks all around

Started by Leo, April 10, 2007, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Many of the cabins built and being built have a deck all around with a roof above.I like the look of it but more so see it practical.to walk out say at night a deck under foot beats stumbling around ,the roof would allow one side to watch storms from and stay dry.it keeps water from the roofs further away from footers or foundation and i would imagine a paint job would last longer.it protects the cabin?not to mention shade.I have a black snake near the cabin that likes copper heads for supper also rattlers. my neighbors see them often but jake the black snake keeps the area policed.another reason for a surround porch.

fourx

It's a standard thing in old aussie houses, verandahs all round, Leo, and in a temperate or sub-tropical climate it at least doubles your living area. Our front verandah faces north, so it gets the sun all winter, and is in shade all summer. A good idea is to leave a gap of maybe a half  inch or a little less- as long as one of those snakes can't poke it's head up- between the floor boards. Means no sweeping, the dust falls through, and a good airflow is always welcome in summer.
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

glenn-k

Nice place, Pete.  Looks like a mirror image of California. :)  Just that the one in California would be facing south.

fourx

...and the light switches would flip down for off, not on, like here  :)

... driving on the right would get some getting used to...

MountainDon

Quote... driving on the right would get some getting used to...

I had very little trouble going back and forth from England to the continent, switching from driving on the right or left, when driving a vehicle built for the country. That is, when driving on the "wrong" (left) side of the road the steering wheel is on the right-hand side of the car. That puts the driver nearer to the center of the road where you want to be in order to see for passing. That's how I kept it straight. I had more trouble riding a bicycle and keeping to the correct side.

It's a whole different situation when taking, say, a British built vehicle over to the continent and driving there. You must absolute trust in your co-pilot when trying to pass slow moving lorries on narrow 2 lane roads.   :o  Floor it & pull out to pass when you're totally blind.

Shifting gears with your left hand (floor mounted manual shift) may take some getting used to. Worst is operating the gas with your left foot, the clutch with the right foot!

;D 'Kidding about that last one!!  :D ;D

Amanda_931

When the family moved to Guam in 1960 we got a Datsun/Nissan with a column shift that had simply been turned over for the Guam (IIRC no heat, so not the US mainland) market and left-hand drive requirements.

That was a hair odd.  Reverse was up and in front, high, up and in back.

desdawg

I think I will just stay home.