pier flooring insulation

Started by dan614, March 30, 2007, 05:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan614

How do you insulate a pier or skid floor????? I want to make my cabin usable in the winter.

MountainDon

Building on piers and beams you would leave enough space under the beams and joists to allow you to crawl under and install your insulation from underneath after the cabin is dried in. Then you should cover the underside of the joists/insulation with something to keep the critters out and still allow for ventilation. Pegboard is one way.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Pre build your floor down side up , insulate as required , Typar under side of floor joist , add wood lathe , or strapping , ( to insure the Typar stays up ) roll the floor over , You'll need helpers , on to your skids , simple .  You'd be good to go for years with that setup , unless you poked holes in the Typar when skidding the place around.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

dan614

Would you use faced or not. We get alot of snow so moisture could be a problem

PEG688

QuoteWould you use faced or not. We get alot of snow so moisture could be a problem

I'd use unfaced insulation, what the Typar would be , [highlight]in theroy [/highlight], is breath the faced insulation is in part a vapor barrier , so it MIGHT trap moisture between the subfloor and the paper.  

skiwest

I was with - top to bottom

subfloor
6mil poly vapor barrier
joists 2x10 with bat insulation
1" blue board
sheathing 3/8"
1/4" page wire  - think thats the name - the wire mesh 1/4" squares glav.

Had mice and rats in a house that really had to work on so anal about the critters

MountainDon

Quote1/4" page wire  - think thats the name - the wire mesh 1/4" squares glav.
It's called Hardware Cloth.
The sheathing above the wire mesh will not allow the floor to breath down and the plastic on top will lock any moisture in at the top. It might be better to use pegboard; it'll breath.  Of course the blueboard will also slow down the breathing if it's fitted tight/nailed. Let's see what PEG thinks.   :-/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote1/4" page wire  - think thats the name - the wire mesh 1/4" squares glav.
It's called Hardware Cloth.
The sheathing above the wire mesh will not allow the floor to breath down and the plastic on top will lock any moisture in at the top. It might be better to use pegboard; it'll breath.  Of course the blueboard will also slow down the breathing if it's fitted tight/nailed. Let's see what PEG thinks.   :-/

I already did say what I thought, see post  3 & 5 , the wire / hardware cloth over the Typar would be nice as rodents here are a  big issue, sort of a belt and suspenders  thing .

We have Norwiegn rat around here and I've seen a place where they chewed thru standrad bird blocks plastic mesh , we had to remove all the insulation in a couple of attic spaces , and put wire mesh soffit vents over the bird block / vented blocks between the truss's , the rats ,we think , orginally got in thru the vented ridge vent  ( which had light weight plastic mesh orginally ), we also screwed hardware cloth from inside the attic space to keep them from getting in that way as well. They are persistance little buggers , those norweign's , ah the rats that is  :-[

The vent is essently 1/4 " hardware cloth with a metal frame , so hardware cloth in combination with Typar would be a good thing in the long run , but it would be spendy.

Why is it good and cheap rarely go hand in hand  :o ;D

glenn kangiser

QuoteWhy is it good and cheap rarely go hand in hand   :o ;D

PEG,  Sassy is half Norwegian.... and are you saying that is why we don't hold hands much?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Very good twist Glenn  ;D Took me a second to figger er out ;)

glenn kangiser

Thought you were picking on me for a minute there. :-/

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Your just naturally paranoid , remember,  you can pick your nose but ya can't pick yer friends nose ;D And your MTL only paranoid cuz everyones out ta get ya, just like me  :-[ ::)

glenn kangiser

:-/