A Traditional Day

Started by Redoverfarm, October 03, 2009, 05:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Annually the small community of Huntersville located about 6 miles from the house has it's Traditional Days.  The locals dress in traditional attire and demonstrate some of the ways things were done several years ago.  My son played music for about 4-1/2 hours throughout the day.  Here are some pictures of some of the items on display that some of the younger children were introduced to and help operate.

All of the kids playing are under 14 years of age.

Apple Cider Press

Making cornbread.  Grinding the mix and cooking in a dutch oven over a fire.

Shelling corn

Blacksmith Shop

The weather was perfect. Mid 70's an around good day to enjoy the great outdoors and meet people.

peternap

Sounds like a wonderful time John...amd a great way to keep traditional knowledge alive.

I spent the day in Victoria where they had their Autumn festival. Much the same thing less the Crafts and I have to wonder where some of the people got their traditional outfits  [rofl2]

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

It all looks like fun.  We have similar things here but often, Sassy and I don't go into town to see them.  It's about 4 miles and we just can't think of much we need from the big city.  1700 people.... :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn that is a city in comparison to Huntersville.  Population is barely 150-200 normally.  Yesterday it probably increased to around 2500-3000 (for a day). This was the first county seat before moving to the big city(pop 1500).

The entire festivities covered maybe 10 different sites within a 1/4-1/2 mile stretch.  Civil war re-enactments, encampments, several demonstrations of old traits including basket making, cow and goat milking, spinning wheel, apple butter making.  The craft sales was basickly products from the demonstrations.

I too could have probably missed it without any regrets but Steven was employed as part of the entertainment.  There is nothing better than getting paid for something that you enjoy doing.    ;D

ScottA

Looks like it was a fine day John.  :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Red and Peter, looks like a lot of fun.  Ever since we moved, it seems we spend every weekend working our tails off to get our homestead up and running... never any shortage of work to be done.  Bluegrass festival is coming up, and I'm hoping to get to take the girls at least one day, though. 

glenn kangiser

When I actually do leave the farm and go to something like that, it is nearly always enjoyable, John.  Nice to keep some of the memories of the old days alive.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.