Spring Development

Started by Dallas2build, May 04, 2010, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallas2build

I've done a search and found very little on the site in regards to spring development.  I've also done some internet searches and found standard how to stuff, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it.  My spring is pretty close to my building site and it is not a full flowing spring, but rahter a seep.  I want to develop it for use in my cabin.  Not as drinking water mind you, but for everything else. 

Any thoughts from someone who has developed a seep spring before, or grew up with one etc...?  It keeps the area moist even in the midle of August, so it's pretty consistent.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help,

Dallas

Redoverfarm

Dallas normally you will have to do some excavating and then create a catch basin.  Once you dig back into the hillside you can follow the largest stream.    Then you will need to make a dam more or less and incorporate a pipe into the wall of the dam.  It can be 1/3 to 3/4 from the bottom.  Do not put the pipe on the bottom or you will constantly be getting "silt".  Depending on how much water you will be using will determine the flow rate of the spring, the size of the basin and the diameter and run of the pipe.  I would suggest that you build a cover over the basin to keep the water clean.  You will not keep out the salamanders   ;D  but blowing leaves, pine needles and the like is what you are trying to prevent from settling into the basin.

There was a Owner/builder that was utilizing a spring box but off hand I don't recall who it was.

Here is a search of your topic .

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22developing+a+natural+spring%22&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGIE_en

MountainDon

Frank (NM_Shooter) has a yet to be developed spring.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don I have the picture (Actually of the hole and tank)in my head of a member that built a spring box but I can't recall who. Maybe look back on some OB sites later. 

MountainDon

I'm beginning to imagine the same thing.... 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Here's the spring box on my neighbor's parcel... he has the best spring on the ranch. 

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4782.msg104250#msg104250

The one above mine may only flow 1/2 gallon per minute if I am lucky. 

I was going to head up, and excavate, and put in some sort of wooden box initially... maybe T&G Cedar 2X6?  I don't know how well that would seal.  That is a goal well outside my stretch goals for this summer!

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Dallas2build

Thanks for the info.  Now I remember seeing that picture in your thread. d*

It sounds like your spring may be more similar to mine than your neighbors.  Mine is just a wet spot year round that has a good bunch of water grass growing in it.  It's on top of a small mountain and if you drive through it you will leave ruts.  It never just flows that I am aware of.  I need a way to collect the seepage and settle it. 

From what I've read I have to decide on horizontal or verticle collection.  Excavating will be the only real way for me to know I guess.

Since a spring is shallow ground water I also have a concern about my septic system.  The spring is relatively close to my proposed building site.  How far away would I need to put my lateral lines to be sure I don't contaminate my water supply.  It seems to me the spring indicates a vain of water running very close to the surface.  How do I make sure it isn't coming from the direction I lay my lateral lines?

I'm no idiot, I wasn't planning on putting them within 100 feet of each other or something, but how far would be far enough? ???

MountainDon

in NM it's 100 ft between a well and a septic field, if that helps.

Dallas2build

That is definetly helpful Don.  I was thinking it would be even further than that.  I guess my biggest concern is that the spring is a shallow water flow and there is no way to know what direction it is flowing from.  I guess if my lateral lines go down hill and my spring is uphill with over 100 feet between them I should be safe huh?  It's not like I will have much black water anyway.  With limited weekend use and a completely different drain system for gray water it will probably take a long time for my septic tank to ever fill up.

Do most of you run a seperate gray water drain or do you run it all together?

eddiescabin

There IS someone here that has a spring. I cannot recall the name but he built in the high mountains/snowy area and had his daughter helping. I realize this is not much info but the guy was smart and his project was up in no time with many helpful tips.

archimedes

If I remember correctly (always questionable) both Bishopknight and Speedfunk had spring fed wells in their projects with pics posted here.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.