Wall Plugin for SketchUp

Started by Medeek, March 05, 2017, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

I've added mid-span blocking into the advanced options:

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/d31237b7-407c-4b34-8e9a-56842015cf31/Framing-Test-3

This option will probably need additional parameters (mid-span, 8' on center, 4' on center) to make it really useful but at least it is a placeholder for now.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

Quote from: Don_P on April 12, 2018, 07:12:24 AM
Things to think about, header sizing, maybe open a table unless it can look up and see the loads above, number of jacks. a reminder to look at the floor under point loads from big opening jacks.

Currently the wall plugin has no engineering associated with it but if I can gain enough traction hopefully I am able to add quite a bit into the plugin, that would be really exciting.  Imagine if you could model up a house and have the program check all of the headers, joists, rafters, beams and columns automatically for you.  That is my goal...

Medeek

The cavity insulation option in the advanced options will fill in the wall cavities with insulation:

This feature will only get more interesting as windows and doors are added.

I supposed there will be some utility to this option for some since it will allow the designer/contractor to calculate the volume of insulation needed with fairly decent accuracy.

I could use some better textures for my insulation, the ones shown are pink and yellow fiberglass, rockwool and cellulose.  I also have a blown fiberglass (white) not shown.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/623ec332-e924-44bc-86fb-c78c7ac3f70f/Framing-Test-4-Cavity-Insulation

I've now started wading into the window and door module, this may take me a 2-3 days to sort out since it is fairly complicated.

Don_P

Another one, a row of blocking is often centered at 8' above the sill bottom for sheathing edge run up from the bottom, I usually turn that blocking flatways.

Medeek

The global settings will have two parameters:

Blocking Height:  Center or some numeric value
Stagger Blocking:  Yes / No

Once you create the walls you can also change these two parameters up for each wall panel:

See model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/aa4e6325-0411-4c73-8f38-556953db8435/Framing-Test-5

Medeek

Since the model can get quite heavy with all of the studs, blocking, insulation and other geometry I've decided to add one additional option to the basic parameters called "Wall Framing".  By turning this option to "NO" the walls are drawn with all of the internal geometry removed (ie. plates, studs, headers, kings, trimmers, insulation, holdowns etc...)

However, you can still use the advanced wall options and display sheathing, cladding and gypsum:

The model is now quite boring but is significantly more lightweight and will lend itself to quick edits by the designer.  Walls and Doors can be inserted and all of the internal framing can be turned on at any time within the wall edit menu.

See model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e1d92198-f073-4eca-b5e5-d87f7d10aafe/Framing-Test-6

The wall framing parameter will also be available within the global settings so that its default behavior can be set.

Notice how certain parameters are grayed out in the wall edit menu when wall framing is turned off, this is by design.

Medeek

I'm still recovering from a cold/flu bug so I apologize for my coughing during the video:

https://youtu.be/Ncs1-m2yymU

Medeek

I like the whole idea of the model changing hands from the designer to the engineer and then finally to the contractor or builder.

Initially the designer would use first the 2D mode to work on overall space layout and then bring it up into the no-framing option to consider all of the architectural elements (ie. trim, windows, doors, siding/cladding etc...)  I agree that most architects are generally not overly concerned with stud layouts, holdowns and all of the nuts and bolts that go into a design.  They are the big picture guys who are responsible for selling the design, look and feel, and functionality to the customer.

From there the engineer can look into the insertion of additional wall columns and also review the headers, beams, king and trimmer qty. etc... and stud layouts.  At this stage something might jump out at him, for example he may determine that a triple top plate is required because of a large truss span, or 2x8 wall studs are required due to the wind loads or wall height or both.  The engineer would want to have the full 3D model with framing enabled.  He is the nuts and bolts guy when it comes to safety and structural issues. 

This is sometime where the engineer and architect clash.  I've actually had to delete windows out of a design for lateral strength (steel moment frames were too expensive) much to the chagrin of the designer of that job but sometimes practicality overrides ambition and creativity.

The engineer can also enable holdowns/straps (with anchor bolts, threaded rods, coupler nuts) for specified wall panels.  He will probably turn off the layers that deal with the look and feel of the building, ie. gypsum, cladding, windows, doors, trim etc...

Then the model gets passed to the contractor who then has the full details of literally every component including the nailing information for every wall panel (that is my goal).

He can quickly pull dimensions or other information from the model as needed and also be able to see exactly what was intended by the designer and engineer.

With the new layout API I am also planning on setting up some automation for wall plan generation and wall framing elevations/details.  I haven't fully defined what the end product will be in this regard but I think some production drawing automation may be useful, especially for prefab wall panel designers/companies.

Don_P

Quite often those roles are handled by one or two people. It is fairly uncommon to have an RDP involved here on something prescriptive. That's where I've been hinting at background engineering or popup prescriptive tables, dunno. Initially many people think if they can draw it, it is buildable.
Another thought, especially for owner builders is to use the scenes function to show an animation of the construction, in timberframe terms, the raising script.

Medeek

Quote from: Don_P on April 16, 2018, 06:45:26 AM
Quite often those roles are handled by one or two people. It is fairly uncommon to have an RDP involved here on something prescriptive. That's where I've been hinting at background engineering or popup prescriptive tables, dunno. Initially many people think if they can draw it, it is buildable.
Another thought, especially for owner builders is to use the scenes function to show an animation of the construction, in timberframe terms, the raising script.

I haven't even got to really considering the engineering piece yet but I think it shouldn't be too hard to make it intuitive enough that even the lowest common denominator can work with it.  I think the big thing is to try and automate all of the engineering as much as possible, the less room or possibility of user error. 

Medeek

A quick preview of the Window Tool (locating only):

https://youtu.be/OvigZPIR6GQ

Medeek

Exterior trim can get very elaborate based on some work I've seen and also some recent renderings sent me of some exceptional architectural work.

That being said I'm wanting to start off simple with the exterior trim and then as things progress keep adding more options and layers of complexity as required.

For doors and windows I've come up with the following basic trim parameters based on my own observations and also suggestions from you, please review and comment:

I typically don't see any sill trim at the bottom of doors, but that may be an option if necessary.

I am planning on placing the trim flush to the framed opening unless someone thinks I should add an additional parameter for a reveal.

I like the idea of having the header, jamb and sill all independent widths for total flexibility.  Each of these 11 parameters can be set to a default value in the global settings, but adjusted for each door or window.

As for color (material) and layers, those both can be set in the global settings as well.  The layer cannot be adjusted in either the wall or opening edit menus however the material will be allowed to be adjusted in the window or door edit menus.

If the cladding or sheathing is not enabled for a wall then the trim will not be drawn, however the parameters will be stored in the library for that opening if they are entered (ie. trim enabled).

Don_P

To get the actual placement of trim correct, or fairly close to correct, it will overlap into the rough opening ~1/2" to ~1-1/4" depending on fenestration materials and RO's. On the window what you drew works for a clad which is most anymore but a wood has a sill nosing that the casings land on and the greater overlap of trim over the RO. I guess doors are more apt to have that issue between clad and wood jambs. Maybe grab a few details from some of the mfr's literature to see the relation of trim edge to RO. This will be very difficult to actually get correct across a broad sampling... before you even get to all the possible styles. Your probably just going to be able to get to the broad generalization level then let the designer switch that off and take over manually if they need finer detail.

Medeek

I've been looking at some screen shots from Chief Architect and giving some thought to framed opening headers and their trimmers.

Beyond the myriad of options I am already providing for window and door headers I may need to extend the list to a few others.

The current list is:

4X4
4X6
4X8
4X10
4X12
6X4
6X6
6X8
6X10
6X12
(2) 2X4
(2) 2X6
(2) 2X8
(2) 2X10
(2) 2X12
(3) 2X8
(3) 2X10
(3) 2X12
1-3/4X7-1/4 LSL
1-3/4X9-1/4 LSL
(2) 1-3/4X7-1/4 LSL
(2) 1-3/4X9-1/4 LSL

For larger doors (garage doors) glulams are fairly typical in my neck of the woods.  If the designer selects  glulam an additional menu will pop up that allow for the selection of the exact glulam size.  I've already implemented a similar feature in the Truss Plugin for glulam rafter roofs. 

I think it might also be interesting to provide an auto calculate feature based on the width of the framed opening:

- AUTO GLULAM
- AUTO 2X
- AUTO 4X
- AUTO 6X
- AUTO LSL

This is not an exact engineering solution since we don't know the loads on the header but it could at least get it ball park.  Future releases of the plugin will have more engineering capabilities added so that one can actually run the actual numbers on a header (I'm think Forte type software here, one that I commonly use in my own practice).

Along the same lines another parameter should be added into the global settings to allows for auto-calculation of the door/window trimmer qty., again this would be based off of the width of the framed opening and also factor in whether the wall is an interior or exterior wall.

Medeek

Medeek

I'm only about 2-1/2 weeks into the actual development of this plugin so realize that I've only just scratched the surface.  With the latest preview video I am getting a lot of questions about other wall systems.  Initially I will release the plugin with the conventional light wood framing but subsequent developments will also look at steel framing, CMU, brick and other more exotic methods as the demand arises.

The framing option will currently be:

- Yes/No/2D

This will probably be expanded to (or some other variation):

- Lumber/Steel/CMU/None/2D/etc...

I still have a lot of work to do before I can release this even to the beta testers.

The current pre-release "todo" list is:

1.) Wall and Window edit, move and delete functions/Tools.
2.) Global Setting tabs for Window and Door settings.
3.) Rudimentary Door and Window plugin that integrates with this plugin tightly.
4.) Wall Move and Split Tool.
5.) Add air gap parameter for the cladding (ie. brick fascia).
6.) Auto corner configuration
7.) Polyline Wall Tool and Face Wall Tool (right now all you can do is create a single segment at a time).
8.) Final clean and addition of any additional parameters to the Global Settings.
9.) Further refinements to the Add Window and Add Door Tools.
10.) Gable/Shed Wall Tool.
11.) Add glulam beams to Window and Door header options.
12.) Update Wall Plugin web page.

I'm sure there are other items that are probably missing from this list but those seem to be the major items right now.

I probably should have just left them but the blocking and insulation algorithms were complex and so it took me a couple of days to figure them out and then commit them to code.  At one point I just had to start over since my initial algorithm was too inefficient and the code quickly got out of control and became an ugly bowl of spaghetti for lack of a better word.

Please keep sending me your suggestions, they do not get lost.  I am compiling another post-release "todo" list where all of these other items will be considered and hopefully the majority implemented.

Medeek

An additional parameter for cladding will added to the advanced wall options:

Cladding Corners:  Flush/Lap/Miter

This parameter becomes important for certain cladding such as brick facade where the cladding thickness is significant and no corner trim will be present to cover up the corners.

Another parameter that should also be added is an air gap, I am showing a 1" air gap between the brick cladding and sheathing in the image above.

Medeek

I've added in the air gap and corner parameter:

I then put a wall on top of floor and stemwall foundation:

The one thing that immediately jumps out at me is that the vertical offset parameter for the sheathing and cladding probably needs to be divided into two parameters so that the offset can be set separately for both sheathing and cladding.

Medeek

I've separated the cladding and sheathing vertical offsets (top and bottom) into separate parameters so you can now offset each independently of each other:

Notice the two value in the edit wall menu for the offsets.  This should allow for maximum flexibility, however the addition of more parameters might make the entire interface more overwhelming to some.

Medeek

This evening I'm going to take a break from windows and doors and switch gears to the wall corner trim. 

The wall corner trim (outside and inside corners) will be configured within the wall edit menu.

The door and window trim will be configured independently for each framed opening and edited within the door or  window edit menu.

With trim in general I am trying to decide whether the trim should sit on top of the cladding or sit on top of the sheathing, or possibly a parameter that determines this location:  ON SHEATHING/ON CLADDING

My initial list of parameters for the wall (corner) trim is looking like:

Trim Location:  ON SHEATHING/ON CLADDING
Trim Thickness (in.): (defaults to 0.75 inches)
Outside Corner Trim:  YES/NO
Outside Corner Trim Width (in.): (defaults to 3.5 inches)
Inside Corner Trim:  YES/NO
Inside Corner Trim Width (in.): (defaults to 3.5 inches)

Medeek

I've got the corner trim working reasonably well now:

It can also handle non-orthogonal corners.

Medeek

The corner trim options within the Wall Edit Menu:

Then later today, a Style A (left wall) and Style B (right wall) window trim:

Style A is per the previous drawing I posted on the board.  Style B is where the sill trim extends past the jamb trim(s).  Note, that the thickness of the header, jambs and sill can all be independently set.  At some point I would like to set it up so that users can save specific configurations

I'm now looking at the interior casing for the windows and also at the baseboard and crown molding trim.  I'm not sure how elaborate I am going to get with this with the first go around, this may have to come later after the initial release.  I'm trying not to get bogged down in the minutiae but as I've come to realize there are a lot of details when it comes to a full architectural design.

I'm also starting to think about the Windows and Doors.  The doors (man doors) are fairly straightforward in my mind, use a typical pre-hung door, I've got some details that should guide me fairly well in that regard.  Windows on the other hand are a real mixed bag, there are vinyl windows with the nailing flanges (the type I'm most familiar with) and then there are the much more expensive types.  Any particular styles, brands or suggestions would be helpful.

Medeek

Here is my draft for Window Casing (Style A):

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ee5d51af-dc92-4a66-bb0f-4f1fdda56ebb/Window-Casing-Style-A-Medeek-Wall-Plugin

The parameters will probably be:

Head Casing Width:  5.5"
Side Casing Width:  3.5"
Apron Width:  2.5"
Jamb Ext. Depth: 2.5"
Casing Thickness:  0.75"
Stool Thickness:  1.0"
Apron Thickness:  0.75"
Jamb Ext. Thickness:  0.75"
Header Extension:  0.0"
Stool Extension:  1.0"
Apron Extension:  0.5"
Stool Projection:  1.25"
Casing Reveal:  0.25"
Shim Gap:  0.25"

The values given are the default values and coincide with the model given above.

Some details show shims between the framing and the jamb extensions, others do not:

Don_P

Not sure how far off into left field you want to go but this one from yesterday, 3/4" thick wainscot below and 1/2" sheetrock above with chair rail. Windows and doors crossing through that step in the wall plane. A couple of solutions are an extension strip on the backside of the trim at the sheetrock plane, or a backband trim wrapping the casing making it a 2 piece casing that is then ripped a bit to fit the wainscot. The backband thickness allows the chair rail to end more cleanly. When I make trim onsite I like to make casings a bit thicker than baseboards for the same reason, always trying to create reveals rather than trying to match planes.

Medeek

Quote from: Don_P on April 26, 2018, 06:53:44 AM
Not sure how far off into left field you want to go but this one from yesterday, 3/4" thick wainscot below and 1/2" sheetrock above with chair rail. Windows and doors crossing through that step in the wall plane. A couple of solutions are an extension strip on the backside of the trim at the sheetrock plane, or a backband trim wrapping the casing making it a 2 piece casing that is then ripped a bit to fit the wainscot. The backband thickness allows the chair rail to end more cleanly. When I make trim onsite I like to make casings a bit thicker than baseboards for the same reason, always trying to create reveals rather than trying to match planes.

I'm following what your saying I think but a picture would be worth a thousand words here.  I can see how multiple wall planes can turn a simple casing into something considerably more complex, yikes.