Toward a North American Union

Started by Sassy, August 18, 2006, 07:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

I actually had 3 choppers over my place tonight------not too worried though -- I'm on approach to the airport.

bartholomew

Sassy, I started with the second article. The basic argument seems to be:

Premise 1: Globalization is evil/dangerous.
Premise 2: Regionalization will lead to globalization.
Conclusion: Therefore regionalization is dangerous.

Premise 1:

One problem with the argument is that the author doesn't define globalization. Typically it refers to economic integration and is characterized by free trade in goods and services. However, the author seems to have a different meaning:
Quotethe concept of globalization seems to rest on one central pillar: the consolidation of power
QuotePolitically, globalization represents the leveraging of power beyond that found in any one nation.
So it sounds like the author is getting at the idea of extreme political integration... maybe a single all-powerful world government.

I have no issues with economic integration; and, in fact I fully support free trade as the best and only proven method of lifting the world's masses out of poverty.

On the other hand, the idea of a single global government is frightening. I have two specific reasons why I think that, but I won't go into them now. I have no idea if my reasons are the same as the author's reasons because the author doesn't give any. "Globalization is evil" is just assumed as a fact without any justification.

Premise 2:

The author doesn't define regionalization/regionalism either. However, he spends a lot of time discussing the history of European integration. He also briefly mentions a future Asia-wide trading bloc. The point of these discussions seems to be that the only way for the USA to maintain its own dominance in world economic affairs is by taking on economic partners. And so he turns to North America...
QuoteAmerica, in order to counter the Europe it helped establish, now has to create a North American Community incorporating itself, Canada, and Mexico
Ok, but is talking about a political union, an economic union or something else? The next few quotes he provides makes it clear, refering to "the seamless movement of goods", "the creation of a single economic tri-national region", "a powerhouse North American trading area", "the most economically dynamic region", "economic and financial cooperation" and so on. Economic integration it is.

But then the author makes an abrupt leap from economic regionalism to political globalization...
QuoteRegionalism as a stepping-stone to globalization is the inseparable blending of politics and economics across the board.
No, most regional economic initiatives have (NAFTA, ASEAN, Mercosur, ...) have not involved any "political blending". The European Union is an exception.
QuoteThe bottom line is this: Just as politics and economics are bonded at the hip, regionalism and all it entails – including the unification of North America – fits part-and-parcel with the strategy of globalization.
Um, no, politics and economics are not bonded at the hip. Differences in political ideology don't prevent the USA and China from doing a couple hundred billion dollars worth of trade each year. And while regional initiatives could be steps in a globalization strategy, they could also just be what they appear to be: examples of regional cooperation and mutual development by friendly neighboring nations.

It is also strange that the author previously described the "global reality" we're facing:
QuoteIt's the shift from nationalism to globalization, via the European model of regionalism.
If that's the case then we really have nothing to fear. The European model of regionalism has NOT been copied anywhere else.

The only evidence presented in support of premise 2 is a brief quote from a former State Department official:

QuoteOn the "political side," consider what Richard N. Haass had to say when he was the Director of the Policy Planning Staff at the US Department of States back in 2002 ...

"There clearly is a consistent body of ideas and policies that guides the Bush Administration's foreign policy. Whether these ideas and policies will evolve into a formal doctrine with a name, I'll leave to history to decide. But this coherence exists and can be captured by the idea of integration.

In the 21st century, the principle aim of American foreign policy is to integrate other countries and organizations into arrangements that will sustain a world consistent with U.S. interests and values.

...Integration is about bringing nations together and then building frameworks of cooperation and, where feasible, institutions that reinforce and sustain them even more.

...Integration reflects not merely a hope for the future, but the emerging reality of the Bush Administration."
Gosh, that sounds so sinister doesn't it? Spreading American values like democracy and freedom of religion. Building institutions like a free press, an independent judiciary, a basic school system? How could our leaders be so evil!!! Well, I guess the idea of promoting US interests does smack of selfishness, but it hardly suggests that globalization is the goal.

In short, I don't see any evidence in support of premise 2.

Ok, I'm running out of room here, to be continued...

bartholomew

Actually, the author spends a lot of time making otherwise innocuous quotes sound sinister:

QuoteMikhail Gorbachev, the last true master of the Soviet style of centralized power explains, "The time has come to develop integrated global policies."
Yes, but the author doesn't provide any context. Is Gorbachev talking about enslaving the human race or establishing postal standards?

QuoteZbigniew Brzezinski... the former National Security Advisor maintains that America's purpose for global engagement is "that of forging an enduring framework of global geopolitical cooperation"
Oh no, we wouldn't want that. War is much preferable to cooperation.

QuoteAnd tucked into the taskforce chairman's statement was a simple but vital comment; the "process of change must be properly managed."
And everyone reading that immediately thought "Well duh!"

So, the article comes across more as conspiracy fear-mongering than as a serious argument.

My last point is kind of off-topic. The author seems to regard the European Union as some kind of force of evil. Recall that he views the "global reality" as "the shift from nationalism to globalization, via the European model of regionalism." I wonder if he realizes just how comparable the EU is to the USA? They are both organizations of states with constitutions, houses of government, central banks and supreme courts. They have comparable geographics areas, populations, gross economic output and numbers of member states. If the European Union is such a mistake, then is the American union also a bad idea? Hey, just askin'. Should the US have limited its membership to the original 13? Or stopped with the Louisiana purchase? Maybe the USA should split apart. Perhaps there could be a separate United Blue States of America and United Red States of America?

bartholomew

QuoteWe cannot drive a truck into Mexico but they are free to roam here as they please.

Glenn, this BBC article from 2001 says the exact opposite... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1282559.stm

QuoteDespite US refusal to allow Mexican trucks into the US, American freight hauliers are able to operate freely south of the border.

glenn-k

I don't think that is correct, Bart.  When I used to truck we used to have to go to freight forwarding warehouses in the border towns - unload and let the Mexican trucks take it down.  You could take your truck across into Mexico for fuel out of El Paso, but it may not always make it back across the border with you after it was filled up.

This seems to indicate that it transfers both ways as of 2002 but they were working on clearing Mex trucks here and I saw one going through Fresno a few weeks ago.  I assumed it was already in operation.

From: http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/freight_analysis/world_trade_brdg/index.htm
Most (up to 90%) of the truck traffic at the World Trade Bridge in Laredo consists of "drayage." That is, short distance shipments between warehouses in Laredo and Nuevo Laredo. Typically, long distance trucks in either Mexico or the United States unload their cargos at a warehouse where it is transferred to a short haul truck for the trip across the border.

ABF indicates it's both ways.  Mexican truck in Fresno must have been lost??
http://www.abfs.com/rteguide/mexico/faqmex.asp?bhcp=1

Sassy

Bart...
Your arguments sound logical on the surface, but I don't believe we can take politics & economics at face value - just look throughout history & you will see what the ultimate goal that most fuedal lords, kings, queens, emperors, dictators (Bush?  :-? ) & many of our own political leaders had in mind... power & money.  Land = power & money.  Policies, laws, speeches, agreements ad infinitum can sound so nice & good for the people, good for the country, good for the world (Hitler  :o)... but again, look back at history.  I don't believe in conspiracy theories - I try to gather all the data, & maybe the article you are citing comes from a different world view/philosophy than you have so there may be subtle inferences that I see that you don't.  It's difficult to put on paper these huge subjects in the short spaces we have here & do them justice.  But again, I say, look at history - "those that do not remember history are destined to repeat it..."

This one's for you, Benevolance...
Threat!  Canadian Garbage!!!   ::) Garbage in, Garbage Out   Found this article in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists... was surprised that with all the open land in Canada, they truck their garbage down to a Detroit, Michigan landfill!   ;)

benevolance

Sassy

The city of toronto has had garbage problems for years...Part of the problem is the massive growth Toronto is experiencing....

The other problem is Nimby....You know...Not in my back  yard...Tree huggers and protestors have prevented several attempts to build long term landfills...Each time the tree huggers assemble and try to put the kabosh on it...

Which always makes me laugh...We all like to eat, drink, be merry.. shower and flush the toilet...Yet we seem to think that someone else should have to deal with the Sewage and rubbish caused by our standard of living.

Toronto has several active and advanced green recycling programs...Green bins and Blue Boxes...They are not a recent trend...Because of the garbage problem Toronto has had these widespread recycling programs for at least a decade.... the green bins are for food wastes, and the blue box is for anything recycleable... like carboard, paper, plastics etc...

They have a great initiative for composting to keep leaves and oirganic material out of the landfills as well.

And despite all of these great programs people still refuse to allow a sewage treatment plant and dump near where they live.

I used to live a few miles from the dump back where I grew up and some people loved it and some people hated it....The seagulls were annoying...But it does create a lot of jobs!

As effective as a recycling program can be they are never going to cut out garbage completely...I think that in some green cities they have cut the amount of garbage going into the landfill by 40% but we still throw an awful lot away.

This scenario is playing itself out all over the world... The type of waste is different...But the nuke waste station out in the desert is the same sort of thing... nobody wants a radioactive dump near where they live...Even in the middle of the desert there are people lining up eager to chain themselves to bulldozers.

It is a shame though...Sewage treatment needs to be one of the top priorities of the planet...As we put more and more demand on the eco system and water table...The water we throw away that is polluted will become essential to us...We will have to recycle all of that water and re-use it in the near future....

We have seen in Europe that they recycle 90% of their sewage and re-use the water....It is only a matter of time until the whole planet follows along

benevolance

The other thing that needs to happen is that Fossil Fuels need to get a little more expensive...Because in a few places on the planet they are composting landfill garbage under pressure and making diesel fuel....This process will improve and the scale and scope of it will grow expotentially....

Hopefull we will be turning our landfill waste into cheap clean Diesel Fuel within the next 20 years...

The reason I say that fossil fuels need to get a little more expensive is that.. as the price goes higher people keep looking for new sources of energy.. new ways to process fuel.... new ways to create fuels....Innovation is what drives society...Innovation is driven simply by need....So the higher the cost of fuel...The more need arises for innovation....

Ergo projects like Diesel out of landfill waste become viable and make sense.....This will happen it is just a matter of time.

Sassy

Here's an article by Ron Paul of Texas - h's about the only politician that seems to tell it like it is...
Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk - A weekly Column

A North American United Nations?

August 28,  2006    

Globalists and one-world promoters never seem to tire of coming up with ways to undermine the sovereignty of the United States. The most recent attempt comes in the form of the misnamed "Security and Prosperity Partnership Of North America (SPP)." In reality, this new "partnership" will likely make us far less secure and certainly less prosperous.

According to the US government website dedicated to the project, the SPP is neither a treaty nor a formal agreement. Rather, it is a "dialogue" launched by the heads of state of Canada, Mexico, and the United States at a summit in Waco, Texas in March, 2005.

What is a "dialogue"? We don't know. What we do know, however, is that Congressional oversight of what might be one of the most significant developments in recent history is non-existent. Congress has had no role at all in a "dialogue" that many see as a plan for a North American union.

According to the SPP website, this "dialogue" will create new supra-national organizations to "coordinate" border security, health policy, economic and trade policy, and energy policy between the governments of Mexico, Canada, and the United States. As such, it is but an extension of NAFTA- and CAFTA-like agreements that have far less to do with the free movement of goods and services than they do with government coordination and management of international trade.

Critics of NAFTA and CAFTA warned at the time that the agreements were actually a move toward more government control over international trade and an eventual merging of North America into a border-free area. Proponents of these agreements dismissed this as preposterous and conspiratorial. Now we see that the criticisms appear to be justified.

Let's examine just a couple of the many troubling statements on the SPP's US government website:

"We affirm our commitment to strengthen regulatory cooperation...and to have our central regulatory agencies complete a trilateral regulatory cooperation framework by 2007"

Though the US administration insists that the SPP does not undermine US sovereignty, how else can one take statements like this? How can establishing a "trilateral regulatory cooperation" not undermine our national sovereignty?

The website also states SPP's goal to "mprove the health of our indigenous people through targeted bilateral and/or trilateral activities, including in health promotion, health education, disease prevention, and research." Who can read this and not see massive foreign aid transferred from the US taxpayer to foreign governments and well-connected private companies?

Also alarming are SPP pledges to "work towards the identification and adoption of best practices relating to the registration of medicinal products." That sounds like the much-criticized Codex Alimentarius, which seeks to radically limit Americans' health freedom.

Even more troubling are reports that under this new "partnership," a massive highway is being planned to stretch from Canada into Mexico, through the state of Texas. This is likely to cost the US taxpayer untold billions of dollars, will require eminent domain takings on an almost unimaginable scale, and will make the US more vulnerable to those who seek to enter our country to do us harm.

This all adds up to not only more and bigger government, but to the establishment of an unelected mega-government. As the SPP website itself admits, "The Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America represents a broad and ambitious agenda." I hope my colleagues in Congress and American citizens will join me in opposing any "broad and ambitious" effort to undermine the security and sovereignty of the United States.

benevolance

I dunno about the Highway project...I mean they build roads all the time...Many of them are from one country to another...The Alaskan Highway is one such Example...I do not see anyone advocating they close it down or Blow it up to save america from the terrorists? :o

People forget that as populations grow more roads get built....Much of the land in texas is fringe land that is barely sustainable for grazing...It is not like we are talking prime real estate through Hollywood here. This is the other side of the same coin when we get upset that a massive irrigation project gets shuished because a tree might be threatened that a spotted red owl once perched on.. or some foolishness.

We cannot stand in the way of progress...to those that do not want progress I advocate you need to go get spayed or Neutered so as to not increase the population through procreation...

We use the roads our fathers and grandfathers built and our children and grandchildren will use the new roads we build...it is a inevitable cycle.

as Robert Frost Said"

"From you the road receives, A priming coat of leaves
And so on into winter, till even I have ceased
To come as a foot printer or only some slight beast
So mously or so foxly, Shall print there as my proxy."

I am not in love with this international border thing...I am not in love with this one country for the continent thing either...But they are going to build more roads, more irrigation pipelines...Run more powerlines....These things are unstoppable

glenn-k

Anybody know where I can find a good painless spay or neuter clinic.   :-/

Take me back to 1900 -- Peter -- are you sure the nuts gotta go?

glenn-k

That Google Ads follow service is somethig else ----

I got this

http://www.augustreview.com/

and

http://www.planters.com/

OK - maybe I'm stretching the last one a bit but it is a cool little site -- happens to be their anniversary and who could be more dear to us than Mr. Peanut?

Note:  Mr. Peanut is owned by a tobacco co - did I just plug a corporation?

RJR Nabisco/RJ Reynolds Tobacco
RJR Nabisco was the #2 tobacco company and #1 cookie and cracker maker in the country before beginning a slow and complex restructuring in 1999. Since then, Nabisco has merged with Kraft Foods under tobacco giant Philip Morris, and RJ Reynolds has shifted its focus back to tobacco exclusively. RJ Reynolds and other tobacco companies have spent much of the last decade defending themselves in court—with less than impressive results of late. A 1998 settlement with the attorneys general of several states cost the industry a whopping $246 billion. The U.S. Justice Department also is pursuing legal action against the industry.

Looks like a cash cow for the states and FED.

benevolance

Glenn

I get annoyed when tree huggers have 8 children...It is a contradiction...man and wife equal two people...any more children than 2 and those 2 people are single handedly responsible for global population increases...Simple as that...

I don't care what your beliefs are...Just try not to be a hippocrit....People want to save the rainforest but they drive a SUV have 8 kids....Nice way to stay true to a cause...

Or a vegan that wears leather boots

As for the nuts...they can stay and you get fixed....Super easy...We use to use a funky looking pair of pliers looked like giant bolt cutters on the Steers at the farm....Pinching they called it...

Grab a testicle...Pinch the Vas Defferins off of it...The Testicle no longer works... You may want to do the steers young or it will take 4-5 guys to hold steer....

This is not a pain friendly technique though for humans... ;D

Do not know much about the female anatomy... on the farm we only fixed the males....

The old farmer I worked for used to neuter cats ...Stick them in a rubber boot head first and cut the testicles out.... then put crelin on them to disinfect...the cat would try to go forward in the rubber boot and not be able to escape...I always thought it kinda cruel...It worked though..I never had the stomach to try it....

I learned to give needles to sick pigs and Cows...To remove a Cyst here and there apply a few stitches...I just could not do anything intentionally cruel to a animal....Other than eat it... ;D

The world as a whole is still growing in population but it has slowed considerably....All of Europe, Russia, North America and Australia have declining populations...China and India are slowing down considerably...Still growing, but within reason....As Some of the poorest African Countries start to achieve a minimum of stability and growth their populations growth rates have slowed too....Hopefully we will see a stabilized or slightly declining population for the world within 25 years.

glenn-k

Please leave your special tools home when you come to visit. :-/

I thought the US had already exported enough experimental diseases to stabilize the world population.  How about the recent mailing of bird flu samples without telling anyone to labs all over the world as proof.  Helps to sell a lot of worthless Tamiflu to the tax payers --- several billion dollars worth--- and Rummy can't help it if he still has stock in the company that receives royalties from it.  It's kind of a windfall.   :-/

I worked at my uncles on de-horn and nut day as a kid once.  KRS and salt to stop the bleeding - ouch.

benevolance

Glenn...

Talking about throwing salt on a wound.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry could not resist....If in a pinch...Sorry hehe...When you nut the bulls.. use sugar to stop the bleeding...It works quite well if you  do not have creelin

Salt...That would be cruel....Help against infection.. but man ouch

benevolance

Oh an BTW

Went to look at the house today...Spent several hours with the level and the tape measure....

Made an offer on it...Should know something by Tuesday....ish!

Might need your brick reworking expertise...The house has one issue...It is on 45 columns...No foundations here.... not usually....A couple of them have sagged at the front and the house is a inch out of plum all along the front... Which has caused some brick to pull a little... I will have to get into the 3 foot high crawlspace...Bottle jack it up all along the front and  either shim the columns or replace them...And once it is plum again...Rework some of the brick on the front of the house...I want to re-use the existing brick...80 year old home the brick has that unmistakeable aged look to it...Gorgeous.

Wiring has all been updated...It has all the appliances...All kinds of antique light fixtures and a cool chandelier in the living room..The hardwood floors need to be recovered but in excellent shape with little to no scracthing... The doors are solid oak...Which you just cannot get anymore...So are the kitchen cupboards....Not press board oak or Oak Veneer... Old time Porcelin sink and bluish marble countertop.... The windows are 80 years old but all in good shape....The house mainly needs cleaning and it is liveable now... no plumbing issues or anything like that...Repair/replace the front columns the house is sitting on...And upgrade the house to central air....And it would be very nice...Eventually it would get a green tin roof when the shingles give out...And then new windows....Other than that there is nothing it could need in the next decade... or even a couple of decades...

So yeah we liked it alright ;)

Was a pretty good day overall...The house has 6 bedrooms not 5...And there are 4 existing fireplaces....2 were covered over...Plus there is a small creek running on the back of the lot....

My wife might forgive anything I might someday do to annoy her if they accept our offer...I kind of lowballed them a little...Dunno; the place has been for sale for several months and they have already lowered the asking price 25,000...What is another 13,000 I always say.... I offered 52,000 I am willing to go 55,000.... Hopefully they accept my first offer :)

Neighbor of the house was out mowing we talked to them...Said that a lot of people had looked and put in offers until they found out about the house needing the columns repaired....They all got scared and withdrew their offers...

Local contractor wants 23,000 to replair the front columns...well they want to jack the whole house up... remove the existing columns and put new ones in all under the  house...

But they are a joke...They estimated $3,000  just to haul a couple truck loads of bricks away from the property...Typical construction job where 8-10 guys show up a couple pieces of machinery.. talk, drink coffee, talk on the cell phone...Look at the problem...Talk some more, more coffee... lunch.... still no work done and 10 guys there at $40 an hour and the machinery is $75 an hour....etc...

I don't know that their method will work out any better in the end than me using a industrial bottle jack repairing the columns that need repairing and letting the house back down..... My method will suck... me laying on my belly in the crawl space with a small spade and a floodlight...digging, jacking with the bottle jack...Laying brick and pouring cement... all on my belly...

But still a couple long days and $1000 should do it....No way that is worth $23,000!  Some people out there think that they are pretty special...But no man is worth thousands upon thousands a day....I don't care if the guy is the president....We are all just men(and women ;)..) What one of us can do.. all of us should be able to do.

Wow.. I have been here just sitting thinking about it for the last 3 hours...Intoxicating...I don't know if it is because I love old houses or the thought of sharing it with my wife....It was hard to sleep last night....Dunno if I will get much tonight either. Was it like this for you and sassy when you bought the underground headquarters?
-Peter

glenn-k

We were pretty excited about it - we didn't have a house here to think about fixing up but there were lots of things to do.  
Things just sort of grew here as we made plans for survival and necessity -checked out the resources and decided on what we could do with what we had.

Sounds like you may have found a great place.  As you stated - the repairs should not be a problem - just take them one thing at a time.  As far as bricks go - I am probably better at tearing them down them keeping them up but am working on a historic brick building now and have been around blockwork as well as a little brick myself.  Possibly we can get a thread going here on brickwork that we can all benefit from.

Sassy

Quote by Benevolance:

"But still a couple long days and $1000 should do it....No way that is worth $23,000!  Some people out there think that they are pretty special...But no man is worth thousands upon thousands a day....I don't care if the guy is the president....We are all just men(and women Wink..) What one of us can do.. all of us should be able to do."

Glenn said to tell you he's worth that much...  ::)  no lack of ego there...  ;)

When we found this property after looking all day at other pieces of land, we both knew, "this is it, we gotta have it!"  We were at the realtor's when the doors opened to put in our bid & put down money on escrow - the property had just gone off escrow that very day as the people who were going to buy it were afraid that the amount of water the new well pumped wasn't enough & their offer was contingent on the well production.  Glenn, having drilled wells for years, knew it wasn't a problem - and we never have had a problem with our 2700 gal water tank up the hill.  

We hiked all over the property exploring - looking at good places for building - I thought it was one of the most beautiful places - with all the views, it seems like it is really secluded but yet we are only 4 miles from town.  

The house you are looking at to buy sounds really neat!  Lots of great features.  Glenn's brother jacked his parents home up - it was quite a job but he did it.  I don't know how much it was off.

But Peter, if we get the North American Union, we might not have the Constitution of the United States - I am all for getting along with my neighbors to the south & north & promoting "free trade" but I am totally against disposing with the Bill of Rights...  (had to bring it back to topic!  ;) )

benevolance

Sassy

I am against anything that lessens the rights of any idividuals of any country...The more power the government have the closer we become to the dark ages.

The funny thing about this universal country or trade union is that the rights of all the people would be violated...Canadians would get raked over the coals just as badly as Americans....

It is a bad idea all around when they start changing the constitution....Or the bill of rights.... America is 200+ years old the constitutionand  bill of rights work...Are they perfect... maybe not.. but they have enabled this country to grow and the people in it to form a civilized society....Any new agreement the government would make that could possibly change the current system must be treated as an attempt to remove the safeguards of freedom for the people by the people...etc...

benevolance

Sassy,

I wish I had acreage at this site.. but just not possible with my limited budget right now...I just wish it was Tuesday so I could go to the bank and try to get it finalized....

Well I am not sure about what Glen is worth...But Machinery is expensive and it costs a fair bit to operate it and keep it running etc... The problem I have is when you hire someone to do a renovation job and they have 3 machines where 1 would suffice...And of course each machine is $100+ an hour....In any field people try to exploit their position to rip consumers off that do not know better...

If the going rate for a dozer is $200 an hour where you live and Glenn Charges the rate and does as much work or more per day than the next guy I think that he will have lots of happy customers....We all like a good value...But in truth we know life is expensive....All most people ask is that someone works hard to make sure they get a fair value for the money they are paying to have work done.... I imagine it is the same there as it is here.

It was getting bad in Canada with the Septic tank installation...2 days to put a tank in for a labourer and a machine operator...$25,000 for the Job and $8,000 of it was pure profit....That was the standard operating procedure for most companies.... they would install at least 2 systems a week and make $15,000 a week....For 6 months a year....

Small one or two man companies making $500k profit per year seems pretty excessive to me... Maybe it is because I work my arse off for a fraction of that....I just do not think it makes sense that an average working man has to save 6 months salary to get a septic system installed that takes 2 days....That ratio is nowhere near in line

Even if you look at the profit for the septic system...of $8000....That is several months salary for most people for 2 days of work....

unreal

Sassy

Trans Texas Corridor route would remove thousands of farm acres from production.  The contract is outsourced to Cinta from Spain.  http://southwestfarmpress.com/news/092106-texas-corridor/

Sassy

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.487:

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

September 28, 2006

Expressing the sense of Congress that the United States should not engage in the construction of a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Superhighway System or enter into a North... (Introduced in House)

HCON 487 IH

Sassy

This link takes you to a brief history of behind the scenes & current plans for the

the 'North American' Agenda

It also reiterates the huge outrage that American citizens expressed with the proposed purchase of 22 ports-of-entry by the Dubai company several months ago... or was it last year?  Anyway, the fact is, 80% of our ports are owned & run by foreign companies  :o

This is just some info that might be pertinent to "owner-builders" as they plan & dream & purchase land & build  :-/

benevolance

Well I do not think that America has the right to complain about foriegn ownership of their ports or corporations..

We go into places like The USSR and preach capitalism...And the UNited states invests and owns huge portions of projects in the past like the Suez and Panama Canals...

Lucrative oil and mineral deals in Poor "developing" countries in Africa and South America...Where American companies own the mineral rights..And the local people are mired in Poverty despite being surrounded by massive amounts of priceless resources...

This is merely a small sample of the other edge of the same sword...

When Huge Chavez or some other leader nationalizes their oil industry we hate it...We paint them as the Anti Christ... Why then should we be able to cry foul when foriegn investors buy up valueable real estate or companies of extreme importance...

I guess it is only fitting when someone else gets bent over at our expense instead of the other way around.

Pure straightforward capitalism enslaves the weak and poor as much today as someone chained up in a cottonfield in Alabama 200 years ago. The problem is that People in America refuse to see that this society is living on borrowed time...That the US Government has been writing cheques that cannot be cashed for years now....The staggering yearly deficits and insurmountable debts just keep getting worse. It has started to devalue the American Dollar against every other world currency...And it is affecting America's credit rating.

Michael Moore pointed out something that should be alarming in his 911 movie...that 8% of the entire stock US exchange was owned by Saudi investors... one country with few people controls a signifigant amount of the US economy... And this trend is getting worse...

Even the Roman empires fell eventually folks

Sassy

What a beautiful site!  The Security & Prosperity Partnership plans for the "Super Hwy" coming to a town near you!