Medeek Project Plugin

Started by Medeek, January 14, 2023, 04:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 1.0.1 - 01.14.2023
- Added the Grid Tool to the main toolbar.
- Enabled a parametric grid tool with major and minor grid lines.

I'm a huge fan of the free Grid Tool provided by SketchUp in the Extension Warehouse.  However my only one complaint is that with a grid like this it is hard to visually tell how many units over you are when trying to measure out a house or any other structure.  After giving it some thought, I concluded that major grid lines would go a long way in alleviating this one deficiency.

I also thought it would be nice to include a grid tool in the plugin since it would eliminate the user from having to go out and install yet another plugin (ie. the SU Grid Tool) from the warehouse. 

I've created an updated version of this classic plugin by adding in major grid lines (that default to 4 feet and minor grid lines that default to 1 foot).  Currently these settings are hard coded into the tool however one can easily edit a grid once created and modify both minor and major grid line parameters in both the x and y directions.  I will eventually add a global settings tab for this tool so one can set the global defaults.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

First look at the project info tool:

I still have some major changes for the General tab.  First and foremost I want to try in incorporate an interactive Google Maps window with a button to auto-geo locate based on the address that is input by the user.  Then also have the ability to zoom the map as necessary and refine the geo-location on the map.  Using the Google maps API I should be able to get the lat, long and elevation (which will be important for the determination of other site criteria).

I've already done a good bit of programming using the Google API's on my website (running on my server) but this is something a bit new so I'm still uncertain if it will work within SketchUp.  This should prove to be interesting.

Medeek

Version 1.0.2 - 01.16.2023
- Added the General Data tab to the Project Information tool.
- Enabled a dynamic map (with geolocation) within the General Data tab of the Project Information tool.

This new feature is quite experimental so I am hoping for some feedback on it.

Medeek

Version 1.0.2b - 01.16.2023
- Fixed a bug with the Grid Tool and the Project Info Tool.

!ATTENTION!
This is a critical bug fix for the Grid Tool and the Project Info tool.  Please download and replace the previous version of the plugin.

Medeek

Version 1.0.2c - 01.17.2023
- Fixed a namespace bug with the Grid Tool.

Medeek

Version 1.0.2d - 01.19.2023
- Optimized the Google Map API portion of the Project Info tool.
- Choice of map type made persistent across different sessions.

Tutorial 1: Introduction (20.01 min.)
https://youtu.be/tIjP3HhAQKU

Medeek

Medeek

First look at the Title Block tool in action:

Note that these title blocks are being drawn in SketchUp not Layout so they may only have limited utility but I think they still may be useful for those wanting to quickly throw together something for presentation purpose.

The Customer, Architect/Designer and Engineers data is pulled as the default but all of this information can be customized completely.

I call this title block a "no frills" title block, just a functional element that is simply meant to convey the most basic information.

Medeek

Version 1.0.3 - 01.26.2023
- Added the EOR tab to the Project Information tool.
- Added the AOR tab to the Project Information tool.
- Added the Title Block Tool to the main toolbar.
- Added a parametric Title Block tool.

Let me know what you all think of this feature.  Again I don't believe this should replace a proper Title Block in Layout but it will offer a quick and dirty solution in SketchUp for those who don't need or want to go into Layout.

I should probably also put out a short tutorial video on this feature and now it integrates with the Project Information data.

Medeek

Tutorial 2 - Title Blocks (16:33 min.)

Medeek

Version 1.0.4 - 01.29.2023
- Added the Seismic tab to the Project Information tool.
- Added site parameters (Building Standard, Risk Category, Site Soil Class) to the General Data tab of the Project Information tool.
- Enabled the USGS lookup tool for the following standards: ASCE7-10, ASCE7-16, ASCE7-22.

This tab is not quite complete. I would like to add a button which allows one to automatically generate a PDF report with the seismic data.  Most of the code for that tool/feature is already in place but I need to still figure out the details between the integration of my website and the back end Ruby connection with SketchUp.

Once that piece of the puzzle is added then this tool actually becomes useful in the real world.

Medeek

Once you have enough information specified in the Seismic tab then the "Download PDF Report" button will appear:

The PDF report will something like this (this one is actually a snow load report):

Medeek

Version 1.0.5 - 02.04.2023
- Enabled a PDF Seismic Report generator within the Seismic tab of the Project Information tool.

https://forums.sketchup.com/uploads/short-url/n033ufC1CYEjTuq6zTHraGs6xX8.pdf

Medeek

Tutorial 3 - Seismic Reports (9:28 min.)

Medeek

Version 1.0.6 - 02.06.2023
- Fixed a bug with the Title Block Tool.

Medeek

Version 1.0.7 - 02.08.2023
- Added optional labels (x-axis and/or y-axis) for major grid lines within the Grid Tool.

This additional feature per customer request.

Medeek

Version 1.0.8 - 02.12.2023
- Added floor layers to the Layer Control Tool.

Note the Floor plugin has not yet been released, this update is in preparation for when it is released.

Medeek

Version 1.0.8b - 02.13.2023
- Fixed a bug in the Estimating module for king stud quantities for windows and doors (metric units).

Medeek

Version 1.0.9 - 03.10.2023
- Fixed a bug with the Trim 3 tool.

Medeek

Version 1.1.0 - 07.01.2023
- Enabled FIS notation for dimensions in the General tab of the Global Settings.
- Added rafter lengths (with total length or minimum stock length) for gable and hip rafter roofs within the Medeek Estimator.

The rafter lengths are currently only available for imperial units.  If I get requests for this to be extended to metric units I will make this also available for metric units.

The rafter length in this case is actually the rafter length minus the overhang, so technically it is the length to the seat cut.

Medeek

Version 1.1.1 - 07.30.2023
- Updated the estimating module to provide more granular data for wall top plates.

*Note:  If this updated version is installed then Version 3.2.3 of the Wall plugin is required in order to obtain wall top plate data.

This update per customer request.

Medeek

Version 1.1.2 - 08.01.2023
- Updated the estimating module to provide location data (within a wall) for windows, doors, garage doors and in-wall columns.

Medeek

Version 1.1.3 - 09.06.2023
- Updated the scene generator to include gable, shed and hip walls.

Medeek

Version 1.1.4 - 07.01.2023
- Added complex rafter roofs within the Medeek Estimator.
- Added rafter labels (total length) for complex rafter roofs within the Medeek Estimator.

Medeek

Version 1.1.5 - 01.23.2024
- Fixed a bug with the Extend Tool for groups (and components) that share the same definition.