Parent's Get-Away

Started by Pala, August 27, 2006, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

bartholomew

You've done this much and you're wimping out on the gutters? Are they going to be copper or something? Looks great so far, thanks for all the photos.

Pala

QuoteYou've done this much and you're wimping out on the gutters? Are they going to be copper or something? Looks great so far, thanks for all the photos.

Na, it's just that continious gutters are the way to go.  I don't have one of those fancy extrusion machines handy, so I'll pay a guy who does.  I won't be doing the insulation or drywall myself, either.  My project isn't in the woods, where DIY is applied more to the project.  I have adequate access to tradesmen who produce above average work at an econmical price.

YMMV.  Plus who wants to hang gutters, comm'on.   ;)

chuckie.

chatycady

In one of your pictures I believe I saw the panel for radiant floor heat. Am I right? Is this a DIY system? Boiler? Water heater? Electric? Gas? I'm putting in a similar heat system and am looking for advice or suggestions. Your "get a way" is really looking nice. And the snow ads interest to the project! :) :)

glenn-k

Check this out, chatycady.

http://www.radiantdesigninstitute.com/page62.html

Simple system with tank heater(gas) electric won't keep up - more foolproof than trying it with an on demand heater.

Check out the rest of the site too.  http://www.radiantdesigninstitute.com/page2.html

Pala

Thanx for the links Glenn.

Chaty, I used this page as my guide :

http://www.radiantcompany.com/system/open.shtml

I am using a SETS Systems ondemand electric H2O heater:

http://setssystems.com/

I am making my best educated-guess at building this system.  Cross your fingers.   I just mounted that panel in the utility room I will snap some photos today.  I hooked up the main waterline to the house and we're on the list with the power co. for hook up.

Click my link below for a million more photos.

chuck

chatycady

Pala

This is the on-demand water heater, 80A sub panel and main load center.  Shocking!!

Some new photos in the plumbing album:

http://www.kinnik.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=g_st_plumbingelectricmechanical

glenn-k

We have found that the on demand electric heaters require  more power than the whole rest of the house during the time they are on.  

Note that on Solar my cabin uses 1 to 4 amps at 120 v for normal operation and 10 to 12  amps  at 220 when pumping water.

Amanda_931

Somewhere around 10 times the amount.

Rather of a lot.

Pala

Been busy and weather stricken.  lots more photos:

http://www.kinnik.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=g_st_trim_details

glenn-k

Looking good, Chuck.  

Is it legal to cover your fancy rafter tails with gutters? :-?

Pala

QuoteLooking good, Chuck.  

Is it legal to cover your fancy rafter tails with gutters? :-?

It's a game of give and take.

:)

Pala

Hot Water.  It's like a real house.

Lots of photos at the link below.

Sassy

Your place is looking great!  That is a deck outside the upper front porch, isn't it?  At 1st I thought it was going to be, then I saw the way you'd done the roofing & thought, no... then with the latest pics it looks like a nice deck area from the bedroom?  I like all the neat details  8-)

Pala

QuoteYour place is looking great!  That is a deck outside the upper front porch, isn't it?  At 1st I thought it was going to be, then I saw the way you'd done the roofing & thought, no... then with the latest pics it looks like a nice deck area from the bedroom?  I like all the neat details  8-)

Yep its a nice deck. It's about 17'x6'3".  With real nice territorial view.  We're lining it with EPDM pond liner, with two drains in the outboard corners and each has an overflow mounted on the vertical wall nearby.  Those drains will lead to built-up columns where the porch meets the house.  And thence to the downspout drains below the porch deck.  First floor deck is 2x6 t&g car decking.  The ceiling will be 1x6 t&g pine, painted.  Above the pond liner, we will build three removeable deck panels.  I think we will be using Tigerwood.  It's about a third the price of Epe.  They also have some Purpleheart decking coming in.  It's even less than the Tigerwood.  All about the same hardness.

Full speed ahead!! :o

Pala

Progress.  

Sassy

TBA

Beautiful work Pala,

Is that cedar you are using to trim out the windows - building corners etc? Or something else?

Thanks.

Pala

QuoteBeautiful work Pala,

Is that cedar you are using to trim out the windows - building corners etc? Or something else?

Thanks.

It's stock pre-primed facia in 1"x? and 5/4"x?

I believe it's spruce.  When you work it, it smells like wet dog.  Odd.

thanx for the compliments.  everyone's really happy with the results.

chuck.

peg_688

Ya it's Pre - Primed Spruce , or PPS as I call it , another PEG acronym ::)

Chuck what's up with the OSB soffits??  Maybe next time get some Satin ply or LP plane to do the exposed Soffits/ Rake / Barge  area's  ;) Sure it will be painted but ......

Just a suggestion , looks nice all in all.  8-)   I like the lil details at the headers , did ya put a lil pitch cut / angle  on them??  So they drain better.

TBA

I believe it's spruce.  When you work it, it smells like wet dog.  Odd.

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen the product before, but I love the look!! Are your windows (the single hungs) something like a R/O 30 1/2 by 48 1/4? That's about the size I'll be using for several windows and I've really appreciated watching your photo gallery, it's been very helpful.

Is the PPS relatively stable, primarily against cupping?

PEG, please chime in if you can advice pro or con.

peg_688

If your painting , the PPS is OK , it can cup but generally does that if it drys to quickly , like if you bring it inside a heated space. It does shrink so you can cut it tight , I sometime biscuit the peak joins using caulk for glue , Chuck  has the roof metal lapping over that will cover most of joint , a keystone / or some such can also cover a long ridge cut to cover the shrinking issue.

It would also be nice to  RE -pre prime any cuts , I used to do that when I ran my own business.  

All in all it's a good paint grade product.  Straight , few knots, generally doesn't split.  I don't think Home Cheapo carries it we get it at the local lumber yard.

G/L PEG  

Pala

OSB?   :-?  No OSB to be found, photo must be playing tricks on you.

The eves are sheathed in 5/8" S-Ply.   $33 a sheet.

What are you refering to about the header detail??  Sometimes the monkeys get into all kindsa mistchif.

The single hungs are 2'6" x 6' 2".  The two gang-ed together is very impressive from the inside and then the three sets together make a very open airy front room.

I'm glad y'all like.

chuck.