How to make transition through flat roof for conduit?

Started by NM_Shooter, October 12, 2012, 06:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Crap... I have to run a new coax cable for my TV, and due to no attic space on part of my house, I have to run this across the roof. 

I'd prefer to run it in conduit to protect it somewhat.  What is the best way to make a penetration through the roof for conduit, and to support the conduit at that location?  I have a flat Urethane foam roof, and this penetration will more or less be in the center of the roof. 

Suggestions please!

Thanks.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

JRR

They make that cable fairly resistant to sun and elements, really doesn't need a conduit .... I would resist a roof penetration for a tv cable!

flyingvan

Don't know if this would work in your application, but you can drill a 1" hole in an eave and push PVC pipe through.  When you hit something go inside and drill there (I had my wife keep sliding it in and out so I could hear where it was hitting) On the outside you can elbow it down.  If you then plug it with plumber's putty around the coax, when your realize you really wanted HDMI cable it's easy to re-use the chase you've created by just pulling out the coax and digging out the putty
Find what you love and let it kill you.

NM_Shooter

This is an interior wall, so unfortunately I have to either puncture the roof, or tear up the ceiling in my house. 

I thought about opening up the wall, and drilling a hole through the top plate right next to a stud.  Then drilling upward through the roof.  Insert a conduit through the roof, down through the top plate, and strapping the conduit to the stud using a U-strap.  Put a galvanized roof cone over the conduit, and tar the crap out of it.  Just wondering if there is a better way.

Is anyone aware of a way to distribute the cable signal wirelessly? 

NM_Shooter