Need help with rock driveway???

Started by 2zwudz, April 24, 2008, 06:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

I am putting a rock driveway in and I am having two different contractors giving me two different theories as to what is the better way to put in a rock drive. One is saying to dig the dirt out 4" deep and  put in 2" rock and then put down CA6 rock over that after the 2" rock settles and the other contractor is saying to dig the dirt out 9" deep then put a highway tarp down and then 9" of CA6 rock over that.  What do you guys say?

Thanks
Mark

Redoverfarm

There is a neccessity to remove the top soil down to regular earth to make a driveway stable.  I would opt for the large base followed by the smaller on top after the larger has had a chance to embed itself in.  IMO the smaller stone would not be as solid if used for the full depth.  I am sure Glenn will type in and has done alot of road work and will add his two cents worth.

ScottA

Alot will depend on your soil. Yes the topsoil needs to be scraped back. How much depends on soil type and depth. If the ground is fairly firm you could get by with maybe 6" of road base which is better than rock alone. If it's soft you'll need enough rock to make it stable. Adding lime might help as well. But it all depends on what you got for dirt.

glenn kangiser

May depend on how much you want to spend.  The park service uses the second method and it seems very stable.

In reality both may make a pretty good driveway depending on your ground as mentioned above.  The geotex with 9" of rock worked great on a small repair on our road.

The last road I worked on we pulled out tons of boulders and others packed and placed the rock but it was long and low budget.  In my opinion the rock they put on was not the greatest road base -- it may get better as it works down into the native soil.

How big a project are you talking about?   Length - width ?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

2zwudz

Glenn
Its 200' long x 12' wide.

Mark

glenn kangiser

So 191 cu yds @9" or 19, 10 yd truckloads or about 10 transfers.  You could decide on cost a bit from there ...plus the work and equipment involved.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

When I did my 350 ft driveway I put down 12 inches of nice pit run and topped it with 4 inches of 5/8" minus gravel. Makes it nice for grading and crowning after the winter thaw. It has held up for over 13 years and never blows out. Cost a lot to do but only had to do it once. I allways wet it down between loads and had the dump trucks pack it before they dumped there loads each time. No real dozer work the dump trucks layed it nice enought to be finish grade and my pick up did the last packing at the end. Mark

Okie_Bob

I'm thinking of a driveway/parking area myself and trying to think of something besides asphalt or concrete. The area is about 25' X 25' total and has a mixture of pea gravel, red clay, hard pack gumbo and a little sand. I suspect I need to dig it down at least 6 inches and build up from that. What alternatives are available? Cost is definately my biggest concern. Don't like asphalt due to the oil in hot summer
and don't like concrete due to cost. Is there a good 'cheap' way to build a decent driveway/ parking area that doesn't break the bank or require constant maintenance?
Okie Bob

BiggKidd

Bob,

For a cheap way out. If there isn't any grass weeds (that have a root base) and the area is already hard packed no need to dig down. You can use crushed concrete instead of gravel. Get it from a local recycler. If you want a smoother drive put a load of stone dust on top once it works its was into the stone or crushed concrete its almost like having a concrete drive.

Good
Luck
Larry   
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

mvk

Larry
Do you have a ball park on the cost of the concrete never heard of that up this way but it sounds like a great idea. would you compact it.

Bob I went through combat engineer training in the Army and they had a formula for gravel roads, so much gravel, so much stone, so much clay don't remember what it was but I bet you could get a manual easy. Got to blow stuff up! [cool]

Mike 

ScottA

Around here they call that mix road base. You can order it pre mixed from the materials yard.

BiggKidd

Mike,

Last time I bought some they filled my little truck (about4.5 ton) for $20. You just need to check with someone who tears old buildings down or does demolition work. A lot of times they may give it to you to get rid of it.

Larry

Larry

mvk

Larry
What size are you talking about. I have seen them ripping up black top it's kind of processed and pretty small I guessed they were reuseing it.
Mike

Redoverfarm

mvk typically "millings" from asphalt are good if you have a solid stone base to put them over.  They usually don't work on earth.  End up with a washboard for a driveway.  They are really good over a solid rock base and after a season of full sun they usually seize back together to make a good drive.

glenn kangiser

We have recycled concrete here.  Just concrete with the rebar removed and run through a crusher.  It does make a good base.

BiggKidd

Quote from: mvk on April 28, 2008, 07:17:12 PM
Larry
What size are you talking about. I have seen them ripping up black top it's kind of processed and pretty small I guessed they were reuseing it.
Mike

Mike
The crushed concrete runs from small up to 1" roughly. Ground up asphalt works well too.

Far as packing it down goes regular traffic will take care of that.
Larry

Larry

mvk

thanks everbody, looks like something to look into
mike

Bishopknight

I am also having a driveway put in, roughly 200' by 12' as well.

The contractors all told me I should put in a 200' mesh blanket with 12" of bankrun and 4" of crushed gravel on top.

I got some quotes up here in Maine, $3.20 yard for "bankrun", it will cost around $4.50 a yard to deliver it.