Do you remember

Started by peternap, August 14, 2008, 08:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apaknad

do you rmember who festus replaced on gunsmoke(trivia time)?
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

MountainDon

Australia and the UK have gun ownership bans and the criminals still have and use firearms in the commission of assorted crimes. What do you make of that?

Canada has stricter (than the USA) gun laws. There a home owner is more likely to become a victim of a daylight forced entry invasion/robbery than here.    ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Festus was Dillon's deputy.  Have no idea who he really was.    ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

apaknad

he wasn't the original deputy, that was dennis weaver( had a bum leg and was always calling out "mr. dillon, mr. dillon").

apaknad

ben,

you are being very nieve(sp?) if you trust the government to do the right thing. it will come back to haunt you.

desdawg

I received this in an e-mail some time back: To all the kids born in the USA
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

Quote from: benevolance on August 15, 2008, 02:59:28 AM
Don again you are using the criminal argument and it is still weak and pathetic...And this is not Australia..Fire arms are allowed here in the USA Guns are allowed in Canada.... Just not concealed weapons... Which I agree with

My point is simply that no matter what you have, registration all the way through confiscation, the criminals will still have their methods of obtaining guns. Gun laws do not keep guns out of the hands of criminals! Never have, never will! Numerous times news reports read something like this.... "along with (place specified crime here) Mr. X was charged with illegal possession of a firearm."

Criminals will and do take advantage of the fact that the honest population has been disarmed. Same thing for concealed weapons; criminals are more likely to think twice about mugging someone, or breaking into someone's home if there is a chance that person may be armed.

We've been down this road before and we both know where it leads... you don't like guns and so therefore don't think others should have them. On that we shall disagree forever.   I'm not going to say another thing about this here as it is pointless.    [frus] [frus] [frus]

peternap

How to keep an idiot busy...

Let him keep posting about how gun control works

In the future, the code for this will be Code 1

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

desdawg

Amass 10,000 rifles, just make sure you have the 10,000 registrations to go with them. Peter you object to satellite pictures of your property yet you think this is OK. Talk about an invasion of privacy.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

peternap

Quote from: benevolance on August 15, 2008, 02:05:17 PM
or let him think himself clever at which point he will post multiple laughing emoticons over and over and over

Code2

rofl rofl rofl
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

peternap

peternap

OH sorry BENE. You wanted a registration form:

John_C

I'm a proud daddy.

For a long time my daughter has wanted me to teach her to shoot a pistol.  Tuesday we went to the range.

45 shots in a very nice group for a first timer.  Mostly shot in 2 shot groups, first shot with the long heavy da trigger pull and the second with the sa trigger pull,  all at 7 yds. We rented a .22 Walther so she could shoot a lot without killing the budget. Next time we'll try something more substantial. 

I did the 5 shots in the head, just to make sure I still could. Two double taps & the last round before we called it a day.

Benevolance:  You said Mtn. Don's arguments were weak.  So far you haven't presented any arguments, just your opinions.  Long term statistics and court cases in THIS country don't support your position.  The recent Supreme Court decision makes any new gun laws more difficult to write in a way that will withstand judicial challenge.  For the time being, the gun control folks will need to reevaluate the playing field.

peternap

I'm a proud daddy.

Geeze John, you should be proud. That's a nice group, especially for the first time out.

Semi's always made me nervous with the kids. I drilled the drop the magazine and clear the chamber routine so hard, they still do it every time they pick one up....30 years later.

John_C

Thank You.  She listened and followed instruction very well.  The gun had a terrible da pull... very long and 8 to 9 lbs.   She wants to try a Ruger .22 next time and perhaps a 9mm Glock. 

I'm a Gov't .45 kinda guy, so I'm getting to play with some new stuff as well.

MountainDon

Quote from: benevolance on August 15, 2008, 01:41:58 PM

Criminals can still get guns... but we can try to at least make it harder for criminals to get a gun... And note the restrictions we have in place like filling out a form for a new gun.. getting a background check.. none of these things prevent law abiding citizens from owning or buying a gun... So none of these steps prevents you from owning firearms...You can still buy as many guns as you like...

Okay, I'm going to break my word about no more replies to this.   [slap]

"You can still buy as many guns as you like"    And so can the criminals!  They simply use alternate, illegal  sources. So this background check stuff simply causes extra work, extra expenses, extra taxes to pay for it all...

MountainDon

Quote from: peternap on August 15, 2008, 03:08:42 PM
I'm a proud daddy.

Semi's always made me nervous with the kids. ...

One of the things that's nice about revolvers.

peternap

I expect she'll love the Ruger and hate the Glock...but who knows.

If you can borrow.rent one, the new Smith 22's are nice also. I picked one up a few months ago and with better than a thousand rounds through, it hasn't missed a beat. Very accurate and well balanced gun.

John_C

I'd like to get her off of .22's and into a larger caliber.  I'm not a fan of .22 pistols unless it's for plinking.  I'd like her to try different .38/.357's,  9mm and maybe a .380 or two.  Then get real familiar with whatever she might want to own. 

MountainDon

Speaking of .45's and .22's... Does anybody have any experience or opinions with the  22LR conversion kits that are available for the 1911?

MountainDon

I am a large caliber fan myself. But for plinking it's hard to beat the cost of 22LR by the brick.   :)

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on August 15, 2008, 03:29:14 PM
Speaking of .45's and .22's... Does anybody have any experience or opinions with the  22LR conversion kits that are available for the 1911?

I had one 20 years or so ago Don. It worked well and mine had the floating chamber so it simulated the recoil of the 45. It was ptone to stovepiping when it got dirty.

John_C

I never owned one but several guys in my gun club in FL had them.  I don't think of them as successful.  You need to readjust the sights for the .22 loads and back again when you want to use it as a .45.  The ones I saw weren't particularly accurate.  There are a lot good .22's that aren't too expensive. 

I always reloaded my .45's and that kept the cost in check.

peternap

Quote from: benevolance on August 15, 2008, 04:52:21 PM
Don

I guess it comes down to whether or not you think owning a gun is worth filling out a form... And I guess you could ask yourself if you want to be a law abiding citizen.

It suprises me... that people feel so strongly about their right to own a gun and how wonderful it is to have them... Yet they do not feel it is great enough to fill out a form or show id when purchasing them