This really ticked me off

Started by Mike 870, December 16, 2008, 10:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

While part of me agrees with Don that no group should be treated differently a larger part wants to see the folly of most building departments publicized and the pendulum of power start swinging in the other direction for a while.  Here is how the Amish might well fare under many building departments if they sought a variance.

Amish farmer goes into the building department with a set of plans for a timber frame house.  The same basic house has been built by his kinsmen for generations.  The plans are not in compliance with the prescriptive code so an engineer's seal will be required.  In some states the engineer can do the engineering drawings, but the architect lobby has prevailed and said farmer needs an architect to do the architectural drawings.  So the architect and engineer redo the drawings (at significant expense) long used by the Amish and in their usual operating procedure they now claim to have a copyright to them, so they can't be shared with other farmers without paying a royalty.  If the farmer doesn't want to install central heat he will have to get a variance from the planning board or county commission.  Maybe a three month delay.

Any case that would restore to the owner - builder rights he should never have relinquished will get my support.

glenn kangiser

How is it that we have allowed big business and parasitic taxing agencies to take away our freedom to build our own shelter.  It is a disgrace. 

America, the land of the free --- my a$$.  I want to take it back and throw the fascists into Boston Harbor....

Building shelter to protect our families is a privilege that we must pay for?

To be able to provide for our loved ones we have to ask government permission and blessing or they will fine us and throw us in the slammer?  Not under My Constitution.  [crz]

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

The thing is they have my support. Bad enough I am REQUIRED to vent for a dryer for our cabin. I am not sure we will ever even have a washer or dryer at our cabin, but I am required to have the vent even if I do not plumb for it.

glenn kangiser

You are a helpless victim of the system, Stinky. ::)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

I know the vent seems minor, but really it is not. It is how all these stupid things lobbied by industry that make it required, makes it crazy. The spirit of why these government bodies have been created have been lost . I understand and think it is a good idea if you have someone else build your home, to have them jump through hoops to make sure they are not crooks or bad builders. But I have issue with the government stepping in if a home builder/owner wants to build  for them self. How many Amish homes go on the market for resale? The Amish have my support.

Whitlock

Like my dad told the inspectors it's my house if you don't like it get the $%&*^ out!

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

An inspector told my friend Dean's wife he didn't like log homes while he was inspecting theirs.

She kicked him out and never did allow him back.

Stink, you sound like me.  Have you been associating with the wrong group? hmm

StinkerBell

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 17, 2008, 12:29:29 PM
An inspector told my friend Dean's wife he didn't like log homes while he was inspecting theirs.

She kicked him out and never did allow him back.

Stink, you sound like me.  Have you been associating with the wrong group? hmm
Nah, I suspect you have a deeper sounding voice.....

glenn kangiser

I have a beard also --- you? hmm

Ernest T. Bass

Quote from: Whitlock on December 17, 2008, 02:32:54 AM
Like my dad told the inspectors it's my house if you don't like it get the $%&*^ out!

That's an awful tempting way to treat 'em, but we've had good luck with the plastic-smile-and-occasional-agreeable-nod approach. Our inspector pops in uninvited and noses around for a couple minutes, but he usually doesn't say much. I consider ourselves fortunate when I hear of other experiences with him, but I think the aggressive attitude is usually what creates problems. Why pick a fight...

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

I do it for entertainment, Andrew.  I love to pick on jerk inspectors.  The last jerk one wanted me to call in and get him removed from the job as he didn't want to deal with me.  I told him if he just does his job reasonably I have no problem with him.

On the other hand I go out of my way to be nice to the good oness.  I treat them like they treat me.  If they are nice I treat them nice but if they are jerks then I show them what a real jerk is like. :) [crz]

...but. that said, you are right to try nice first, Andrew. 

I'll bet he admires what you are doing also.

Ernest T. Bass

I don't know, but I guess he is pretty "nice" as far as inspectors go.. Quiet and quick is always nice. :)

We have a friend from church who used to be an inspector. He sounded like one that you would want to have; knowledgeable and flexible, and always in the person's best interest. Unfortunately, he quit because of how corrupt his trade was... He would get into trouble when he didn't condemn perfectly sound buildings if it happened to be in the town's best interest that they were, etc.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

Just the tip of the iceberg, Andrew.  When they get corrupt enough they can run for office.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 18, 2008, 01:08:04 AM
Just the tip of the iceberg, Andrew.  When they get corrupt enough they can run for office.

Then they get elected. ???

StinkerBell

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 18, 2008, 12:27:45 AM
I have a beard also --- you? hmm

I have this one wild chin hair. All of sudden it will appear and it is 3 inches long. scary stuff.

glenn kangiser

You got it, John.

Stink, somehow I find that rather exciting.... [crz] 

rofl