12x18 in Maine

Started by jayz0302, November 25, 2008, 01:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayz0302

Good afternoon, I have been lurking here for some time now, after I bought the small home kit back in August, now my project is as far as it is going for this year although I need to decide what I am doing with the outside.

It is the basic 12x18 plan and the kit helped out quite a bit. I am very proud of what my dad and I have done so far so I had to post a few pictures to show off.

http://picasaweb.google.com/artsmarine.jason/Cabin#

MountainDon

Good to see you make an appearance Jason.   w*
I've inserted a couple images from your album link.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

There are a number of choices, some more pricey than others.

We like lap siding.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Nice work and nice setting, Jason.  w* and thanks for the pix.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jayz0302

Thanks for the photo upload, and I am considering cove siding (or novelty) but I think I am going to put up ridge foam first so I did not want to install house rap now if I am going to do foam. My thought is to do tar paper to get me through the winter the do the foam with what ever I decide to for siding in the spring.

soomb

is that as a guest house or studio behind your main house?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

jayz0302

Well.... according to the town it is a shed but its plan is to be a guest cottage (I hope my code enforcement officer is not a member here)
I haven't really come full circle with this I live in a small town and there will only be someone in there a total of maybe two-three weeks a year.
On the other side I do want to do everything right so if anyone else has struggled with this any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The plan is to power it off the house witch is only 50ft from the cabin and have a composting (camping) toilet some water storage in the rafters and a dry well (witch I would not do without a permit) or just a dry sink sort of set up, the most anyone will do is a glass of water and brush there teeth. Also a heat source and fuel storage is a concern, I just wish that i knew the officer better so I could have a open conversation with him on this so I could make up my mind. The concern is TAXES and what it will do to my property value

diyfrank

Hey jayz,
Nice job there.  If you want to ask some questions I would just ask. inspectors are human.
Home is where you make it

MountainDon

Quote from: jayz0302 on November 25, 2008, 01:57:31 PM
...My thought is to do tar paper to get me through the winter the do the foam with what ever I decide to for siding in the spring.

#15 felt will work through the winter fine. Nail it on good. Think like the wind. The Plasti-cap nails are great for that.