An update on Larry Kidd

Started by peternap, February 20, 2010, 09:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I talked to Larry a couple of times last week. I guess I should get by there more often, he's only 20 miles from me. Just never seems to be enough time. He cut some Cedars that he's saving for me. I use them as poles for buildings instead of treated.

He made it through another winter and is still 100% off grid. His charging system is not as green as  mine but he also doesn't have as much open space as I do.
The outside wood heater he made is working and he's added a semi automatic feed system so he doesn't have to get up in the miuddle of the night.

He just added on to the house and has a fair amount of space now. He still hasn't drilled aa well and is pulling from a spring 200 tards away to a storage tank. He gets about 3 days of water in the tank and treats it with choline.

He is still using the outhouse but is getting interested in the composting system I have.

Work is still almost non existent in this part of Va.

One of his biggest problems this winter has been getting the kids a mile down his drive to the main road for school every morning.

Like all of us, he's getting some older and has something wrong with his right arm. It sounds like carpel tunnel syndrome to me but who knows.  Money's tight so he's going to skip the doctor for a while.

I don't know when he'll get back on here if ever. The nearest town is 10 miles from him and he doesn't have a laptop to use when he does get there.

He said to tell everyone hello.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Encouraging words Peter aside from his physical well being. Think of him often and wondering how he is adapting to country life.   

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the info on Larry, Nikole and family, Peter. Tell him hi for us too.  Glad to hear he is at least surviving and a bit better.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 20, 2010, 01:06:31 PM
Encouraging words Peter aside from his physical well being. Think of him often and wondering how he is adapting to country life.   

I'll give you an idea how tight things have gotte ther John. Larry has several horses now. They were given to him because r=the owners just couldn't afford to feed them.

I told Larry he was welcome to use the hay from the new field I put in (The one with Fescue) if he could find a bailer to use,
Funny, we discussed my mistake by putting Fescue in but it seems the majority of farmers there are using it to get more cuttings. Things at=re very tight.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!