Which American accent do you have?

Started by Redoverfarm, July 02, 2009, 06:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phssthpok

Funny..they say I'm neutral. but with the exception of a six month stint living fifteen minutes south of the middle of nowhere in Utah* a few years back I've lived my entire life in the Portland/Vancouver area.

You'd think that would score me a 'western' accent. ???

*Literally...if you stab your finger down smack-dab in the middle of Utah on a map, and figure about fifteen minutes travel southward....that's where I was. :P

MountainDon

Quote from: Phssthpok on July 13, 2009, 04:59:59 PM
*Literally...if you stab your finger down smack-dab in the middle of Utah on a map, and figure about fifteen minutes travel southward....that's where I was. :P

Actually the "Middle of Nowhere, USA" was calculated to be in the Henry Mountains in south eastern UT. This was based on census data being used to calculate acre per person numbers.

The carnuts at Car & Driver Magazine were sitting around years ago when they wondered just where the Middle of Nowhere really was. They hired an actuary to do the research. They also talked Land Rover into lending them a vehicle so they could drive, or at least attempt to drive to the calculated spot. That proved impossible but IIRC they did hike to the spot. I had the article at one time, but have lost track of it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on July 13, 2009, 06:36:59 PM

Actually the "Middle of Nowhere, USA" was calculated to be in the Henry Mountains in south eastern UT. This was based on census data being used to calculate acre per person numbers.

And the whole time I thought it was where I lived.  ;D