J bolts installation in Cinder Block Walls

Started by VannL, May 15, 2014, 10:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VannL

If I've heard it once, I've heard several times...stuff a plastic bag into the hole in the top row of the cinder block, fill it with mortar and then push the bolt into the mortar. Sounds simple enough. Obviously, I am doing something wrong.  d* I stuffed the bag in the hole, carefully scooped some mortar in and listened to the bag and mortar slide quickly down the holes to the bottom of the 8 rows of cinder.

Anyone with any advice?
If you build it, it will be yours!

speedfunk

bigger thicker bag?  I think we used the bags from the portland/sbc.  Paper on outside plastic...shove whole bag in ...it should grab somewhere :D

Redoverfarm

Quote from: speedfunk on May 15, 2014, 10:10:48 AM
bigger thicker bag?  I think we used the bags from the portland/sbc.  Paper on outside plastic...shove whole bag in ...it should grab somewhere :D

Yep throw nothing away.  I used empty cement/mortar bags. Occassionally if it hit on a big cavity I would use scrap pieces of block first then the bags.  Anything will work (except wood) to take up the space.

Proper placement is to put the "L" of the J-bolt under a web of the block but that is not always possible as it might interfere with your plate/wall framing.

Erin

Yep, us too. 
Mortar/cement/quick crete bags.  I can't even guess how many we had, but not a one remains.  ;)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

VannL

Ok, I'm not feeling really smart right now. I was using plastic shopping bags. (*insert dunce hat here*)

Well, that 'splains that. LOL
If you build it, it will be yours!

firefox

Don't feel bad, I have known people to put a plastic bag in the hole and then
fill the plastic bag with mortar and warch it slide down the hole.
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824