Beware standard fasteners in new pressure treated material...

Started by NM_Shooter, December 10, 2007, 12:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

While cruising the web for construction tips, I found an interesting site that has videos on latest techniques.  This is my second posting that has an external web address... moderators, please let me know if I am violating policy by doing this sort of thing. 

I believe that this video is critical info for safe construction.  You folks may already know about this, but I thought I would post anyway.

New pressure treated material (the green stuff) is now preserved using copper rather than arsenic.  Using standard aluminum or steel fasteners allows for a galvanic reaction that can completely erode the fastener in a short period of time.  To be safe, use G185(?) or stainless steel fasteners.  Here is a link to the video:

http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/pac_ctnt/text/0,2595,HPRO_20196_55073,00.html?c=486&videoid=66942

Regards,

Frank
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

I think the new brown stuff is much worse than the green stuff.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

NM alot of people don't known of the chemical reaction of the new pressure treated lumber with different metals.  Another I might pass along is that if a termite shield is installed on a block foundation which will be followed by a PT plate it should be copper($$) or  as a alternative you can still use the aluminum but place a piece of ice guard or 30# felt between the alum and wood.

I believe there is now ceramic coated screws now for PT.  Also look at some of the boxes of air nail and they state that they are safe to use.  Apparently use another type of coating rather than galvanized.

When attaching a ledger for a deck or porch out of PT lumber the flashing can be alum then use a piece of vinyle lumber between PT and alum. Most deck builders state to use the vinyle in block form anyway to allow water to drain between ledger and house to avoid sill rot.

Just my $.02 worth