FLAT ROOF

Started by TATTER918, April 06, 2005, 02:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TATTER918

ANYONE HAVE COMMENTS ON FLAT ROOF'S LOOKING FOR GOOD/BAD
THANK YOU

Amanda_931

Need beefing up for snow loads.  A handful of roofing methods cannot be used under, say  3 in 12 pitch.  (Roll roofing's iffy, asphalt shingles a no-no, most metal roofing is not listed for that, although what the mini storages typically use is).  Rubber is the one usually recommended.  Leaf dams may impede drainage (little dams made of leaves and twigs, coming down from above--all natural, nothing exotic).

Gable roofs with a fair amount of pitch do give you an extra half-story without much trouble.

On the other hand a low pitch shed roof with rainwater collection approved rubber or EDPM, would make the plumbing for the rainwater collection simpler.  And it's possible that those of us who DON'T DO ROOFS might not be too afraid of framing and sheathing it.

Dan

i've had many thoughts on using prestressed concrete for building a small mostly earthbound (sides and back tucked into hill) "cabin" with a full glass front and an almost flat roof/deck.  probably not nearly as cost effective as other building methods, but would be something different from all the other cabins in my neck of the woods.

glenn kangiser

Have you read Mike Oehlers methods for doing the Underground Cabin, Dan?  Similar space for a fraction of the cost of concrete.  He doesn't like using the back of the cabin as a water dam and with no light so excavates the uphill side for an extra exit, ventilation,drainage and light.  He has several methods to get light on all 4 or more sides of an underground dwelling.

He refers to the three sides in the ground as the first thought house - or the way people usually first think of doing it. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Shelley

I've got a couple of questions Tatter.

Where are you...climate wise?

What do you mean by "flat"?

What roofing material were you thinking of using?

It's a dry heat.  Right.