Her Folly - 20x34 WV

Started by o-leander, August 14, 2012, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o-leander

What I really want to build is a big garden shed with kitchen/bath/bedroom and all-around porches.
But the local POA requires a minimum 800 sq ft.
Then there are all the possible family scenarios to consider.  Too many to mention, but i figure inside spaces can always be finished as-needed as long as the necessary rough-ins are in place.

As I have looked over the years, like Goldilocks, some plans seem too small, others too large, so I finally picked the 2-story 20x34 as my 'just right'.  It requires more porches though  ;D

Her Folly?  Because I'm an over-60 gal who always wanted to build a house, and now am retired, with limited budget, and have embarked on that adventure.  So, it may be a folly, but at least I know I won't be bored.  Ha.  I have been a lurker on this forum for years as I contemplated possibilities.  It is inspiring what folks have done, in so many different ways.  With the help of this forum, and some good local assistance, I'm going to go-for-it.

I own 3 acres in WV, near the VA/WV notch, with access to the Cacapon river and a delightful section for an easy kayak paddle-up-float-down.  The area is probably too far from any shopping (think 40 minutes in any direction), with access being 5 miles of gravel from any paved road.
My lot is 2/3 'old field' and 1/3 wooded, and I have identified a good passive solar build spot.  Views are a nice combination of woodland, hills beyond meadow, and big-sky view to the north. I have been car-camping on the lot for the past 6 years in different conditions and times of year.  The only weather I have not yet experienced is winter snow. 

I have septic and well permits in hand.  The septic perc was 'grandfathered' from ones done some years ago.

Unfortunately, as I discovered last week, 2 uphill drainage culverts from the road which dump onto my land may cause me septic headaches.  The septic drainage area which I just got a permit for, may have a tendency to saturate.  There may be a shallow water table, combined with the runoff.  After a 4" rain gully washer Friday last week, the hole dug and blessed by the local county septic guy when dry, was full of water and not draining much, if at all, in the 36 hours I was there.  So, I may install an Interceptor Drain above the area to help divert excess water away from the field area.  Or might wait to see if the situation is a true anomaly. Awk.  It seems crazy to have that water issue in August, but it has not been a very dry summer in this part of the country.  I am scheduled to install the septic week-after-next.

The site has a gentle slope (~1'/10') and I want a dug foundation (with good preventative drainage measures), 9' walls with a daylight walkout.  I will be pricing block, poured concrete and Precast Concrete -- and do some pro-con analysis.  I think if I used Precast Concrete and SIP walls/roof, plus subcontracting the roof I could have a dried-in space fairly soon and able to live/build from there instead of from a trailer.  It will cost, I know, but the quality should make for a solid and strong perimeter.  I'll also have to run electric and get internet connectivity before I live there! 

Will do more planning when I have the new plans in-hand, and will send a photo for John to add to this post until I figure out the photo connection.
thanks for being here.....

Redoverfarm

w* from another on the Va/WV line. Sounds like you are between Winchester and Wardensville.  Winchester would probably be your best bet for materials.  Moorefield or Petersburg might have something as well. again  w*

o-leander

Thanks for the welcome.  My main supply choices are Winchester, Berkley Springs (Dawson's Ace Hardware on rt 522) or Martinsburg.  Lots of folks use sources in Winchester.  A manager at The Roof Center in Winchester lives down the road.  One of my neighbors, in his 70's, is building an awesome house on his river-front lot.  He is going slowly, doing an incredible job (helped by son/grandson at times), and is one of my chief advisers and champions for this crazy project of mine.

If this photo comes through.... at the center, midway down the slope, is my proposed build site.  The photo is facing south and I'd be out from the trees enough to catch summer sun. The hill at the right is across the river.

Redoverfarm

OK you must be off of Rt 522 .  I was thinking the opposite direction.  Must be close to 127 & 29. 

flyingvan

Sounds to me like you've got a good overall approach.  You're aware of the septic issues and fixes (just divert water from running over the field) and what's VERY encouraging is you're not trying to convince anyone a post and pier foundation is a good idea.  I also respect your not comprimising on the design elements you know you want---base your design first and foremost based on what you think it oughtta look like, not based on your current skill level or other constraints.  I look forward to updates
Find what you love and let it kill you.

rick91351

w* from Idaho

Sounds like you have a most excellent grasp of good building practices.   [cool]
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Sassy

w*  Looking forward to following your adventure here on CP  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Don_P

Nice place :)
I'm well south of you near the NC line, just wanted to mention that we have run a good bit wetter in the past than you've probably seen yet, do take care of the runoff. There is a Superior Walls plant in Amelia for a precast quote. I've used them a couple of times and have been pleased. Radiant in that floor makes sense to me.

Esbatm81

o-leander

I am familiar with your site as I am with your 70 year old neighbors project.  I have toured that place through various stages over the years.

I am building the 24 x 14 across the county from you. 

For materials try;

Eastern Building Supply in Romney http://easternbuildingsupply.com/  they are helpful and nice. I know they deliver to Slanesville, what's another few miles.

Shingleton in Augusta was recommended to me.  http://www.shingletonqualitywoodproducts.com/  I have not used them yet but plan to look at them for roof and siding.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress first hand.

o-leander

Well, well, small world Esbat :-)  Thanks for those local references.  Yup, John, I am near 127/29.  I am very appreciative of the warm welcome from y'all. It may be a 'dream come true' but it is still a scary venture. Thanks for checking in Sassy, I do like that there are at least a few gals around here :-)   @Don_P -- i hope the drainage diversion will do the trick for handling the wetness.... awk -- my closer Superior rep is out of southern PA. That looks like good product.  I know someone in PA who was very pleased with their work.  I will be contacting them for pricing.  For SIPs there seems to be a good place in Harpers Ferry, PanelWrights http://www.panelwrights.com/ I like the red building they did, pictured here: http://sipschool.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/craftworks-open-house.jpg but was disappointed that this open-house was *last* year.  I'll go there during the upcoming Over-The-Mountain crafts tour in November and see what i can find out.  I have started looking into the mini-split HVAC systems, and they are using one.   I like the idea of radient, but still have to sort out the electric vs hot water business.  Doing solar hot water seems like a good bet with my site.  Ah, so many areas to explore.  Never bored.

My CP plans are ordered and should arrive next week.  I'm off for a few days to visit friends, but plan to do some basic scaled paper models while i'm gone to help me visualize how the 9' basement will work with my slope, and how I want the porches to come off of the 20x34 base.  I recently attended a 2 week home design build class in Waitsfield, VT at Yestermorrow school http://www.yestermorrow.org/ .  It was an incredible experience.  I loved building the class-project chicken-coop and doing cardboard scale models.  The 20x34 is nothing like the home I designed while there (lots of squares and hip roofs :) but i think the 20x34 will work better in the long run.

Here's one of my favorite lot photos. I love how that Little Bluestem grass shines in the sun, and the mist rising from the river in front of the hills.

IMScoop

o-leander, I'm thrilled for you! I've been stopping by here on an almost daily basis for months now. One day I'll join the builder crowd but for now, I have to be content watching and being inspired by other peoples projects.

I live in Harpers Ferry/Bolivar so I'm not too far down the road. If you ever need a pair of hands to help out and my schedule accomodates (got three young ones, including a newborn, and I still work in DC), I'd be glad to pitch in...just let me know. I've been wanting to build for a long time. The closest I've come is rennovating a townhouse that we bought as a foreclosure a/b 6 months ago. I have a lot of unfinished little projects around the house but we finally moved in permanently yesterday, when we brought our son home from the hospital.

So nice to see so many Mountaineers 'round here!

Scott

mountainlady1956

I liked the pics of your property. It looks so peaceful :) It will be fun watching the progress!
Cathy

o-leander

Thanks for all the support. It is fun knowing there are other WV-ers out there. Having longed to do this for years and years, it is sometimes delightfully surprising to realize I have actually embarked on this long-imagined journey. Don't give up on the dreams.

So, lots of site prep stuff is in process. Re-grading for septic field drainage is happening today, without me there (which makes me nervous, but can't be helped this time).  Well-drilling is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday. I will be there. Yesterday I contacted the electric company to request a temp underground lateral. That will probably take months :-) Septic may go in late next week after the well.

Got my 20x34 universal plans last week.  Yeah.  I completed some other ucky but necessary chores yesterday so my reward is that today I start playing with cardboard scale models! I have not decided on 2 vs 3 stories yet, with my basement level. After thoroughly reviewing my county permit requirements, which are extensive but well documented, I am thinking I might be ready to actually break ground in spring 2013. Plan refinement is a good winter project, I think.  There are some 'exemption' options for owner-builders wrt contractors and licensing. I have been enjoying telling folks I'm acting as my own GC. Like I know what I'm talking about.  ;D

Meanwhile, I requested a ballpark from Superior Walls for the basement precast concrete. That was about $10k, which was close to what I had expected. That includes stone ledge and is an Xi price (R=12) but I might go with the Xi+ (r=21).  When I have made more decisions about my floor plan / number of floors I'll ask Panelwrights for pricing of their SIP walls/roof.

Ha. I guess I have been busier than I thought! All this pre-construction stuff sure takes a lot of time.  I may have to install some more deer fence this fall so I can do some plant transplanting, just to do something physical :-)

flyingvan

If you can use infiltrators instead of perforated pipe for your septic field, I'm a big fan.  Much more absorptive are and you don't have to buy any crushed stone
Find what you love and let it kill you.

o-leander

The permitting from the county is for a 'chamber' system. 4-80' lines. From what I've read I believe this is the infiltrator type.
http://supersepticservice.com/septic-101/chamber-vs-traditional-drain-field/ These seem to be what recently built neighbors are also using so maybe is becoming more common, even out here in the hills. 

The re-grading is being done because after a recent unusual gully-washer rain I discovered my planned drainage field was saturated.  Awk.   So, prior to installing the septic, he's doing some uphill re-grading to hopefully help divert water from 2 road culverts back into channels at the side of the road..... thus intending to avoid using my septic drain field as also a rain-water drain field for these culverts..... we'll see.  As long as it is not a regular occurrence it should be ok, but makes me worry and reminds me to keep a binder of 'cabin facts' -- what to do when.

Even so, I'll still be buying lots of crushed stone for one thing and another -- just a little less ;-)

sailor38

Yes, chamber = infiltrator.  I looked at the photo on your link and that's what we had installed (the plastic tent design)

o-leander

I have named my future home WoodSedge.  Good play on words since I am at a woods edge, and am a gardener and have lots of, and am fond of, wood sedge.

I have been a gypsy vagabond much of this summer but did manage to get the septic installed in September, as well as re-grading to shift water coming through the road culvert.  That simple regrade seems to be working out well. Phew. I am hopeful that the grasses in all these areas will regrow without much needed except time. Late summer is probably not the best time to dig things up.

Unfortunately, my septic ended up in a different place than I had planned/hoped, which is impacting my build choices. Either closer to the road than i want to be, or no waste exit for toilet/ shower/sink in the lower level basement due to not wanting to invest in a pump-up septic.

I will still have outdoor shower and outdoor utility sink, tied to grey water lines.  It sure changes things when you get intimate with your soil and water situations. I wonder if there is a way to pre-plumb for future possibility of a pump-up system, while not actually doing it as part of the build? I hate when choices made early significantly increase the cost of later possible enhancements, yet I also know I will be scrutinizing any of these ideas from a cost/benefit & short/long view. The age old questions, would I rather have this, or that? I can pre-plumb or have better quality windows? Windows will win out!

So, into fall and winter i will do the full planning for the build. And start the permitting process, which is extensive in Hampshire County wv.  I have to figure out the porches, how high a roof I can do for 8' wide porches, to reduce view obstruction and still not conflict with upper windows (snow etc.). Screened, open/covered and deck are all requirements, second only to electricity and running water :-)  also, what orientation (stairs on the north or south wall). Am considering stairs on south wall, with flagstone landings as heat absorbing.  Lots to consider.

Then, my ongoing question, do I build a livable/campable/plumbed garage first? Maybe even during the winter, as a staging area while I get the rest underway.....

For now my next goal is to do the planning and project planning so i can break ground in the spring for the house, since doing concrete footings and such seems to be more risky during winter.

Btw, esbatm81, you are now busted. It creeped me out a bit that you pinpointed my location so well.  I now have the story from your 'local' relative!

The fall colors are beautiful. At all visits I have been enjoying my views.

Build-on, fellow travelers.....