Fire pit advice

Started by Huge29, August 27, 2012, 11:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huge29

We are looking to add a fire pit next summer.  We like the above grade design like the pics below-from retailer's displays.  The question is-must be use an iron insert or can we use just the blocks/pavers?  We are required to have a 12' radius of a noncombustible material, presumably concrete unless anyone would recommend otherwise.  Any alternative recommendations would be greatly appreciated also. 

I have seen that these are assembled with adhesive, should we use something else for a high heat application? 

Redoverfarm

Hugh my biggest concern would be heat busting the pavers.  You may be able to lay firebrick around the interior.  If you lay up conventionally you will need some fire clay mixed into the mortar.  The pavers are a concrete based product and heat has a tendency to make them brittle and crack.  Just my $.02 worth.

As far as clearences (12') you can just lay a gravel or sand bed surrounding it.

Some in this area use old washing machine tubs for the liners.  The holes in the tub allow for air to enter for good combustion.   

Huge29

Thanks for the reply!  I have old friends in Fairmont our your way.
That is a good point!  I realized that I have a customer with a fab shop who may even run across a ring as one of his scraps at some point that I could pick up from him for nothing.  I also saw a post on here with links to a fabricator that could work, I was quoted $250 for an insert, which seems to be insane to this tight old fellar...

Huge29

BUMP-anyone else want to post pics of your fire pit?  We are thinking about a concrete slab as the CC&R's require some sort of non combustible materials for 12' around the fire pit.  I was given a 48" piece of galvanized that we can use for a concrete form and leave it there,  Any input would be great and since a picture is worth a thousand words...Thanks guys!

Don_P

There is a granite boulder behind the barn that was too big for the dozer to move 25 years ago, it was about car sized above ground and like an iceberg underneath. Between fire and water it is now mostly below ground level. Very little can hold up to direct contact with those two for long.

A big budd rim up on some bricks surrounded by stacked rock or firebrick with pavers over a bed of stone dust for the surround? Will they allow a landscape timber and pea gravel surround? No concrete to deal with when things change. The fixed slab benches look cool and do provide seating but 3 sides should be open for standing or chairs, the fixed bench is a place to light for a minute but is never the right distance or direction from the fire.

We're in no burn season for another month and I've been cleaning up and logging a bit. I think my chair will start out about 100' away   :D.

Huge29

Quote from: Don_P on March 18, 2013, 04:56:36 AM
There is a granite boulder behind the barn that was too big for the dozer to move 25 years ago, it was about car sized above ground and like an iceberg underneath. Between fire and water it is now mostly below ground level. Very little can hold up to direct contact with those two for long.

A big budd rim up on some bricks surrounded by stacked rock or firebrick with pavers over a bed of stone dust for the surround? Will they allow a landscape timber and pea gravel surround? No concrete to deal with when things change. The fixed slab benches look cool and do provide seating but 3 sides should be open for standing or chairs, the fixed bench is a place to light for a minute but is never the right distance or direction from the fire.

We're in no burn season for another month and I've been cleaning up and logging a bit. I think my chair will start out about 100' away   :D.
I really like the idea of the benches, but I had the same concern as you, always seem to be too close or too far away.  Just plain concrete slab to use for camp chairs just seems so plain, but maybe a leopold bench could work, if they jsut did not take up so much room to store over the winter...
We are leaning towards forming teh pit with the pipe jsut to keep it simple. 

rick91351

Quote from: Huge29 on March 19, 2013, 12:10:11 AM
I really like the idea of the benches, but I had the same concern as you, always seem to be too close or too far away.  Just plain concrete slab to use for camp chairs just seems so plain, but maybe a leopold bench could work, if they jsut did not take up so much room to store over the winter...
We are leaning towards forming teh pit with the pipe jsut to keep it simple. 

Last fire of the season toss in the Leopold Benches, first thing you build come spring....... ;D
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.