Cost

Started by fcpnorman, May 08, 2012, 10:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcpnorman

I know this question has been asked in a variey of ways, but as I am in the planning process here it goes. Absent spetic, well, permits etc., does anyone have a rough estimate on the cost building materials for the 20x30 1.5 story cabin? I am trying to get some estimates on materials to "dry in" the structure. I do not have the plans yet, but I am trying to get a timeline going begin my build. I am thinking $70,000 to do the cabin. I think I may hire someone to help me dry it in, and then do everything else myself. Right now labor rates in California are " relatively" low. Even a ballpark figure would help me with my planning process.

Thanks.

ColchesterCabin

IMO if you have $70,000 available to build with you can have a mighty build on the go. For instance I know I probly need to double my build calculations and even if I do my estimation doing all my work myself and only contracting out the excavation last weekend ($500 as the ground is all rock) and the concrete ($500 as too much to mix by hand) I want to be roughed in for $5000  - $6000 by the end of this year and the finishing inside of approx $4000 next year. My goal for my project is try to keep it as close to $10k or under as I can.  Couple of things to remember:
1.) I am real remote no one bothers me out there somewhat free to build whatever.
2.) No well as I am going to recycle water from the roof fro grey filter it for drinking and washing.
3.) DYI Septic modeled after a real system.

Wish I had the $70k cause I could have a helluva build going...lol  :)
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

rocking23nf

depends on your part of the world.

my lot for my house, is 48'x150' and cost over 150,000, and once the house was added, i was in for 480,000.  2400foot home, nothing too crazy.

the minute you start calling trades, that money gets eaten up quickly. I had a plumber come out this weekend, 70$ an hour, 100$ if he brings his helper.

fcpnorman

I should have also said that I already own the land, so that is not a factor. I am looking to build a cabin that is no more than 1200 square feet. I am mostly interested in the cost of the rough framing, plumbing, roof and electrical. I think I can figure the rest out.

Thanks.

flyingvan

I'm replying because my first owner/builder project was a 20x30 1.5 story in California.
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11822.msg151923#msg151923 (If this fails just enter Cuyamaca Cabin in the search under owner/builder projects)
I spent $22,400 on materials for the structure---that was 10 years ago.  I'm estimating building materials were about 40% more for the one I'm building now (same size, totally different design) 
Find what you love and let it kill you.

flyingvan

how do you get 1200 square feet for 1 1/2 story on 20x30 pad?

Danfish

Based on my recent experience construction materials for 1,200 sq. ft. would run around $30K, not including foundation, insulation, drywall and a finished roof.  I find that depending on your location, building trades labor has not gone down in California.  Most of the trades people left are your experienced craftsman and they get premium rates.  Right now in this state you can buy a dozen existing structures for far less than the cost to build.  Cost to include subs in the process will run the cost up to $100-130 per square foot, with the owner doing some of the work.  Another big budget factor in California is the regulatory costs...permits, mitigation fees, energy and fire requirements could easily equal your materials cost...plan and estimate carefully before diving in!

hhbartlett

Quote from: ColchesterCabin on May 08, 2012, 11:32:46 AM
IMO if you have $70,000 available to build with you can have a mighty build on the go. For instance I know I probly need to double my build calculations and even if I do my estimation doing all my work myself and only contracting out the excavation last weekend ($500 as the ground is all rock) and the concrete ($500 as too much to mix by hand) I want to be roughed in for $5000  - $6000 by the end of this year and the finishing inside of approx $4000 next year. My goal for my project is try to keep it as close to $10k or under as I can.  Couple of things to remember:
1.) I am real remote no one bothers me out there somewhat free to build whatever.
2.) No well as I am going to recycle water from the roof fro grey filter it for drinking and washing.
3.) DYI Septic modeled after a real system.

Wish I had the $70k cause I could have a helluva build going...lol  :)

[shocked] $10k Seriously? In Nova Scotia? I'm not saying you can't do it for that kind of money,  but I'd be totally impressed. I'd estimated around $35k for something similar, but as things normally go I assume that it would cost way more which is my big problem right now. I'd love to be able to point at a suitable plan and say it's going to be $35k for sure but I know it never works out that way.

flyingvan

My fire sprinkler system added $2,800.  Lumber hasn't gone up much but copper wire sure has.

ColchesterCabin

hhbartlett... I always like a challenge let's just see how things go, cause now I am curious as well... Let the tallying begin....lol I'll try to update my thread with costs as I go to keep my numbers honest :) If that sounds fair....

On a side note even for $35k if he has $70k available it would be a helluva build!
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

Alan Gage

$70k doesn't go as far as you think. I've got that in my build and I did everything except digging footings, pouring the concrete (I formed it), and trenching in electrical. About $200 in permit fees and no inspections other than electrical.  This was for a 1000 sq. ft single story. Stuff adds up quick. I thought I could easily do it for $40k.

Alan

hhbartlett

Just for reference, you can check out this site:
http://www.beaverhomesandcottages.ca/

If you register, it will give you prices on complete material packages for these cabins & houses, however there are some things missing I think like cabinets, electrical, plumbing, etc., and does not take into account foundation costs or anything else like that. The specify what's included. Gives a good idea though (for Atlantic Canada, anyway).  I should note their packages include proper blueprints and insurance as well though. There's a nice 639 square foot 2 bedroom cottage for $37k.

Of course, you might do better sourcing everything yourself, but this is good I think for a guideline / rough estimate.

fcpnorman

Thanks for all the input. We bought our land back at the height of the market and it is not worth 1/2 what we paid for it now. We tried selling it, but no one is buying land. We have been looking at other cabins and houses but they either go quick, are major fixer uppers and we do like our land. I can do quite a bit of the work myself. I have cleared the buidling pad, and I talked with the county and they even suggested doing the septic myself. The inspector told me he would come out and give me a list of common mistakes made by homeowners. We will be off the grid, so that does seem a little daunting at first??? We will see.
I am probably like everyone else have looked at log kits, and then I found this site. We did see the model from Mt. Lassen Log homes in Chester, Ca. and it was nice. My wife is partial to a log home, me- not as much.
I am still in the planning stages, and from all of you said, it looks like I have a little more saving to do.
Does anyone have experience with any of the kits out there?
Thanks.