better than storebought

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, November 06, 2008, 02:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

found this recipe a while back and it's so good I thought I'd post a link.  I put more nuts (almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts) and added flax and coconut, dried cherries and cranberries.  Better make two batches because they won't last long!
http://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/04/11/homemade-granola-bar-recipe-no-high-fructose-corn-syrup-in-these-bars/

Homegrown Tomatoes

by the way, I've also made them substituting crushed sunflower seeds for the peanuts when I was out f peanuts

Whitlock

I might add this is a wonderful way to make breakfast cereal also [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Homegrown Tomatoes

I started hunting for a recipe for actual granola bars because when I'd make homemade granola, I couldn't ever get it to be sticky enough to make it into bars.  A few of the different attempts were scorched (because I put the fruit in the bars before the toasting process) or they just fell to pieces when I tried to pick them up.  The good news is that all the failures were really tasty.  The girls like the crumbly granola with yogurt or milk, or just take it with them in the car in a ziplock bag (which I'm not so thrilled about because now there's a dusting of honey-coated wheat germ floating around the back seat.)  These are really delicious.  I like the combination of sweet/salty or sweet/hot, so I was thinking about adding some cayenne spiced toasted pumpkin seeds to the recipe to see what they turn out like.  Anyway, they're really good.  (Oh, if you add the coconut, toast it with the nuts and seeds.)

Whitlock

After looking at the recipe you might not want to cook the vanilla with the sugar, honey, butter and salt.
You do this in order to keep it's full flavor. Vanilla is mostly alcohol and it burns off.
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Homegrown Tomatoes

You know something funny?  I don't think I've ever even put the vanilla in there!  I am sure I didn't this last time I made them.  Think I got busy doing other stuff and completely forgot about it.  They taste fine without it, though.

glenn kangiser

I think you were sipping the vanilla for it's alcohol content, Homey... [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

???  Hmmm...maybe that's where all the vanilla went!

StinkerBell

My MIL makes a wonderful homemade Baileys......