5 minute a day bread

Started by Jens, February 19, 2009, 12:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodSprite

Quote from: considerations on February 23, 2009, 01:08:55 AM
Yes, except I use a teaspoon of salt instead of the 1.5 Tablespoons.  It just turns out too salty for my taste...

I haven't bought a loaf of bread since I found Jeff Hertzberg & Zoe Francois' book at the library a year or two ago.  Recently I discovered that they have a web site where they respond to questions, suggestions, problems, etc.  Lots of people have complained about the salt, and it turns out they were using Morton's Kosher salt, which is coarser and so measures differently.  They say if you're using regular salt, you need to reduce the amount by a lot.  1 1/2 tablespoons Morton's Kosher = 1 tablespoon regular salt.  I agree with considerations - one teaspoon works for me.
The Chronicle of Upper Tupper
This place was made by doing impractical things we could not afford at the wrong time of year.   -Henry Mitchell

Jens

One thing that I learned about this dough...make darn sure you put the right amount of water and flour in!  I made a batch that had 1 cup too much water...wouldn't cook all the way through!  I just kinda forgot the amounts when I was making it d*  Then I let my two little girls add the flour...I think they lost count.  Two batches that became bread crumbs and bread pudding!  Also, you can mix different flours, but stay away from rye, it also keeps it from cooking all the way. 

I made a loaf in a loaf pan today, looks like it'll be good sandwich bread. 

If you knead the dough ball a bit on a floured surface before forming, it makes a better looking loaf.  I have also found that I like to butterwash the surface, and sprinkle with coarse kosher salt. 

Spelt works well with this recipe too, the loaves spread out a bit more when rising before baking, but it makes a very neat looking loaf of bread! 

Made a batch of challah today too, 6 strand braided.  Mmm-mmm!  Made one loaf in a pan...cinnamon, brown sugar, raisin challah!  Can't wait for french toast breakfast on Sunday!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Homegrown Tomatoes

That's funny about the rye Jens.  I tried some with part rye and part whole wheat and added some dill and cheese and it came out pretty tasty.

Jens

yeah, if it'd only been a bit rye...but it was about 1/2 rye, 1/2 whole wheat.  We found that we were out of white after yeast had proofed, and so thought we'd experiment.  Oh well.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

WoodSprite

Quote from: sjdehner on March 30, 2009, 07:27:48 AM
Where's that bread recipe anyway? (Did I miss a link?)

Nine pages that are pretty much the gist of the whole book here:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

If you don't care about the details, the actual basic recipe begins on page 3 of this article, followed by recipes for pizza dough, whole wheat sandwich bread, pecan rolls, etc.
The Chronicle of Upper Tupper
This place was made by doing impractical things we could not afford at the wrong time of year.   -Henry Mitchell

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free