running propane line inside or out

Started by river place, September 22, 2009, 01:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river place

Before we build our cabin we're adding guest space to the end of our barn which consists of a shower, toilet and den.  We have a propane tank at the corner of the barn close to the den location.  I plan on putting a propane fireplace in the one end of the den and aross the barn will be a water heater.

If I run the propane line (black pipe) on the outside I'll come up at the one corner of the barn frpm the tank and connect there.  run 5ft and have a connection go up into the den through the wall for the fireplace, then continue down another 25ft of barn to the far corner where I then turn 90 degrees and go another 15ft until I go up and through the wall again for the water heater.

Another option is to run inside the barn but this adds more effort, plus I seem to like the idea of running the line outside incase of leaks

Pros and cons of either?

MountainDon

First, I have no idea what the codes have to say on the placement of piping for propane or natural gas. So, I'm going to assume it can be run all over the place on exterior walls, or that you, like me, have not invited any inspectors to attend the party.

When I designed our cabin I brought the black iron propane line in from underneath, up through a wall bottom plate. Inside I ran the pipe through the studs with tees placed where I had determined the various required appliance connections. I did that to get away from the need to make wall perforations. I also left a tee stub outside or any possible future need that I may not have foreseen.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Black Iron is not really suited for exterior applications.  Usually used once it enters the residence. 

rwanders

I have found that your propane supplier is a good source of guidance on propane piping questions and they also stay informed about legal or code requirements----as you say, leaks and safety is paramount here.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Bob S.

I live in the town of Nampa, Idaho. Just this week we had a house blowup and damage several nearby homes, to the point that thay are uninhabitable. One of them may have to be torn down. The house that blewup is only a foundation now. The owner was in the house cooking and he did survive but he is hospaitalized. Thay said it looked like he had possibly worked on the gas pipes himself. I personally would run the gas pipe outside.

ScottA

Black pipe can be used inside or outside. It is very safe so long as it is leak tested before use. Black pipe used outside needs to be painted and if in contact with the ground wraped with an approved material. They make a special kind of tape for this use. Other options would be CSST (corrigated stainless steel tubing) or copper if ok to use in your area.

glenn kangiser

There is a plastic coated pipe - around here called Fletcher coat.  You only need to tape the joints when you use it underground outside.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

river place

Thanks for the feedback.  No codes in my area but my focus is safety.  Will also call the propane supplier as suggested

Windpower

In Wisconsin where the winters are severe and they use propane alot the standard seems to be copper tubing

when the propane company installed my tank they ran 5/8" soft copper tubing buried about 3 or 4 inches under the sod right up to and through the sill into the basement.

the copper tube will cost a little more but is very easy to work with

corrosion should not be a problem either

there used to be a plastic pipe option too but I haven't used it in years (30)

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

Copper is a state by state decision. Some allow, some do not. As was suggested the propane supplier is an easy resource in cases like this.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.