Election Day! Get out and vote!

Started by bayview, November 02, 2010, 07:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayview

Hey!   It's Election Day!   Get out and vote. . .    Make a difference.   You shouldn't have any complaints unless you vote.   Only about 1/2 of the voters actually vote.   Do your civic duty . . .    Vote!

"In 2000, the U.S. Census Bureau asked a cross section of Americans who did not vote, why they chose to civically abstain.  Almost half (43 percent) of those absentee folks cited four reasons for staying home: too busy, conflicting schedule, not interested, or they felt their vote would not make a difference.  Well...that's not good enough, not in my opinion.  For voting is perhaps the most important civic act we carry out as Americans.  To vote is to pay our "dues" as citizens.  Rights matter for nothing unless we exercise them."

Like, it really makes a difference.  

"Voters don't really 'choose' who is elected; they are only allowed to choose between two clones selected by the major parties."

"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."    Joseph Stalin

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

bayview

Goggle  "how to hack a voting machine"   Very enlightening . . .

Check out this youtube video.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Pox Eclipse

Because if it's on youtube, it must be true...

Grimjack

I have a different take on it....if you vote and your guy isn't elected you have no right to complain. You gave tacit approval to the results by participating in the process. Those of us who do not vote have every right to complain, about the entire system. And once you realize that all politicians are corrupt, it makes no difference which republicrat or demican candidate gets into office the government leviathian will always march forward.

When it's my turn to vote I'll probably be doing it looking through my sights....

peternap

Quote from: bayview on November 02, 2010, 07:50:13 AM

"In 2000, the U.S. Census Bureau asked a cross section of Americans who did not vote, why they chose to civically abstain.  Almost half (43 percent) of those absentee folks cited four reasons for staying home: too busy, conflicting schedule, not interested, or they felt their vote would not make a difference.  

Already voted but I didn't answer the Census...so does my vote count [rofl2]

Quote of the day:
If a vote is cast and no Census is around to report it, did it make a difference?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Squirl

Vote Early, Vote often  :)

I thought turnout is even lower in midterm elections.

peternap

Quote from: Grimjack on November 02, 2010, 09:26:36 AM
I have a different take on it....if you vote and your guy isn't elected you have no right to complain. You gave tacit approval to the results by participating in the process. Those of us who do not vote have every right to complain, about the entire system. And once you realize that all politicians are corrupt, it makes no difference which republicrat or demican candidate gets into office the government leviathian will always march forward.

When it's my turn to vote I'll probably be doing it looking through my sights....

If I had a worthless Obama Treasury Note for every time I hear that from someone....I could buy my own country and watch the no show revolution here. ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: Grimjack on November 02, 2010, 09:26:36 AM
Those of us who do not vote have every right to complain, about the entire system.
The first amendment guarantees your right to complain, whether you vote or not.  It does not, however, guarantee that anyone will listen to you.  Those who vote have far more credibility that those who don't, becuase they have made the effort to participate in the process, instead of just cursing the darkness.  

You may express your opinion, but as far as I am concerned, it doesn't count.

MountainDon

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on November 02, 2010, 09:33:49 AM
Those who vote have far more credibility that those who don't, becuase they have made the effort to participate in the process, instead of just cursing the darkness.  

You may express your opinion, but as far as I am concerned, it doesn't count.

Amen
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Just got back from voting....

No sense of humour at the polling place. I checked in got my ballot sat down and begun to fill out my selections. Got back up went back to the table asked for a new ballot..."Why?" was asked. I told the individual that I did not like the selections on this ballot and was hoping for maybe one with  better selections for me, cause these choices stink!

No sense of humour....

Shawn B

Time for the pendulum to swing back so we can have Tyranny of the Right, and the Big Gov't GOP can take power.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

bayview

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on November 02, 2010, 09:17:16 AM
Because if it's on youtube, it must be true...

What did you think of the video?   What part did you think is fraudulent?   Or are you dismissing it solely because it is on youtube and the internet?

/.   

muldoon

Douglas Adams snippet
An extraterrestrial robot and spaceship has just landed on earth. The robot steps out of the spaceship...

"I come in peace," it said, adding after a long moment of further grinding, "take me to your Lizard."

Ford Prefect, of course, had an explanation for this, as he sat with Arthur and watched the nonstop frenetic news reports on television, none of which had anything to say other than to record that the thing had done this amount of damage which was valued at that amount of billions of pounds and had killed this totally other number of people, and then say it again, because the robot was doing nothing more than standing there, swaying very slightly, and emitting short incomprehensible error messages.

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like to straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"

"What?"

"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"

"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."

Ford shrugged again.

"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."

I voted libertarian. 

ChuckinVa

Only 1/2 the voters vote? I thought all of the voters voted? ??? If they didn't vote they wouldn't be voters would they ? d* Man, this politics stuff is really difficult to understand.  :)
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Grimjack

Ok, I guess I'm going to have to take back what I said. I went and voted yesterday.....for all the good it did. Every person I voted for, lost. Almost every proposition I voted for failed.

Ernest T. Bass

I like the analogy of the kid who wants a green shirt. The parent hates the green shirt and knows the kid will throw a fit if forced to get a blue one. So, the kid gets to choose between a red and a blue shirt. He picks one and is happy because he thinks he actually has a choice...

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Phssthpok

Tell me...

Why should I vote and lend ANY credibility to someone else's claim of authority over my life? ???

Only those who DO vote have no cause to complain, for by playing the game they implicitly accept the rules and the outcome. [crz]

I do not. n*