Foundation Question

Started by JackRabbit, April 23, 2014, 09:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackRabbit

Hello,

Recently ordered the big enchilada plans as I am going to build a 14x24 cabin. In the process of getting everything in order to start building. Had a couple questions about the foundation. I plan on a dry stack block with SBC foundation with poured 16'' footings.

How far down do my footings need to be? Iv been doing some reading and in my part of SD the frost depth varies from 25" to 40".
Do the water, septic, and electrical lines all run under the footings or through the foundation walls?
Whats the best way to stub them in so I can start on the foundation while I'm waiting for the plumber to run water and septic?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Redoverfarm

To prevent "frost/freeze heave" you need the bottom of your footing to be at the regions frost dept.  So in essence from your discription it needs to be 40".  The utilities need to be under your footings resting on "undisturbed soil"  Go with nothing less than Sch 40 pipe of the apprioate size for (1) Sewer line, (2) water line & (3) electrical line.  You can just loose fit caps on all of these but let them extend at least 4-6" on either side of the footing to enable you to easily connect at a later time.  Some have used a larger pipe as a sleeve but if it is properly done this could be eliminated.  I would re-enforce the area with rebar above the pipes in the footing when poured.