14x24 in the Black Hills

Started by mpls_ham, September 21, 2010, 01:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpls_ham

Well I was able to side the front of the shack during a break in the weather.  I had planned to wait until spring to finish it but a chipmunk discovered that tyvek makes good nesting material.  I have learned in my experiences that a little chipmunk can be a bigger pain than a black bear.  Anyways, the weather has turned cold so I have been tiling the inside getting ready to move in the woodstove. 

Northern Black Hills - South Dakota

Redoverfarm

It is the damage that you don't see by pest that is disturbing.  Take note of the crawlspace for voids that were not there when you initially started framing.

mpls_ham

This summer I lost a couple of keys that I had hung on a nail hidden under my cabin.  I was starting to think that I was really losing my sanity.  A month later I found both keys at the base of a different trees around the cabin.  One of the keys had a rubber base that had been chewed up.   Talk about your gremlins ???

waggin

Quote from: mpls_ham on November 17, 2011, 05:32:26 PM
This summer I lost a couple of keys that I had hung on a nail hidden under my cabin.  I was starting to think that I was really losing my sanity.  A month later I found both keys at the base of a different trees around the cabin.  One of the keys had a rubber base that had been chewed up.   Talk about your gremlins ???

That's happening to me as well, but mine aren't rubber coated.  I'm trying to come up with some sort inconspicuous but accessible container to keep them in now.  Not sure if it's the chipmunks, the squirrels, birds, or Homer Simpson.  Ooooh, shiny objects!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

OlJarhead

Quote from: waggin on November 17, 2011, 09:00:54 PM
That's happening to me as well, but mine aren't rubber coated.  I'm trying to come up with some sort inconspicuous but accessible container to keep them in now.  Not sure if it's the chipmunks, the squirrels, birds, or Homer Simpson.  Ooooh, shiny objects!

There are combo coded key holders that we use in telecom for remote sites that you can get at any lock store.  Just look for the steel box that you mount on the wall with a code to punch in to open it.

Then install somewhere hidden but easy enough to punch in the code and you've got a hidden key that is safe and secure from small pests and two legged pests :)

waggin

Good idea, thanks.  I already own several of them and didn't even think of using them.   d*  The price is right when you already own something as well.  The ones I have are the doorknob/railing loop style mounting, so I'll just hang them on a nail under the deck or somewhere else that's unobtrusive but convenient.

http://www.amazon.com/AccessPoint-001406-KeySafe-Portable-Push-Button/dp/B000GTOU9C/ref=acc_glance_hi_ai_ps_t_3
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

BRUTAL

LOL.....on the keys. thats why they call it Coon fingering. Racoons gotta touch everything, especially shiny keys. My neighbors rescued a baby coon thats a full grown pet that has to go everywhere with him and the dogs. He said she has taken his keys out of his pockets and hidden them or just left them laying around on more than a few occassions.
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11116.0
making mistakes along the way and wishing Ide been here sooner :)

mpls_ham

My latest and most enjoyable improvement has been the woodstove.  It was a real bear getting it into the cabin myself.  I removed the firebrick to make it lighter to move.  What I did not know was that each brick was shaved to fit so it was like a chinese puzzle getting them to fit back in.  A couple of hours later and I was in business.

Here is another pic of the slider I installed last spring.

TheWire

After giving keys to visitors and misplacing others, I solved my key issue with a Schlage digital dead-bolt.  This model remembers several different combinations and uses a electronic clutch.  The clutch connects the outside knob to the inner unlocking mechanism.  A clutch based lock uses a lot less battery power than the locks that have a motor do the work of moving the deadbolt.  Its got a key override in case the battery goes completely dead.

mpls_ham

It has been almost a year since my last confession I thought I might add one ;)  The majority of the projects were on the inside.  I hauled up most of the insulation in early January before the deep snow came and put it up.  I had planned on insulating the floor but I am now considering leaving it uninsulated....My woodstove heats the place up just fine without it and I am concerned that I might turn the cabin into a large sauna if I do it.  Any opinions?

In the spring I did sheetrock, tape and texture.  I decided to finish the remainder of the floor in ceramic tile because I wasn't able to decide on a wood floor and I wanted something bullet-proof that could handle melting snow.  I worried about the tiles being colder than wood but it all warms up nicely after a couple of hours.

The next project was installing carsiding on the vaulted ceiling and I can say that was the most miserable project yet.  I did it alone so there was a learning curve and the ladder climbing wore me out.  But I am happy with the result and it is now officially behind me.  I also trimmed out 90% of the inside.   I pulled out the enclosed trailer late October (along with my all my tools) and have been spending November actually enjoying the fruits of my labor......splitting firewood and hunting.  It took me a couple of weeks to relax and not contemplate what to do next.

speedfunk

looks like our vogelzang defender.  Enjoy.  Ceiling looks good!

RustyScupper

Have you segmented the cabin into rooms or just open on the main floor?  I am looking to build something like that in Western WI.  Maybe I will see your place from the trail while riding in Spearfish this June.

mpls_ham

We have left it wide open.  We use an outhouse; )  My work has slowed down since last year.  The last 5% is a killer.