grandfathered camps on property??

Started by eggman, August 26, 2009, 06:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman

I picked up 5 acres in NH. There's a one acre lot with a 12 x 24 camp and small barn. There's a 4 acre lot with a 30 x 40 walkout foundation, septic and well. There's a brook that runs thu the middle of the lots. Sweet place..

I found the remains of an old cabin on the 4 acre lot. It's just the scattered foundation granite and an old furnace. Can I build there even though there is an ordance against multi residental dwellings? Is it grandfathered??

Thanks!

MountainDon

I would think that since it is just the ruins of a foundation you can not build another dwelling. If there was a standing building you might stand a chance of renovating it, but even that can depend on how the local ordinances are worded. Major reconstruction usually falls under the same rules for new construction.

But the only way to know for certain is to ask locally. What might be allowed here in NM or someplace else could be disallowed there. And vice versa.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

???  What ever happened to "Live Free or Die"?   Maybe you can appeal for a variance-----see if you can find some historical record of the old structure and base your appeal on reconstructing an "historic building".
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

speedfunk

eggman

Quote from: rwanders on August 26, 2009, 08:21:27 PM
???  What ever happened to "Live Free or Die"?   Maybe you can appeal for a variance-----see if you can find some historical record of the old structure and base your appeal on reconstructing an "historic building".

Beaurocrats are moving in and taking over the town halls everwhere in NH. Oh the horror. The horror.... I went to the historical society and they have a vault. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

eggman

Quote from: speedfunk on August 26, 2009, 08:44:23 PM
Is it hidden  :)   ;)

Naw, it's right on top of the street and the brook but it'll be a non waste producing dwelling. unless you count farts and beer cans.