building 8' x 16' storage shed - need advice

Started by paul s, December 14, 2015, 09:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul s

A friend has asked me to build them an 8 foot by  16 foot storage shed.  I got the basic shed figured out but I am questioning what to do for foundation.  Will be a skid foundation of 4x4's pressure treated sitting on one 8 inch cement block every so often.

So how many 4x4 skids 16 feet long?  2 or 3?  and the exact spacing?

For the floor joists on top of them  2x4 or 2x6 on 16 inch centers?

I think you all are great and thanks in advance for the help.

Paul

Redoverfarm

If it were mine I would go with 6X6 skids. 2 if you set them in 18"-24" from the sides and 2X6 joist.  Use solid 4" blocks for the skids to set on.

NathanS

I just built a shed this way (10x14) (http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=14177.0). I used two 4x4 skids with 2x6 joists. I did not cantilever the joists. 9' 9" or 9' 1" (species) is the rated span for 2x6 floor joists 16" OC for a 40PSF live, 10PSF dead load. That's why I felt comfortable spanning 9' 5". Each skid is sitting on three 4"x8"x16" concrete blocks.

The load bearing walls are where the rafters rest. IMO there is no purpose to adding a third skid. For 16' I would use 4 blocks under each skid. Certainly would not hurt anything to step up to 6x6 skids. Also just make sure your local supplier has them in 16' length.

paul s

After looking at sheds on display in the area,I decided on 4 x 4 runners  16' long, 2 of them on 6' center with 2x6 floor joists on 16 inch centers and 3/4 pt plywood floor.

most roll back trucks will handle this if it is ever moved which is not likely as there is a 7'wide wing  on one 16 foot side and a green house on the other 16' side.

will publish photos as  i get going on it.

Paul