Shed foundation

Started by archimedes, March 11, 2013, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archimedes

I need to build a small shed about 10' X 12'  .     

I want to build a slab for it but can't get a concrete truck to the site and a pumper is too expensive.

I was thinking of renting a mixer and pouring a concrete collar,  of sorts,  around the perimeter,  maybe 10 - 12" wide for the building to sit on.  Then fill the interior with crushed stone.  I'm in FL so no frost heave here,  plus very well drained sand.

Good idea,  bad idea?  Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Don_P

That's basically my shop. The crushed rocks run from 1/2" to 2'. They are topped and infilled with pea gravel. I extended rebar out of the end of a pour and linked to it to start again. I've poured slab sections inside larger than 10x12 with the mixer. I have pea gravel, concrete sand and portland delivered and mix them rather than buying sakrete but either works.

MountainDon

Where we are I can get a sand and gravel premix for about the same price as separate items.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

archimedes

Don,  do you recall the dimensions you used for the "collar"?    I was thinking 10" - 12" wide and 6" - 8" deep. 

I have not priced the difference between bags or bulk.  Might be worth looking into.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Don_P

That's it, a turned down edge about 8" thick x 12" wide. For getting things above ground moisture it wouldn't hurt to pour a footing, run several rows of block around the perimeter and set the woodwork on that, then pour the slab inside.

highlandva