20x32 A frame cabin Central KY

Started by EaglesSJ, July 23, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I am a firm believer in sheathing a roof with 7/16 or 5/8 OSB and then applying a weather resistant barrier (roofing felt or synthetic) and then the metal over that.

1. Purlins add no rigidity to the roof structure. Strong winds can still move the roof structure. Sheathing makes the roof structure very stiff; adds strength to the roof much the way a sheathed wall is much more rigid that a wall with diagonal let in 1x4's.  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11289.msg144882#msg144882

2. Not all metal roofing panels are rated as structural panels. IF they are rated for structural use they could be used over purlins. That still leaves....

3. The problem of what to do about condensation issues. Roofing felt can work; how do you install it horizontally and still be able to move about on the roof to secure the metal panels?

Maybe it's just my conservative nature but those are my concerns.

Maybe with the roof attached to another at right angles, that will help with roof stiffness. Still have the condensation issues though.

Is that going to be an open cathedral inside? How to insulate?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

EaglesSJ

And I appreciate your valuable input. I dont mean to come across as arrogant or a know it all. I just try to make the best decision I can given the money on hand and what info I have available at the time. I knew that the OSB would be stronger but I had no Idea that it would THAT much stronger. Those are some impressive numbers you posted.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: MtnDon on December 03, 2011, 07:42:16 PM

Is that going to be an open cathedral inside? How to insulate?

It will be an open ceiling however I will be installing insulation in between the rafters and covering them with 1x6 pine just as I have done inside the current cabin.

PorkChopsMmm

I remember seeing your plan on adding a second bathroom -- will you be tying into your other septic system? How will you handle the gray water? I ask as someone who has an off-grid cabin with 1 bathroom, with a composting toilet, and gray water.

Great job on planning on the addition early on. We built our cabin and only now am I thinking a few years down the line on an addition. I have nightmares about how to run the electrical, plumbing, and cutting in the walls.

EaglesSJ

we scrapped the second bathroom idea. the only thing we are putting in now is a corner jacuzzi

PorkChopsMmm

Thanks for the quick reply. I can see how eliminating the second bathroom should make it easier.

I may have missed it from a previous post of yours... but how are you handling the gray water? We plan on planting some fruit trees in the Spring.

EaglesSJ

Gray water just runs out down the hill about 75 ft from the cabin. The soil is extremely sandy here so when I say it runs out. I mean it almost immediately soaks into the ground when it exits the pipe.

MWAndrus

Hows that work in the winter time? We were thinking about running our grey water into a mulch trench to water a few trees, but I was worried it might freeze up in the winter time.

EaglesSJ

works fine. No trouble here and it got down in the single digits last year.

PorkChopsMmm

MW, here is a book that explains how to install it -- Greywater Oasis
http://www.amazon.com/New-Create-Oasis-Greywater-Choosing/dp/0964343398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323481959&sr=8-1

We are building in zone 5 and with a mulch trench, and the termination of the pipe underground, it should flow just fine and not cause a freezing problem if your ground can absorb water. The book goes over this a lot more in depth. The water coming out of your house is probably well above freezing and should aid in the absorption.

CjAl

my farmhouse in WI drained greywater right out into the yard. pipe ran underground for twenty feet then drained right out onto a slope. never had a problem and the last winter there was -20 for the better part of january

Sassy

We heard Brad Lancaster speak last Spring - excellent info - we bought his book (he's written 2 or 3 on greywater oasis).  I skimmed through the book a couple weeks ago. 

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

EaglesSJ

Yesterdays progress. Got the back half of the roof completed. Done it first since it was the toughest because of the height off the ground in the back. Gonna finish up the roof today and install the french doors. I HATE the steep roofs.

UK4X4

You put real wood up faster than I'm drawing mine !

Texas Tornado

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Texas Tornado on December 10, 2011, 08:18:06 PM
??? No plywood on the roof?

They are called purlins and they have been used for roofs for hundreds of years. Especially in cabins. As a matter of fact other 2 cabins on my road both use them and they have been there for 50+ years.

EaglesSJ

Todays work. Finished the roof, also put in the french doors but that was after dark so pics didnt turn out. Also done the underpinning a couple days ago. Still have to paint it and install the lattice over it but we wont have frozen pipes and thats the key. Ill get a full on shot of the house tomorrow in the daylight

astidham

the roof and addition looks incredible...
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

EaglesSJ

Updated pics of the roof and the beginnings of a deck. The deck is 12 ft out the front and 6 ft out the side.

CjAl

your little cabin is turning out to be quite the house

tommytebco

I nominate EaglesSJ as president of the "GIT-ER-DONE" Club.

Good, fast job!! Like someone said, you get it built faster than most of us get a sketch made.

willomiller

Got my vote!! Write a book about your journey also.

Sassy

That's lookin nice!  I'll vote for Eagle...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

mogie01

Your place is looking fantastic!!  Is the deck going to wrap around to the french doors? [cool]

EaglesSJ

yeah its gonna wrap all the way around. I actually finished the front of the deck last night before I went in to work. (i work night shift) Im about to go upstairs and catch a nap and then come down and finish the side deck in front of the french doors and put osb and tyvek on the end wall.