Speaking of spiral staircases

Started by poppy, August 25, 2009, 06:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

Here is a spiral staircase that's always been a part of my growing up memory in my home town.

It's directly across from the court house on Main St.  Never saw anyone ever use it even though there is a door out onto the porch.  Just assumed that it was a fancy fire escape.

The vine was a lot smaller when I was a kid.  It's now about 7" in dia.

I think it's pretty unusual to see this kind of wrought iron work this far north.  The treads are wood (not original) and are about 2' wide.

NM_Shooter

How is that thing even growing?  !!!!!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

My MIL has a grape vine that is about that big at the base.  It is growing out of a 1' square in the concrete near her house.  You can tell that 3/4 of the vine is dead but it continued to survive with about 60' of vine covering 1/4 of the side of the house.  I keep reminding my self to get a start from it to plant at the house.  Must be a good harty variety to survive that way for the last 40-50 years.  Oh Yeah it does make good wine. ;D

kyounge1956

jb52761

Cool staircase....and that is a Trumpet vine...and along with Cher and cockroaches, they will be around after a nuclear holocaust...some folks concider them a weed...I have one here that is all the way to the top of a fully mature oak tree...quite invasive, once a stem touches the ground, it will self -root and travel wherever it can.....jb

poppy

Thanks jb, now I know what kind of vine it is. 

It's too bad they painted that old brick building that it is attached to.  The original would have made for a better photo; oh well.  ::)

Don_P

I had asked the pro here when you posted the pics and she also said it was a trumpet vine. Ever hear it called cow itch vine?