Building in VA

Started by georgevacabin, August 05, 2007, 09:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgevacabin

Hello All,

Seems to be many people in this forum building out West.  Anyone building in VA?  Just curious.

Thanks!

peter_nap

Yep, just ordered the plans.

Will be building near Mecklinburg

MikeG

am close to building a small (micro) cabin in Cumberland County, Va.

(Raabe Retreat or Butler Projects Grand Cabin type structure for use during hunting season).  Already have carpet and Honda E2000 generator ...just don't have the cabin yet!

Mike

georgevacabin

Hey Folks,

Great!  I will be building in Prospect.  I too just ordered my plans.  Hope to start at the end of Sept.  A place to camp with the family in the summer and hunt in the fall.  

I would love to hear stories, see photos as you go along.  I will provide the same.

Good luck!!

MikeG

Have you seen what Wilkes Lakes Sheds (in Prospect) has to offer in the way of cabins?  That's where I would purchase something to be delivered if I wasn't going to take my savings in a self built place (sweat equity) and put it towards a European or South American vacation next year.

They have nice products and helpful staff.....but I'm always considering the savings by doing it myself...especially since I'm going small.

I'll make sure I take a camera when I start.
MikeG

georgevacabin

Hi MikeG,

Yep.  I got a chance to look at the Wilkes Lakes Sheds.  Actually that led me to thinking of building one on my own.  I'm not in a rush and will take my time.  Besides, sweat equity makes the end product that much more enjoyable. :)

georgevacabin

Currently in PA - building in Prospect, VA

Is there a recommended local place to purchase the crushed stone?

MikeG

I don't know the answer to that; but I'll probably be headed to Cumberland County in a few weeks...want me to inquire?

How much you looking for?  The same stuff that's known as "crush and run", or "Crusher run", depending on the area.......doesn't it come in some type of "size" of the rocks?
MikeG

georgevacabin

Hey MikeG,

Thanks for the response.  I am new to this whole process so I'm not sure about the size of rock.  I would hope that the merchant would clarify for me.

And thanks for the offer to ask around.  I will be heading down for a day of recon probably next week.  I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before starting to build at the end of Sept.  

I will keep you posted as to what I find.

Thanks!!

georgevacabin

Hey MikeG,

Got a chance to recon the area.  A few things:

1.  I checked out Wilkes Lakes Sheds.  They sell a 14x24 cabin for ~$5,600 with an unfinished interior.  I've estimated my project will cost me ~$3,000 in materials.  I've collected some reusable items that were free or cost me next to nothing (1-exterior door, 5-windows, some roofing material) and I have about 7 guys providing free labor - I should say working for food, beer, and a chance get away from home for 3 days ;D.  So all told, I'm guessing my cabin will come in around 4K max.

2.  I found a local lumber yard that carries the 2x8x24 pt.  Building a beam with 4 of these saves me about $30 over building up a beam with smaller lumber from the box store as I had originally planned.

3.  While at Wilkes I was told that they get their stone from a place in Cumberland County.  I didn't get the name but will have time to check it out when I am there again at the end of the month.

4.  They also told me that they put the cabins right on concrete blocks.  I asked about the frost line, etc.  The said that they have never had a problem with the blocks.  Another local that I have befriended also suggested just using blocks (He actually showed me an addition that he put on his home several years ago using concrete blocks - no problem).  I still think that I will did 12-16 inches.

I am going to start a thread in the owner-builder section in the next day or so.  

I hope your project/planning in going well!

georgevacabin

Looking at my post.  Sorry for the typos/grammer.  Running on empty here :o.  Good night! :D

glenn-k

Finding what works successfully in similar conditions locally is a pretty safe bet.

Friendly helpful locals are usually aware of any problems or standard methods.

When in Rome...

MikeG

Sounds like a plan!

I have come full circle (again) and am back to having Wilkes Lakes Sheds construct me a 12 x 16 cabin, deliver it, level it on blocks and be done with it.
Will most likely order it this week, and have delivery in 2 1/2 - 3 weeks...

I'm about 3 and a half hours away in Virginia Beach...despite having friends who have offered to help build my mini cabin (if I get lumber on-site, I figure we could dry it in in a matter of days...I did that with a backyard shed here at the house.)

I already have the building permit and have worked out the specs...I've upgraded to walls and rafters 16 inches O.C.; 2 x 6 floor joists; 2 x 6 rafters; double insulated floor, which is a 3/4 styrofoam sandwiched between 2 sheets of 5/8 inch plywood.....has smartpanel siding, 30 year shingles and a 8 foot ridge vent....7 foot walls so it can trucked over to the property.....will close off the ceiling cathedral style......with taxes, about 3,800 bucks.... a place for me to go as many weekends as I can from bow season to muzzleloading to general firearms...roughly Oct through the first Sat in Jan; add rabbit and squirrel through Jan.

I plan on putting my own deck on the front and attaching a shed style roof to keep the rain off the porch and front door.  This construction and building a detached small structure to house a sawdust or marine toilet...and Bam!  I'm done...of course that's after wiring for Honda e2000 generator and insulating and covering walls.  These projects should give me enough satisfaction to be building something myself to let me work through not building the initial structure myself....it could be done, it's just inconvenient.

I've got the generator, carpet, gas stove, small electric furnace for heat....I just need the 12 x 16 to put it all in.  Probably head up there Thursday to spruce up the mostly cleared out location for it to be set up.

I'll keep you informed and send a picture when I get it there.
MikeG

georgevacabin

Hey MikeG,

Let me get this straight.  Wilkes is building your 12 x 16 cabin for $3,800?  Wow.  I wonder why there is such a price jump to the 14x24 (listed at ~$5,600).  Well it looks like they put out a quality product so you should be good.  Best of luck.  

We are planning on going bare bones.  No electric.  Outhouse using the humanure composting system.

We should try to connect during the season.  I typically only get down to hunt during firearm season (coming from Philly).  Harvested two big does last year.  Saw a couple of nice size bucks this past weekend.  I bring the family down in the Spring and Summer to camp. It is a little over 4.5 hrs drive.

MikeG

Not really that big a difference, I'd say...12x16 to 14x24 not quite double in size...not quite double in price.

The base cost was in the 2800 dollar ballpark for a "Cottage style" shed...but the upgrades on 2x6 lumber and 16 inches O.C., etc, to make it more suitable for a cabin added around a thousand bucks.

For my purposes of having my own mini -cabin, on my 2 plus acres,  adjacent to land my brother in law has a cabin with running water, electricity, which I have a key and access to, etc (and I hope not to lose shower priveleges)....all I really need is the Raabe Retreat....and I'd build it if I wanted to fool with it.

Where you hunting?  Private land?  State Forest?
Would be great to check out each other's digs.
MikeG

georgevacabin

Hey Mike G,

The wife and I picked up this property about 5 yrs ago cheap.  So I'm hunting on private land, ~46 acres.  Got tired of dodging bullets on public land in PA  :o.  I posted some shots on in the builder's gallery.  

Heading down next week to break ground.  Excited!

Has you cabin been delivered?  

All the best.

MikeG

Haven't ordered the cabin yet...long story, but I had to delay it.

I'm hoping to order it the next couple weeks....after I figure out a good delivery date/day...I work nights and am off Wed/THu/Fri...but I also teach at the local community college  on Mon/Wed/Fri.

I look forward to going up for a day and a half to clear a spot and hunt; sometime soon.  Then get it delivered and spend more time fixing it when the semester ends the first week in Dec....plus some more hunting.

By the way...I looked at the pictures you posted.....NICE!
Keep them coming.

Isn't this building forum great!
MikeG