DeKalb County is suing a local farmer for growing too many vegetables

Started by rick91351, September 13, 2010, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

America the land of the free so long as you do nothing.  But grow a huge garden in the wrong spot, to give away and go to the Farmer Market...  Son you are up on charges!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24979774/detail.html

County Sues Farmer, Cites Too Many Crops
WSB-TV
Related Stories/Links

Posted: 5:20 pm EDT September 12, 2010Updated: 9:06 am EDT September 13, 2010
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- DeKalb County is suing a local farmer for growing too many vegetables, but he said he will fight the charges in the ongoing battle neighbors call "Cabbagegate."

Fig trees, broccoli and cabbages are among the many greens that line the soil on Steve Miller's more than two acres in Clarkston, who said he has spent fifteen years growing crops to give away and sell at local farmers markets.
"It's a way of life, like it's something in my blood," said Miller.
In January, Dekalb County code enforcement officers began ticketing him for growing too many crops for the zoning and having unpermitted employees on site.
Miller stopped growing vegetables this summer and the charges were put on hold as he got the property rezoned.
Two weeks after approval, however, his attorney said the county began prosecuting the old charges, saying he was technically in violation before the rezoning.
"It should go away. I think it borders on harassment," said Miller's attorney Doug Dillard.
Miller faces nearly $5,000 in fines, but he said he plans to fight those citations in recorders court later this month.
A county spokesperson said officials can't discuss the matter while it is in court, but neighbors were quick to come to his defense.
"When he moved here and I found out what he was doing I said, 'Steve, you're the best thing that ever happened to Cimarron Drive. And I still say that," said neighbor Britt Fayssoux.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

peternap

I saw that first thing when I opened the news feeds.

Local Government is as big a threat as the Feds!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Windpower

S510 is for 'Food Safety'

Actually the version I read a while back eliminated the Fourth amendment if your property was defined as a food production facility.

"they" will have unlimited access to your property to 'inspect'

I think the bill is soon to be voted on IIRC

Call your Senator and write a few $20,000 checks to their campaign fund --- maybe they will listen to you instead of Monsanto 
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

I had a friend say that it was alarmist to think that it was to stop us from growing things at home etc.  but give them vague laws and they will stretch their power to it's fullest and then some.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yikes.... this is nuts.  I'm surprised it is happening in Georgia.  I could see it in someplace like IL, WI, CA, NY or the like.  I know that as beekeepers, we're supposed to register our hives with the state (so you get the blame if rogue bees sting someone, IMO, OMMV).  There is another option, though, and that is just to write your name and phone and address on the side of your hives in writing that can be read from a distance (I think it is required to be in 2" or larger lettering.)  I figure that most people who'd bother with it couldn't find our hives if they wanted, though, lol.