Poe Hill 16 x 16 cabin

Started by Cropping Up, July 30, 2012, 05:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cropping Up

A prodigal returns!  After bad news and big changes to my rough plans this spring, I'm back with new determination to make this build happen.  I figured the best way to keep the faith, and hold myself accountable, was to start a thread and post so at least I'd have to make my excuses publicly.  And I didn't spend all my time away just sitting in a corner and grumbling so here are my plans as of right now (subject to change by any whim or gust of wind).  Since this is still deep in the planning stages, if anyone sees a glaring mistake or bad decision I would love to hear about it.  It's a lot easier to erase on paper than tear down and redo on site.

Cabin:  roughly 16' by 16' on a gentle southwesterly slope.  Below-ground foundation of 12 concrete pads roughly 2' square and 18" deep.  Above-ground foundation of 12 pedestals with 4 - 8 concrete blocks each (as needed by ground slope).  Four sills of doubled PT 2x12 around sides and one through the middle.  Floor joists of PT 2x10 on 16" centers.  Walls and rafters of 2x6.

That's the most important parts I've thought on so far and really appreciate any input on it.  I haven't staked out the exact place yet, but the general area has this southerly view (taken this spring).

rick91351

Looks like a great spot to incorporate some passivize solar on the south and west side of your cabin or house.  Are you thinking a loft or just a single story.  Why not post a floor plan to sort of let us know what you are thinking of.  By the way beautiful spot.

rlr   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

alex trent

Great location and view.

Your above ground pedestals  will go from 4 to 8 blocks high?  If so, this means about 3 feet in slope on the cabin ground..and that is what it looks like from the picture. If that is true, your high end/side will be over five feet high to the beam...a good distance. I'd be sure those blocks gave you enough lateral support for the place.. Seems to me just a block will not do it...did you mean the pedestal will be made of more than one?  It was not clear from you description what they would be.  The footings sound solid enough.

Cropping Up

Quote from: rick91351 on July 30, 2012, 06:38:03 AMWhy not post a floor plan to sort of let us know what you are thinking of.
I will as soon as get something closer to worked out.  Right now it's still a complete mess of ideas.

Quote from: alextrent on July 30, 2012, 07:45:34 AM
Your above ground pedestals  will go from 4 to 8 blocks high?  ...did you mean the pedestal will be made of more than one?
Sorry I didn't make that clear, I meant the pedestals would be 4 to 8 blocks total, 2 blocks to a level, so the tallest shouldn't be more than about two feet.  And the slope is more gradual than it looks from the photo (it's not far from level where I stood to take it, which is generally where I'd like the house).

Thanks for your comments.  It's very much a work in progress but I plan to add more here soon.

alex trent

I'd secure the blocks to the footing. EZ to do....put two pieces of vertical rebar in the pier and let it come up through. Then put blocks with the rebar inside and pour concrete in the holes.

You also need to figure out how you will fasten you beams to the blocks..several ways and best planned for in advance.

Cropping Up

Good points, Alex.  The rebar I intended to do but I'm not sure what to do for attaching the sills.  The local hardware stores don't carry a great selection but I've been wondering if some good strapping (like hold-downs or hurricane ties) and corner brackets would do the job.  If I turned the bracket so it made an "L" shape then the horizontal part could fasten to the concrete and the vertical part to the sill.  But that's an area I'd like to hear from others on; if anyone has pointers, advice, suggestions, tips ... I'm all ears.

alex trent

I think you mean beam or girders not sills.  Just vocabulary, but important. The beams mount to the columns and on top go joists to support floor.

Yeah, you will have to punt when it comes to something to attach beams to piers.  There re good specula connectors..like U shaped to cradle the beam as the connector rests on the pier or blocks and is securely fastened to it.  I am sure there are many ways to make something available work.

Suggestion, since your blocks are not very high above the piers, consider building a form and just making the pier all one piece and forgo the blocks.  Stronger.  No joint between pier and blocks.

Cropping Up

Quote from: alextrent on August 07, 2012, 04:12:15 PM
I think you mean beam or girders not sills.  Just vocabulary, but important.
I've seen most people on here call them beams.  The old-timers in my family called them sills so I do, too.  But we're talking about the same thing so I'll try to use beam or girder from now on, so we stay on the same page.

Quote from: alextrent on August 07, 2012, 04:12:15 PMThere re good specula connectors..like U shaped to cradle the beam as the connector rests on the pier or blocks and is securely fastened to it.  I am sure there are many ways to make something available work.
I've seen others use them but can't find them around here for the life of me.  I could probably order them, but I think the local stuff will work fine and be cheaper in the long run anyway.  I don't care how pretty it is as long as it works.

Quote from: alextrent on August 07, 2012, 04:12:15 PMSuggestion, since your blocks are not very high above the piers, consider building a form and just making the pier all one piece and forgo the blocks.  Stronger.  No joint between pier and blocks.
I thought about that, but blocks are cheap, easy, and strong so I'll probably stick with that.  It should be plenty solid for vertical forces and there aren't many side forces to speak of (that I can figure, at least) so it should do the trick.

I'm working on a layout of it that I hope to have roughed up here in a few days.

Checi

That is a very pretty property. Good luck!

Cropping Up

Thanks, Checi.

I roughed up a small plan for the cabin's inside and thought I'd post it to see what others think.  It's not the first and probably won't be the last so any and all comments are welcome.  A couple notes on it - I just eyeballed things in MS Paint but on paper I did scale everything and figured measurements to be sure it fit.  And I noticed I got the site's slope wrong in the first post.  Not sure how I messed that up but the ground falls to the southeast (and the plans are set like a regular map so the top is North, right is East, and so on).

P.S.  I know the print shows up pretty small in this one.  On the next I'll make sure it's bigger.