Retro-fitting a wood stove

Started by Yankeesouth, January 28, 2011, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

Hi all,
I need some help!!  I am a long time reader of this site but just never have time to post.  Here is my problem.  I have an old cabin in Western PA built in the 1930's I am remodeling.  It has a great old stone fireplace.(sandstone)  Other than a few cracks (re-pointing should take care of) the thing is in pretty good shape.  The chimney is terracotta lined with no cracks.  I want to put an insert, wood stove, in but need a few questions answered.  

1.   Building code aside, can I just slide the insert in like the one in the link or do I need to run a liner all the way up the chimney?  
2.   How will this affect the draft?   I don't know a lot about how draft affects wood stoves?
3.   Anything else I need to consider when retrofitting a wood stove into and existing fireplace?

http://www.inspectapedia.com/chimneys/0950s.jpg

FYI:  I know it's probably somewhere on this site, but I cannot figure out how to insert pitcures directly.  

Thanks in advance!!!

Yankeesouth

One more thing....

Would creosote build-up be any more of a problem/issues in a chimney vs. steel lined tube???

MountainDon

If you use the " modify" tab on that first post you made you can see what I did to make the image appear
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Modern, EPA approved stoves and inserts are designed to work at their best with a certain size chimney flue. If the unit is connected to a larger diameter flue the exhaust gases sow and cool rapidly. That can result in poor performance. The liner also eliminates any worry about the condition of the inside of the chimney. Creosote build up is more likely if the stove/insert empties into a larger volume stone/brick chimney.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Yankeesouth

ohhhh thanks Don.  By BTW  your camp looks great.  I have some of the same plans in mind for water. i.e. holding tank, pump (of some sort) and an outdoor on demand water heater.  Just not sure how I will hold water pressure.  

Also can I get away with a lower grade extension through the chimney?  Being it is brick and nothing will catch fire due to the heat it seems like any type, galvanized aside, stove pipe should work.

MountainDon

Special liner material is made for the purpose. You are right to avoid ordinary galvanized oipe as high heat can make it give off zinc fumes and that is not good to breath.

Here's one of many links http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/clbrd/831/category/Flexible-Chimney-Liner.html  Its just the first that came up, do a google.

An RV water pump is all that is needed for pressure in a small RV-like system. The shurflo we have does 40 psi, IIRC. Check the on demand heater specs to see if that would be sufficient. Should be okay. Also watch the flow rates and intake water temp to see if the combination will give water hot enough.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Yankeesouth on January 28, 2011, 02:08:20 PM
One more thing....

Would creosote build-up be any more of a problem/issues in a chimney vs. steel lined tube???

You could use a extension from the top of your stove to protrude up into the chimney.  Then occassionally disconnect push up into the chimney, pull the stove and clean and then replace the extension and continue.  Yes it will be less effecient but it will work.  You need a shroud to go around the stove and against the fireplace opening.  It will be more efficent with the extension rather than just dumping all of that exhaust into the firebox as a fireplace operates and allowing it to swirl and cool before going out.  At least that is what is done in the mountian state.  Don's suggestion is probably the best approach but a little more costly.

Alan Gage

Lots of great stove info. at this site:

http://hearth.com/

Very active forums and some good articles and reviews. Should be able to find answers to most of your questions.

Alan