Panel insulation possibility

Started by Yankeesouth, February 21, 2011, 10:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

Ok humor  me on  this one..... I have a shed, typical yard shed variety.  (10 x 14)  I can get some 1.5inch fiberglass panel insulation for free.  If I cut the panels to fit between the studs and either spray foam or stuff fiberglass insulation in the cracks, then cover with something like roofing paper, then cover with t111, inside and out....about what R factor would I be looking at??? 

I am putting a small shed next to the cabin for company overflow.....or when the wife gets pissed from my beer induced snoring and kicks me out.... and I want to make it livable in the winter, probably a very small wood stove.  Will insulating like that hold heat.  I know a how enough stove will heat the place but how cold will the walls get?   My rationale is box trucks and some freight containers have panel insulation for cold products.  Granted they are sealed tight but I am looking to breath.  Any thoughts on using insulation panels for interior insulation????   Has anyone ever used this method in a real cabin or project? 

MelFol

I don't see why you can't use it. The price is right. Here is a link that may help you.
http://www.coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm

I think what you are looking for is listed under Rigid Fiberglass.

Yankeesouth

Thanks Mel,

Nice site. Soooooo from the calculations on the CO site I should be looking at somewhere around an R-8 for the walls.  With a hot enough fire......I can live with that.

Thanks!

Squirl

My situation was not exactly the same.  I don't know what size your panels are.  I got free 1" foam scraps.  They were around 18" x 18".  They were such a pain in the rear, I tore them out and put in roll fiberglass.  My time at working on my property is valuable.  I had a lot of other projects to prepare for the full sized house.  It was taking days to cut, fit, and fill all the pieces.  For $80, I was able to do the walls at R-13 in an 8x12 shed in just a few hours and got back to the work on all my other projects.  See how long it takes for you to fill 40 square ft (around 4 studs at 16" O/C)with the panels.  Then sit back and think to yourself, I could have spent $9 and 15 minutes for a better result and see if it is worth it to finish the rest of the shed that way.  I learned the hard way on this, because that is the only way I seem to learn.

MelFol

Yankeesouth:  I think Squirl makes a very good point unless you have a lot of time.  If you stay with the rigid why not double it?  R-14 or thereabouts if you seal/fit the edges well.