New Project (20 x 30)

Started by Baine, May 05, 2006, 11:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baine

We have not started building the 20X30 yet, but we have made progress on our site development.  Anyone interested in watching the whole process may do so at www.thorn05.blogspot.com.

glenn-k

Nice blog - looking forward to watching progress.

Daddymem

Wow, nice site and what a great looking family you have there.  Good luck and may you be granted with many sunny weekends in a row...I'll be praying for them for me too  ;)

Amanda_931

It is a nice site!

City water?

May mom do well.

Baine

Thanks everyone.  We appreciate the support and enjoy reading comments posted on the Blog.

The property is located in Hilham, TN.  It is  5 acres with water, phone, and electricity roadside.

Amanda_931

I looked up Hilham and Overton Counties in ePodunk, which seems to be a better site than it sounds like.  Overton is about the size of my county--around 16,000.

http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/localList.php?local=43&locTGroup=Counties&direction=down&sec=0

jwv

Love to watch building happen!  Thanks for giving access to your blog. Beautiful spot.

Judy

Baine

We ordered the subfloor framing materials last thursday, and it will be delivered Monday.  Hopefully the block masons will show and we can get really going.

glenn-k

Sounds great, Baine --please keep us updated.

bil2054

Simply great photo essay, Baine.  It looks like you guys are learning stuff, accomplishing it, and having fun all at the same time.  It don't get much better than that.
Thanks for sharing the blog.

glenn-k

I checked out your Blog again, Baine.  Things are looking good.  That is a great looking little Cat.  The shed looks great too.

Baine

We have been without internet for a couple of weeks, so check out the latest posts on our blog.  We extended the footprint to 34 feet for a little more room. By the way John, we opted for the engineered flooring system and it is without a doubt the straightest, firmest, and easiest to install floor I have ever built. :)
www.thorn05.blogspot.com.

Sassy

You guys are moving right along - that lake looks awfully nice!  Wish we had one to jump into...

Baine

We are moving along now, but good Lord the heat is killing me!

Baine

[size=14]www.thorn05.blogspot.com[/size]

We set the beams last week in the cabin, and rubbed them with an oil finish to protect them from the weather.  We had originally planned to use whole beams to span the front area of the cabin, however there is no local supplier for the larger timbers as we had out west.  We could have bought them from our supplier in Livingston to be shipped in, but the cost per timber beam was about $300 as compared to $70 for the built-up beam, including the oil finish.  I was looking for a "beefy" appearance in the beams, which is why we sandwiched the whole deal together with bolts. I took standard hex head fasteners and heated them under a torch until the zinc plating burned for the look I wanted.  My wife was stoked, so it must look good.

peg_688

Looks good  :) I've used galv. bearing plates , The 3"x3" type we now have to use for foundation washer , and put those on on a angle , sort of diamond shaped .  Your bolts are to low so it won't work for you but some one else might like the idea . They cost $2.65 ea  :o No wonder houses cost so much eh :(

Try to stay cool , lookin good :) PEG

jraabe

Nice job on the beams and a clever solution.

These should age very well and people will still be talking about them 50 years from now.  ;) You have come up with a practcial way to get maximum strength out of a minimum material configuration. The decking will take the place of the top part of the box beam you are building.

Also... a wonderful blog and a handsome family!

glenn-k

Really looking good, Baine and family. :)

Baine

Thanks everyone.   :)

We are placing an order tomorrow at The Building Center which should get us to 90% of lockup.  For me seeing the roof on a structure has a big impact on the feeling of progress.  Which that should happen in the next 7 days.

Baine

[size=14]www.thorn05.blogspot.com[/size]

Hello Everybody,

We have been dilligently working on the roof for the past couple of weeks, and it finally has paid off.  I was laying decking on the roof without any safety line (holding on with one hand and a nail gun in the other) when a neighbor came by and made mention of how stupid that was, so I got the lines and harness out of the shed and hooked in.  It was safer, easier and it made the neighbor and my wife real happy. ;D

Amanda_931

I don't do heights well at all.  But I have been on a 4 in 12 roof putting on sheathing (hey, that crew tied the guards of their circular saws up, they couldn't be bothered with nonsense like harnesses). But that roof is more than a little too much, probably even for those guys.

peg_688

What we do is run  2x4's "people keepers" the length of the roof starting about 2' up from the bottom and about every 4' from then on up the roof . Nailed down about every other trust with 16 d sinkers.  Really steep roof , in excess of 8 /12 we use roof jacks like these :

American Manufacturing Model #3000 10" Adjustable Roofing Bracket
Other products by American

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $10.25  
Price: $7.49  
You Save: $2.76 (27%)  

Or rent them  ;)

, with 2x6 plank about the same set up 2' up every 4' there after.

Doesn't help Baine any  but could help someone else :)

The harness is still a good idea, they tell me. Sure is a PITB having that rope and harness draggin around , tripping over etc etc . But it's a OSHA thing ::)

Looks good Baine  :) PEG    

Pala

My roof monkey prefers a rock climbing harness as opposed to the OSHA safety harness which is useless  to hang, support and stretch from/with.

Amanda_931

dmlsr

what size roof raffers did you use?? we are building 24 x 20

Dave