Don't Know Or Care
0 (0%)
The Rest Of Us
12 (63.2%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: November 04, 2008, 08:33:13 PM

sparks

I couldn't help it.........That poll thingy is cool.... ;D

Personally, I feel someone is about to become pres of the US, and this country is not
ready for it. Just my gut opinion.

Sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

MountainDon

Quote from: sparks on November 03, 2008, 08:33:13 PM
I couldn't help it.........That poll thingy is cool.... ;D

Sparks

Agreed!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

I voted....mostly hopeful thinking.

An interesting sidenote. I usually ignore internet rumors or hysteria....but in talking with a number of friends with local Police Departments and state agencies, it seems that they are all preparing for trouble.

I did a little snooping in the Black neighborhoods and in talking to people I know, found to my surprise, many aren't voting for Obama. These are fairly intelligent people (even the ones that are voting for him). They are telling me that the problems probably will happen but they will happen in the slums with the less informed blacks (That wasn't exactly the way it was phrased but this is a family board ::))

So never to be accused of not overreacting, have all the vehicles gassed up, A shotgun, rifle and handgun in each one...and a weeks supply of popcorn! ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Not from the internet but from another source, there is a possible plan for supposedly unstoppable 3 way race riots and martial law soon also.  (Possibly after Osama  bama, I meant bama is assassinated) Note that I am not suggesting this -- It is something I was told about.  A wait and see thing I guess.

Another bowl of popcorn, please...
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I couldn't believe something that was on the news yesterday... locally.  A group had organized and marched to the county election board to vote early, probably 200-400 people, and they're all holding signs supporting Obama and making a lot of noise, stopping traffic, etc.  Anyway, the reporter talked to one guy and he says something along the lines of, "Yeah, it's time fo' all them fat ol' Good Ol' Boys to go home and start tendin' they crops and cows and get someone who knows what he's doin' in there."  I couldn't help but think, if the shoe were on the other foot and it was some white guy saying something similar about black politicians, there'd be a riot.  Everyone would be screaming "racist", etc.  However, the reporter managed a fairly straight face through most of it, but then when he tried to say that the march had been organized by churches and civic groups as a "non-partisan" Get Out the Vote activity, he almost choked on the word, and you could tell he thought it was a joke.  Our pastor and church is predominately black and Hispanic, yet none of them seem to be voting for Obama, and the pastor has been very critical of him from the pulpit (which I'm sure isn't PC, but he doesn't care, as he doesn't care if the church is tax exempt or not.)  They don't seem thrilled with McCain, either, but seem to choose him as the lesser of two evils.  I think that there are some of them who would like to see a black man as president in a way, but they can't support his platform.   Whew.  I'll just be glad when the election is over.  I plan on walking down the street to vote as soon as the kids finish their breakfast this morning...want to get down there and back before any craziness erupts.  Got the popcorn handy.   ::)

Squirl

There have been white people saying that about black politicians.  They are all over the internet on full display.  You can watch it on CNN even. No riots.  If you have not heard that from a single white person not voting for Obama because he is black, congratulations.  I haven't stopped hearing it from people. No minority politician has ever gotten to the presidential level.  The only president that was not a white Anglo Saxon protestant male president in the 232 years of the united states was Kennedy, and he didn't even survive a full term. Speaking of assignation, Kennedy was assassinated and passionately supported by less informed white Catholics.  No riots.  I don't think we have to fear black people or the race wars that the KKK keep telling me are coming.

peternap

Here are the voting problems in central Va. So far.
Gonna be a long night.

REPORTED PROBLEMS:

* 308 precint Library
      Librarian overslept did not open until 5:55am and voters let in at 6:25am
    * Swift Creek Middle School-Midlothian
      Machines stopped working -- no techanican on site. Long lines, hundreds of people waiting in line. Paper ballots were given out and filled out but can not be used because of broken machines. Ballots are being put in a metal container. Voters are worried about their votes being counted and privacy.
    * Tucker Middle School Polling Station-Henrico-Parham RoadLine wrapped around building
    * Math and Science Center-on Hoffman
      2 out of 9 machines are working
    * Godwin School-Pump Road
      Out of 7 machines 1 is working.
      Handing out paper ballots without any instructions on how to fill out ballets.
      Voters feel uneasy that their votes are not being counted.
    * MT. Herman Chruch-Genito Road/Mt. Herman near West Woodland
      Traffic backed up because people have been parking in the streets and blocking the main highway.
    * Precint 108-Hunting-Henrico County
      Voting machines not working.
      Paper ballots are being filled out but put in an open brief case.
      Voters have no way of knowing if their vote will be counted.
    * Glen Allen Library
      Lines shorter
    * Colonial Heights Middle School
      Just long lines
    * Clover Hill High School
      Broken machines
    * Good Shepherd Church (Petersburg)
      Voting machines broken
    * Greenwood Elementary
      Only one voting machine working
    * Main Street Station
      Long Lines-elderly poll workers slow and requiring voters to have picture id with voter registration
    * Union Station in Petersburg
      Long lines, no machines working
    * Hermitage Road
      4 out of 9 machines are down
    * Wilder Middle School-Henrico
      1 out of 5 polling machines are working
    * Jahnke Road-District 9-Chesterfield Square
      Lines were long
      Voter stood in line from 5am to 7:30am
    * Poll Green
      Unorganinzed chaotic
    * Southside Baptist-6000 Iron Bridge
      Cars being towed by WAWA
    * Hanover Rescue Squad
      Handwritten ballots
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

ONE thing I have to give Gov Bill of NM credit for is having us go back to using paper ballots. We had machines and loads of troubles too a few elections ago. Of course that doesn't prevent other screwups, like not having enough ballots.

They are tabulated by machine, but the vote is on paper.

Why is it so hard to make a voting machine work? ATM's work great with keeping an accurate balance and are seldom down for service.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

Report from Cottage Grove MN:

No lines at 10:00 this morning.  Extra booths up to accommodate the anticipated voters.

Took me less than 5 minutes from the time I entered the parking lot.

One of the good reasons to live in Minnesota.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Homegrown Tomatoes

It took about 45 minutes to get in line, go through and vote.  Not bad.  DH had to wait an hour and a half this morning, and he was there when the polls opened.  The folks did ask for a photo ID, which I gave them along with my voter ID.  There was only one machine (the ballots are paper, but they go through a machine to tabulate the votes... kind of feel like a kid at achievment test time, only with a marker instead of the #2 pencil.

Quote from: Squirl on November 04, 2008, 09:31:06 AM
There have been white people saying that about black politicians.  They are all over the internet on full display.  You can watch it on CNN even. No riots.  If you have not heard that from a single white person not voting for Obama because he is black, congratulations.  I haven't stopped hearing it from people. No minority politician has ever gotten to the presidential level.  The only president that was not a white Anglo Saxon protestant male president in the 232 years of the united states was Kennedy, and he didn't even survive a full term. Speaking of assignation, Kennedy was assassinated and passionately supported by less informed white Catholics.  No riots.  I don't think we have to fear black people or the race wars that the KKK keep telling me are coming.

No, I don't know of a single person who is not voting for Obama because of his race.  It matters very little to me what color someone's skin is (if you don't believe me, check out our family photo).  What does matter, though,  are issues.  I congratulate Obama for making it this far in the process, but just as I wouldn't vote AGAINST someone because of the color of his skin, neither would I vote FOR someone because of the color of his skin... seems like a silly reason to vote for someone, and what I got out of the news broadcast I mentioned earlier was that these people didn't give a rip about any of the issues, but were simply voting for him because he was black.  No mention was made of any reasons for voting for him other than the fact that he is black (or, should we get technical, I'd say he's more brown.)  It reminds me of when I was in college taking a Native American Literature class.  I made a statement one day that I thought that the only reason that some of the books we were required to read were classified as literature was that they were written by Native Americans, and if the same story had been written by a black or white person, it would have been in the bargain book rack down at Hasting's. Keep in mind, I was the only Native American in the class, but the ferocity I experienced for saying such an outrageous thing was unimaginable.  My prof wrote on one of my papers, "Geez, you really just don't get it, do you?" and gave me a "C" even though the only problem with the paper was that I didn't agree with him that it was somehow great literature.  I am not saying racism doesn't exist, but I think it is much rarer than people think, and it goes both ways... it isn't just white folks against the world.  And a lot of stuff that gets billed as racism is not, plain and simple.  Good grief, it gets to the point where you aren't even entitled to an opinion... if you're critical of anything, it seems like the race card always comes up.  And FWIW, I have NEVER accepted government handouts just because I could get them because of my race.  It is an insult to my intelligence and ability to do for myself.  Anyway, sorry to drift so far from the original topic, but it is one of my hot button issues ever since I can remember.

Whitlock

Good for you Homegrown Tomatoes.
I have always wondered why there are so many people that worry about the color of one's skin.
You can't pick it out when you are born.

If we were invaded by aliens tomorrow do you think that it would matter what race you were from anymore?
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Sassy

I work with people of all nationalities around the world & different races...  I haven't heard anything about race being a factor in who people are voting for...  in fact, I was surprised that so many people I would have thought would vote for Obama, are voting for McCain or Chuck Baldwin (Constitutional ticket).  I only know of 1 person who is voting for Obama - she is black & her husband is white.  Most of Obama's stand on the issues are against her beliefs (abortion, same sex marriage, the bailout etc) She is very bright - I think it is more that he would be the 1st black (actually partially black) president, if he made it.  So I guess she would be the only one voting for Obama due to race... 

I vote absentee ballot... can't believe all the problems they're having where you live, Peternap!  Wonder what is happening other places...  I don't trust the machines...  there's no paper trail...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Squirl

Many people fail to realize that most African Americans would be voting for Obama no matter what race he is.  He is a democrat.  African Americans have traditionally voted almost 90% for democrats for president since Lyndon Johnson pushed through civil rights.  Whether they have conservative values or not, when most dixiecrats became republicans they stopped voting republican.  The republican party has not made a concerted effort to reach out to African Americans since.  It is more about party identification than race.

peternap

I'm proud that people like all of you still exist. That is the way folks should be...Unfortunately, there aren't many around and I have confessed several times, I'm not as open minded,
Here's a good example why:

Voting Intimidation By Black Panthers In Philadelphia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCeD1RcJjAg

muldoon

Quote from: Squirl on November 04, 2008, 01:54:15 PM
Many people fail to realize that most African Americans would be voting for Obama no matter what race he is.  He is a democrat.  African Americans have traditionally voted almost 90% for democrats for president since Lyndon Johnson pushed through civil rights.  Whether they have conservative values or not, when most dixiecrats became republicans they stopped voting republican.  The republican party has not made a concerted effort to reach out to African Americans since.  It is more about party identification than race.

I agree with that statement.  I also would add everyone in this nation who works for a union.  And then add in a few other demographics that typically vote along the same party lines.  (think entitlement receivership).  The funny thing to me is that poor people have been voting democratic for decades and their still poor. 

I have not heard anyone voting for Obama because he is black, but I have heard a few who are voting for him.  Most who have saidf that essentially said it was more to do with NOT voting for McCaine than specifically voting for Obama.  While they may have joined his bandwagon when I ask why it's the same tired message, Bush this Bush that - we have to change it .. change to what?  no one knows they just know it has to go.    I'm not saying I agree with this, but I do understand the point of view.  Of course I have heard the opposite, the I cannot vote for him crowd.  I understand that too as he truly has some very unlikable qualities. 

As for myself, I do not believe there is any functioning difference between the two of them.  They may disagree on the some flash and current event soundbites they are two faces of the same coin.  It is very easy to blame other people for your problems; in fact current politics has been based on this philosophy for decades.  Rich people - look at those poor people taking your money; poor people - look at those rich people with all the money.  Politicians are on no ones side in my opinion, they just cater to a different base for support.   

I think McCaine will give us a continual slow decline with the same bad policies. 
I think Obama will give us a much faster decline with new bad policies. 
Finally, I think Americans will finally get fed up with the state were in if the change is fast and drastic. 

Thats why I voted for change.  I purposely picked what I believe to be the worse of two evils on those grounds.  god help me. 

ScottA

QuoteI think McCaine will give us a continual slow decline with the same bad policies. 
Finally, I think Americans will finally get fed up with the state were in if the change is fast and drastic. 

Sadly I don't think this will happen. They are careful to test our limits when changes are imposed. If they go too far like they did with fuel prices they back off for a bit. But bit by bit we are inched closer to their goals.

This election like most elections for the past 50 years is an illusion. You are a cow in a chute and at some point you are given a choice to go left or right only to have the two chutes reconverge later on. The sick trick is to make you belive you have actualy chosen your own path but the truth is there was never any obvious choice. The path that goes unnoticed by the vast mass of humanity is that of climbing over the fence. That path has hazards that are taught to all of us and that we quickly learned. Climb over the fence and you'll be hit in the rump with a hot shot. For those that don't know what that is it like a taser for cows. We had those long before anyone ever heard of a taser. You think it's strange that a device that was once used only for livestock is now used on humans? Even the hot shot won't stop all the cattle though some still get out but sadly few if any ever get away for long.

You go ahead and chose the chute you like, red or blue it doen't really matter. As for me I'm climbing over the fence and taking my chances. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: muldoon on November 04, 2008, 02:24:55 PM
Quote from: Squirl on November 04, 2008, 01:54:15 PM

I agree with that statement.  I also would add everyone in this nation who works for a union.  And then add in a few other demographics that typically vote along the same party lines.  (think entitlement receivership).  The funny thing to me is that poor people have been voting democratic for decades and their still poor. 

I have not heard anyone voting for Obama because he is black, but I have heard a few who are voting for him.  Most who have saidf that essentially said it was more to do with NOT voting for McCaine than specifically voting for Obama.  While they may have joined his bandwagon when I ask why it's the same tired message, Bush this Bush that - we have to change it .. change to what?  no one knows they just know it has to go.    I'm not saying I agree with this, but I do understand the point of view.  Of course I have heard the opposite, the I cannot vote for him crowd.  I understand that too as he truly has some very unlikable qualities. 

As for myself, I do not believe there is any functioning difference between the two of them.  They may disagree on the some flash and current event soundbites they are two faces of the same coin.  It is very easy to blame other people for your problems; in fact current politics has been based on this philosophy for decades.  Rich people - look at those poor people taking your money; poor people - look at those rich people with all the money.  Politicians are on no ones side in my opinion, they just cater to a different base for support.   

I think McCaine will give us a continual slow decline with the same bad policies. 

Thats why I voted for change.  I purposely picked what I believe to be the worse of two evils on those grounds.  god help me. 

Muldoon, I tend to agree with the last part of what you said... that McCain will be a more gradual (more innocuous looking?) decline, but Obama will be swift move down and I understand the hopes that Americans will get fed up with fast and drastic decline.  However, I think most Americans are really oblivious to what's going on, and I really mean most, and I'm not sure that they'll get fed up fast enough to actually do anything about it, so therefore, I voted for more of the same.  I mean, when gas shot up to $4 a gallon, I still saw folks buzzing here and there in their Hummers and Navigators... it seems like they were annoyed, but not asking the questions and demanding answers like they should have been. 

Our next door neighbor is a union boss.  Nice folks, really.  Girls and I walked down to the polling place a few blocks away and the neighbor lady drove about the same time.  We ended up in line next to one another.  Their yard is peppered with Obama signs and signs for the democrat challenging Jim Inhofe's seat in the senate.  I thought, well, here we are basically cancelling out each other's votes.

cordwood

Quote from: ScottA on November 04, 2008, 04:52:57 PM
QuoteI think McCaine will give us a continual slow decline with the same bad policies. 

Sadly I don't think this will happen. They are careful to test our limits when changes are imposed. If they go too far like they did with fuel prices they back off for a bit. But bit by bit we are inched closer to their goals.

This election like most elections for the past 50 years is an illusion. You are a cow in a chute and at some point you are given a choice to go left or right only to have the two chutes reconverge later on. The sick trick is to make you belive you have actualy chosen your own path but the truth is there was never any obvious choice. The path that goes unnoticed by the vast mass of humanity is that of climbing over the fence. That path has hazards that are taught to all of us and that we quickly learned. Climb over the fence and you'll be hit in the rump with a hot shot. For those that don't know what that is it like a taser for cows. We had those long before anyone ever heard of a taser. You think it's strange that a device that was once used only for livestock is now used on humans? Even the hot shot won't stop all the cattle though some still get out but sadly few if any ever get away for long.

You go ahead and chose the chute you like, red or blue it doen't really matter. As for me I'm climbing over the fence and taking my chances. 
If enough of us climb the fence maybe they will put in more chutes........ Or just make the fence higher! >:(

But I kind of though it reminded me of a Blue and a Red OUTHOUSE! They are both so full of it! ::)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

NM_Shooter

Interesting quotes....

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
-- Thomas Jefferson

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess of the public treasury. From that time on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the results that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.
-- Sir Alexander Fraser Tyler

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Frank
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

sparks

Thanks to all of you that took the time to stop by here and vote.

I believe we know who the real losers are now.

Sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

There can be no winners.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

karnf

The country has  a couple of months for the real truth of him to come out. Our country deserves to know the truth about him being a citizen of this country and the fraudulent votes he got for in my opinion he stole the
election (Ohio, Philadelphia Acorn found fraud votes) which the liberal judge let go.
I believe as far as this country; it is the beginning of the end. I am not in denial but the people who voted
for him are.

glenn kangiser

Funny the court threw the Kenya birth out rather than address it and put it to rest.  Look for that to continue and another -resident is installed by the court.

Homegrown Tomatoes

DH mentioned this morning as we were hashing over politics about the fact that South Korea elected a Japanese born Korean man as their president (if you know anything about the history of the region, it is surprising.)  Now there is an uproar because one of the first things he did was to travel to Japan and bow to the Japanese.  We talked about the fact that a "vote for change" in S. Korea has resulted in destabilization of the area and some diplomatic tight spots.  I think America is in for worse than that...don't be surprised if in the next few years the gov is trying to micromanage every aspect of your life.

glenn kangiser

Nearly all of our people including Resident Osama have sworn support for or are dual Israeli citizens.  I don't recall any of them swearing support for the United States of America.