Building a Boardwalk

Started by fritz, August 13, 2008, 11:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritz

From the area park my car and truck, to the cabin, is about 200 feet across pasture grass.  It's not a bad walk in workshoes, but other times it can be wet, muddy and by winter, snow and packed snow.  I'm thinking I'll build a boardwalk from the parking area to the area around the deck and steps into my cabin.

SO I've got a couple of ideas and wanted any thoughts you all might have:

Idea one:  using pre fab concrete deck blocks as on-ground footings.  This will make it easier to build very level --- and will protect the wood longer, but it may allow more grass and weeds to grow under.

Idea two:  running three runners of 2 x 6 along the ground to follow the mostly flat contour of the ground.  This will reduce eliminate grass and weeds, but shorten the  wood life.

And Question:  I'm leaning toward the runners on the ground -- and was thinking I would offset 16 foot boards on opposite sides to make one continuous run -- but also thought about building this is 8' sections and joining the sections.

Any thoughts? 

apaknad

are you considering the snow that will have to be cleaned off it?
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Redoverfarm

Fritz I would opt for the above ground.  You could roll out some "weed block" fabric under it to control the weeds.  You walk would last longer.  If you have ever built a temporary board walkway to a construction site and see how it looks 6 mons-1 year down the road.  Not very appealing. 

NM_Shooter

Are aesthetics critical?  Why not border the path with railroad ties, put drain tubes through where needed and fill with gravel?  If intent on a boardwalk, I'd raise it off the ground and use synthetic wood for the deck.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

OldDog

I have one at my home.  It is built just like a long, narrow deck on 4x4's about 6 inches off the ground.

Snow can be a pain in the butt.  I have found it best to clear it of snow before walking on it.

I did not put anything under it to stop grass and only have an occasional blade make it through the cracks.  I just hit it with the weed whacker when triming along the sides.
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

MarkAndDebbie

2x6's will have less chemicals than posts which are rated for direct ground contact. I don't know the different life expectancy, but you might check it out.

fritz

Thanks all, good stuff to think about....I'll post on my Builder Project thread as I get closer.