Author Topic: Building in 2021? The facts about the prices of building materials  (Read 236 times)

Offline maggiethecat

• I Maggie thank you very much
I have to say this video was an eye opener!

https://youtu.be/Ei14ks5ggGo

Very well explained. I am now a little scared to start building. Maybe we should hold off until next year to build our cabin. I just can't believe the prices compared to a year ago, my husband says OSB 7/16 used to cost $11 and now it's $51

[edited to remove divisive/political non-building related content] 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 03:32:52 PM by MountainDon »
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

Offline Nate R

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
Re: Building in 2021? The facts about the prices of building materials
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:13:35 PM »
It's an interesting video, better than many in how it's presented. Not sure I agree with all of it, as far as cause/effect, or even how much is factual, but still....Will be interesting to see if he's right about things coming down next year. 

Offline NathanS

• NY Mountains
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 04:59:21 AM »
I would go to some local saw mills with a complete order of what you need - even sheathing with 1x. They do not have the same complex supply chains big box stores utilize which is like a form of leverage.

The prices from the hardwood mill I have used have actually decreased since covid started, because most cabinet making has been outsourced to Asia.

Offline jsahara24

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »
I just bought 20 sheets of 7/16 OSB, 45$/sheet.  You wouldn't believe how many people came up to me as I was loading it.  If it wasn't something that needed to be done based on a current roofing project gone bad, I would wait, or find another way like Nathan mentioned....

Do you have any local mills?  The amish in my area are very reasonable..

Offline Dave Sparks

• Offgrid Solar
    • Offgrid Solar
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 07:48:17 AM »
My info is the price may come down a bit off the peak, but it will be high for another year if you are waiting. Many builders are selling lots but not moving forward building the structure, and this too is another bottleneck.
"we go where the power lines don't"

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 34 - 1077KB. (show)
Cache hits: 11: 0.00097s for 38,813 bytes (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]