someone's gonna get a bargain

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 09, 2008, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishing_guy

When we bought our up-north land, we were looking at a different property.  The agent we were going through kind of misrepresented the property.  While we were looking at it, a car pulled into the driveway.  Another agent from the same office.

We explained that this wasn't what we were looking for and the reason why. (It was built on a swamp with about 3 inches of fill under the house to get it up and out of the water.)  After talking with him for 5 minutes about what we were looking for, he told us about a piece of land he was getting a listing for in the near future.

We went out to look at it, and drove back to tell him we wanted to put an offer on it as soon as it came on the market.

Well, the initial agent we went through had "dibs" on us, because we talked to her first. (agency rules, which the second agent was fine with).  Fast forward 3 weeks and the land came on the market.  We waited a week for the first agent to contact us.  No calls, no emails.  Finally we called the second agent and told him that if the first agent didn't call us back in an hour, we were going with him, rules or no rules.

We got our call, put and offer in, and then got a "frantic" call from the agent.  "More than one offer has been made and that usually means AT LEAST a full price offer"...

We held our ground and said fine...our offer stands as is.  The worst thing that will happen is that we buy a boat instead.

We got our land, but will deal with the second agent if the opportunity arises.  He was that much better.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Benevolence, I agree that most of them are far more concerned about making a buck than what is in their client's best interest.  We had one quibble over a thousand dollars on the offer one time...I offered a certain amount and she was trying to argue that they just couldn't let it go for that little and they needed at least a thousand more.  So, I told her that I was sorry, but my offer stood and I wouldn't pay one cent more.  A few hours later she called back and accepted the offer.  Come to find out later, she hadn't even spoken to the owners about the supposed thousand they so desperately needed.  It was just what she wanted to protect her bottom line. 

I finally emailed her and asked if she had spoken to them yet or if they had made any decisions.  I also reminded her that we would entertain ANY offer and work with them, and that she won't lose her commission even if the offer is low because the company will cover it.    Hopefully that will be enough to help get it sold.

apaknad

hope it works out Homey, i can't wait to see the new place.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Squirl

That is one of the bigger problems I have run into.  I am more interested in the land not the house.  That just flips the model of the system to sell houses on its head.  Many real estate systems will not even allow you to search or sort listings by land size.  The value added benfit of a large house is where the commissions are made.  Most realtors won't even give me the time of day.  I don't know why they even list just land.  If they get 6% on 20,000 piece of land they make 1200 for a day of work.  The problem is everyone is looking for the 12,000 income still for a few days work.  During the real estate boom every waiter I knew got his or her real estate liscence.  They kept bragging how much money they made for doing no work.  I just don't see why many are not willing to accept the money that you are willing to pay them and look at you like a big fish to real in. 
I believe the real estate market has shifted along with the rest of our economy.  I also think that realtors who have been in this on the ride up to the top of the boom are having a tough time readjusting.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, here is one of the places we like.  Pretty sure they are including the covered back porch in the sq. footage because there is no way it is that big.  Also these pics don't do the place justice, and they don't show the big gorgeous pasture.  Hope our place will sell soon enough we have this place as an option.  I thinkk it would be fairly easy to build a shed-roofed addition so that we could use the current living area as a dining room. Enjoy.

http://www.realtor.com/realestate/chandler-ok-74834-1103627671/

fishing_guy

Looks like a great place HG.  Good luck.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

StinkerBell

Quote from: benevolance on October 28, 2008, 02:04:34 PM
Stink

Nice place...good acreage with a garage...Sounds like a winner... Good price as well. 1300 Square footage is not a lot when you consider it is a full 2 story... that is only 22 x 30 which is not a large house and from the pictures the house looked to be a fair size.

Take the tape measure with you when next you go... our eyes can be deceiving... the tape measure never lies ;)

I am soooo confused....and in another thread I was confused with sassy.....I have no identity!

Homegrown Tomatoes

rofl  That was funny.

Well, finally got an email from our realtor, and she is still waiting to hear back from the couple that wants our house.  She finally tells me that if they make an offer it will have to be contingent upon them selling their current house in IL.  Oh boy... let's see, it's taken us over 8 months to even get someone to look seriously at our house and they are going to try to sell theirs in an even worse market in order to buy ours... [frus] [frus] [frus] [frus] [frus] [frus] [frus] [frus] [frus] [frus]  That sounds like loads of fun.  Oh boy, I can't wait to make ridiculous mortgage payments on a house I no longer live in for months on end so that I can eventually (if I'm lucky) sell it for less than I owe on it. The whole thing is making me  [crz]

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: benevolance on October 28, 2008, 02:04:34 PM
Stink

Nice place...good acreage with a garage...Sounds like a winner... Good price as well. 1300 Square footage is not a lot when you consider it is a full 2 story... that is only 22 x 30 which is not a large house and from the pictures the house looked to be a fair size.

Take the tape measure with you when next you go... our eyes can be deceiving... the tape measure never lies ;)
FWIW, it's not a full 2-story.  There is a partial loft with two sleeping areas and a bathroom.  It looks bigger in the picture than it really is.  Yeah, and the stair railings and the loft railing about gave me a heart attack when my kids were climbing around on it.... they were far enough apart that not only the baby and the four-year-old could get through between the rails, but even my big 5-year-old could easily squeeze through.  Doesn't matter anyway because at this rate it will probably be sold before our place is sold anyway.  Dang it.   :(

StinkerBell

:(

There is a home I want, but can't bid on unless I sell my home. I understand! Probably will be sold before I sell mine!

>insert a tantrum right here<

ScottA

The moral of this story? Never leave Oklahoma. Hang in there HG maybe wisconsin will get hit by a hurricane or something.  d*

glenn kangiser

Quote from: benevolance on October 28, 2008, 02:48:35 PM
Sorry stink you crazy ladies all look the same to me on the internet d*

Hey Peter.... This could be a two bag date ---

One for your computer and one for you in case the one on your computer falls off. ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: ScottA on October 28, 2008, 05:48:24 PM
The moral of this story? Never leave Oklahoma. Hang in there HG maybe wisconsin will get hit by a hurricane or something.  d*
rofl rofl

OK, OK already.  I've repented for leaving Oklahoma in the first place.  Keep in mind, it was never my idea in the first place. ;D  It was that husband of mine; he made me do it. ;)  My realtor here shrugged the other day when I was telling her the dilemma with the house and she said, "Well... there's always insurance fraud." 

ScottA

I was going to suggest that but I didn't want to give you any ideas.

StinkerBell

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on October 28, 2008, 08:21:02 PM
Quote from: ScottA on October 28, 2008, 05:48:24 PM
rofl rofl

OK, OK already.  I've repented for leaving Oklahoma in the first place.  Keep in mind, it was never my idea in the first place. ;D  It was that husband of mine; he made me do it. ;)  My realtor here shrugged the other day when I was telling her the dilemma with the house and she said, "Well... there's always insurance fraud." 

What the heck does that mean?

glenn kangiser

Don't do it, Homey --- they have already recorded this posting..... [crz] rofl

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Just remember --- If we do it, it's fraud, but if they (AIG?) do it , it is grounds for a multi billion dollar bail out with taxpayer money -- and you can even throw a half million dollar party, but you will have to cancel the billion dollar parties, 'cause them nasty ol' taxpayers are such whiners and spoil sports.  d*

StinkerBell

Why would ya want to work with someone who even suggest such a thing?

glenn kangiser

The world is full of them - some get away with it - some don't - I wouldn't think of trying it.  A guy has to live with himself.  I'm not that low yet.

StinkerBell

Yes the world is full of them, but why would I want to work with one the is advertising?

I do not like working with under handed people.

glenn kangiser

I agree.  You are a good conscientious girl, Stink.  I still don't understand why you hang out with me... [crz]

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

Homegrown Tomatoes

She was just trying to be funny, Stink.  She proceeded to tell me that bounce fabric softener is one of the most flammable substances known to man.  She and I have had many disagreements on moral issues, though, not the least of which is an insinuation that it would be OK to commit insurance fraud.  (In the first place, I could never do that even if I didn't have a problem with it morally, because I put too much darn work into that house to destroy it!!!)  This is the same realtor who tried to get me to make a contingency offer on the place I like because she was "worried about us not being happy" in the rental house we're in.  I told her that it might have been an issue if being happy with where I'm at is my ultimate goal. I also told her that people consumed with being happy now are responsible for the mortgage mess going on nationally.  She apologized for being pushy.  She talks about people being 'bigots' but then also says she can't stand people from India.... she is a study in human nature.  She is unprofessional and tells way too much personal information that I never wanted to know.  I get very frustrated with her at times, and while on one hand I see her as a person who needs to be shown grace, on the other I find her one of the hardest to be gracious to.  And, I have a six month contract with her because of the 'first person you talk to gets dibs on you' policy.  This woman closes on houses every week, even in the current economy, and she does know real estate (though she is kind of ignorant about what constitutes good land.)  I don't know why I'm working with her other than a good friend recommended her and she is the first one I talked to.  She likes me, and asks if I will come visit her in the nursing home when she ends up in a nursing home because she is sure she'll have Alzheimer's before too long because her mother did.  She is not married and has never had children, lives in a giant mansion alone, and is constantly looking for ways to earn and hoard earthly wealth.  Truth be told, I feel sorry for her.

StinkerBell

Good for you! I struggle with the giving grace issue to those who drive me looney.