Don and Peter's Hot Rod Corner

Started by MountainDon, February 13, 2007, 12:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Glenn, do you have a metal or a plastic valve cover? Doesn't matter much which really; they're both problematic. It may take a tube of RTV of make it oil tight... for a while.  :-/

There are cast aluminum aftermarket covers available. I had one on my old '79 CJ5 had one made by Clifford Performance.  http://www.cliffordperformance.net/  They've been around since the 60's making hot rod stuff for a wide variety of inline 6's. AMC, Chev, Ford, Mopar, Hudson. Hudson??  :o No Hudson stuff any more, but they were very fast in the early 50's. Before my time; I'm not that old.

I had a catalog full of their stuff on the CJ5...   :)  cover, cam, fuel injection, etc.  I had a look and the Clifford cover is too pricey these days. There are others though if it comes down to that.

I can guess how happy you are to get the A/C working.  :) :)

I went and dug out some CJ5 pictures from '99-2000...  would still like to have it in some ways...

Peter! Clifford makes some stuff for Mopar slant sixes!!

glenn-k

I have a replacement plastic one from a wrecking yoard to replace the original failed plastic one but the previous owner put it on and did a very poor job of it.  I found a srew bottomed out in the hole in one place -- may have to pull it off and chek it out then redo the whole thing.  I hate it when people with no mechanical ability try to do stuff.  You know the type  - the ones that don't get it and never will.  I wondered when I saw 1/4 inch of gasket sticking out the side in various places.

... and nice jeep, Don -- no visible rock rashes. :)

MountainDon

Quote... and nice jeep, Don -- no visible rock rashes. :)

original factory paint.  Both front fenders had "events" and tweaks tho'.   :(  That's why many will have the front fenders cut away some

glenn-k

Mine also has been introduced to the rock culture by the previous owner.

I have been considering straightening them a bit but this old jeep is made of some pretty serious heavy metal.

MountainDon

Yeah, those were pretty healthy pieces of steel. You could always buy a gallon of Bondo...  ;D ;D  or saw off the offending pieces...

Here's what a sawzall and a good metal cutting blade or two can do. This is a 2000 Cherokee XJ that one of our club members bought as salvage. It was brand spanking new when it suffered an accident while being unloaded from the auto transport truc at the destination dealer. It fell onto it's side.

It was bought as a doner vehicle, engine, trans, seats, A/C and other odds and ends for a Jeep CJ. Meantime he had some fun with a sawzall, slapped some bigger tires on it, turned the A/C up high and we went 4-wheeling one day in June/2000

MountainDon

Special for you, Glenn.

Jay Leno's garage has just posted a video on a 1901 Fairbanks Morse engine he got from somewhere in one of the CA deserts.
(screen shot)

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/index.shtml?vidID=147878

If anyone out there loves cars, but haven't had a look at his website, you need to have look see. Lots of old stuff, pictures and videos.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

OOOOH! This is so nice!  Finally! A true off-road muffler. 14 Ga. diamond plate.

Pretty much the only part under my Cherokee that's not armor plated is my muffler. Whenever I finally do bash it in this is what I'll go with. Maybe before if someday I feel I have the extra cash and nothing else to spend it on. Fat chance of that!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Nice hit and miss engine.  I need to haul my old cast iron up the hill.  I have several of them - smaller than that one mostly.

That muffler should hold up well.  I got tired of working on my jeep last night and after getting it to where I thought it may get me back I took off to prospect.  I found the Morning Star Spring -near the Morning star Mine,  used 4 low to get turned around and got back all in the same night. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Anytime you get back under your own power is a good day/night. Never been towed out myself, but I have been the tower. (knock on wood!) Nah! I'm not superstitious, just cautious.  :)

Another cool little thing; applicable to any vehicle not jusy 4x4.

I have armored the engine oil pan, transmission, transfer case with 3/16 inch steel. (It may be overkill, but I can park my Jeep on it and not worry.)  :) It's in removable sections. Changing oil would be a hassle except for this cool thing.

I cut a hole just big enough for my hand to go through. When changing oil I place a section of vinyl tubing on the fitting, insert the end into the jug from the last oil change, turn the valve open and there ya' go, no fuss, no muss.!

I have one on every vehicle, plus my generators. I was worried about it breaking off on the lower clearance Honda but fashioned a small steel plate to protect it from direct impact.

glenn kangiser

I liked the fact that I could cruise right under the trees and limbs to a place I would never have considered taking my truck into even if I was mean to it. :-?

I could probably use one of those valves after I quit doing the driving oil change.   Pour it in the top - it drips off the bottom.   :-/

New gasket is supposed to be in today though.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

I haven't followed this thread so if these photos don't fit just axe the post Glenn.

Saw this rig today,  GMC I think, looks like a 50's truck but I don't know squat about make ,year, model. Not a gearhead  but you guys might like the truck , it was purty  :)

Enjoy , or not  :)    
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Way cool old GMC, Paul. That's BIG and OLD as in DIFFERENT from being a re-badged Chevy.

I love the old COE (cab over engine) Jimmys, unless the engine needs to be replaced. Helped with one of those once. Gotta first tear all the front sheet metal off. Not much better on some of today's products I'm afraid.

Does anyone recall an old TV show starring 2 truckers and their COE GMC tractor trailer rig. Powered by an early GMC, now Detroit Diesel 2 cycle??

Love the sound of the blowers winding up, that blower gave us the first blown drag cars and gave rise to all the late model specialty Rootes blowers on Funny Cars and AA Fuel Dragsters.

I'm blathering again.

MountainDon

Did ya' notice the old tyme tractor mural on the sleeper box??

Like to see that too!  :)

You must have a shoulder holster for that camera, Paul.  :-? And a mighty fast trigger finger to boot.

glenn kangiser

That is a nice rig -- GMC  Good Mexican Car we call them down here. :)

Like I drive something that good.  My dad had a GMC logging truck with a 4 banger Detroit in it in about 56 or so.  He hauled logs on it.  

We used to hate those screamin Jimmy's in the diesel shop.  We all liked to work on Cummins but there was only one guy who would work on most of the Jimmys.  

Claude.  He was so wild with a hammer that all of his fingers were hammered out into spatulas, as my old buddy used to say.  He warned me to look out extra carefully when working with Cloud (secret nickname).  A guy could easily be impaled with a 6 foot pointed steel pry bar if he wasn't careful around Cloud.  I saw it embed itself about an inch into the concrete once when it slipped from the grip of his mangled appendages. :)

MountainDon

Never worked on a diesel of any kind except to change the oil/filters, that's a lot of oil if you're opening the old metal topped cardboard cans. . But I still love the whistle of those blowers.

glenn kangiser

QuoteI haven't followed this thread so if these photos don't fit just axe the post Glenn.

If it's got wheels it fits, PEG.

On another note --- put all new Platinum plugs and wires in the Jeep today.  I felt a surging that was getting worse and could likely only have been one or the other.  More than just the weak cylinder.  It is really running smooth and no more stumbling -surging on the hills.  The old plugs were all pretty clean - actually looked like a decent burn on all.  Anyway - its cured for now - don't know how long it will last.

Decal stripes are now painted on the left side and back -- nice redneck spray can job.  Thinking about the letters and getting them back on there.  For something meant to go through the brush without worry it doesn't have to be too good a redneck job. ;D

Air conditioner works super now -- as long as you wiggle the switch properly. :o

PEG688

Did ya' notice the old tyme tractor mural on the sleeper box??

Like to see that too!  :)

You must have a shoulder holster for that camera, Paul.  :-? And a mighty fast trigger finger to boot.

I bet they haul a old (new looking) tractor to shows on it normally, there's no show I know of on the Island , well yes come to think of it the Island county fair is going on this week I think, maybe thy're down there showing the tractor :-/ Could be !

It's never to far away , I almost missed that photo op , they where stopped at the light so I just got the  camera on in time  :o See I'm always thinkin of you guys  ;)

I'm pretty sure it said GMC on the grill but he got by before the camera was ready ;D

I'm glad ya all liked it!

PEG688

On another note --- put all new Platinum plugs and wires in the Jeep today. Air conditioner works super now -- as long as you wiggle the switch properly. :o

I did see a killer restored Willy's today at lunch at the mini mart , paint orange , flames in the paint job , some crome stuff sticking outta the hood , nice shift levels , wheels,  seats ,  etc , no photo ,  :(  so I wasn't thinkin of ya all then  ;D

She  was cherry thought ;)  

glenn kangiser

Well, before I got it mine had flames coming out from under the hood --minor wiring and leaking oil fire I think but it's slowly getting better.  

Hey - a lot of those wires are unnecessary anyway. :)

Actually -- nearly everything works pretty good...  most of the time. :) :-/  Well,  -- what do you get for $800 anyway. :-? :)

MountainDon

QuoteI'm pretty sure it said GMC on the grill but he got by before the camera was ready ;D  I'm glad ya all liked it!
I don't think there's much doubt that it's an early 50's GMC longnose, sometimes called a round nose.

This is a 1951. Not quite as nice as the other. For my money the early 50's models with their rounded body parts look much cooler than the new, second style 55's +. Tho' at the time I did like the new style, they were so... well new and modern looking.

MountainDon

I'm a big believer in platinum plugs.

I also believe in and use synthetic oils in anything that doesn't leak or burn it.

glenn kangiser

The parts man said if fouling was a problem they would help.  
Fouling didn't seem to be a problem but I figured for 6.00 I could use the extra help. :)

Valve cover should be the next major job and got a new serpentine belt too.

My Dads GMC was the snub nosed model.   I think like this but red.

PEG688

Whats odd is looking at 1955 Chevy's you get this ,

or

1955 CHEVROLET PICKUP, VEHICLE ID: 152, CHEVROLET'S MANAGEMENT DUBBED THE 1955 TRUCKS THEIR 'TASK-FORCE' LINE. TASK-FORCE IS A NAVAL TERM. 'TASK' REFERS TO A SPECIFIC JOB OR SERIES OF JOBS THE TASK FORCE IS TO ACCOMPLISH AND 'FORCE' IS THE INHERENT POWER WITH WHICH THEY ACCOMPLISH THEIR TASKS. TASK-FORCE PICKUPS WERE ALL NEW. THEIR STYLING HALLMARKS INCLUDED THE TRUCK INDUSTRY'S FIRST WRAPAROUND WINDSHIELD. CHEVROLET ADVERTISING CALLED IT A 'SWEEP-SIGHT WINDSHIELD'. THIS IDEA WAS FIRST SHOWN THE YEAR BEFORE ON GM'S INNOVATIVE BUICK LESABRE CONCEPT MOTORAMA SHOW CAR. OTHER INTERESTING STYLING INNOVATIONS INCLUDED SHROUDED HEADLIGHTS IN VISORED FENDERS, A CLASSIC EGG CRATE GRILLE, RUNNING BOARDS CONCEALED BEHIND THE CAB DOORS AND AN OPTIONAL 'FULL VIEW REAR WINDOW' (WRAPAROUND). NEW FEATURES FOR DRIVER CONVENIENCE AND EASE OF OPERATION INCLUDED POWER STEERING, POWER BRAKES, OVERDRIVE FOR HALF-TON PICKUPS, KEY-TURN STARTS, TUBELESS TIRES, A 12-VOLT ELECTRICAL SYSTEM AND A FOUR SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ON SERIES 3000 PICKUPS.

The first photo they call 1st series and the second they called task force series , from what I gather. Year I was born , so I always sort wanta think I 'd like  a 55 Chevy. BTW I was a late / 2nd series task force type , December don't ya know  ;)

Strange to change the look so much in one model year , must have been different marketing / thinking back then.

MountainDon

How do the coolant hoses look? I replace all mine every 4 years just on the principle that I'd rather not have one fail in the middle of nowhere. Ditto, the belt. And for that matter, how do the PS hoses look (hi pressure mainly?)

I also have dual batteries (isolated via a HD relay), carry a spare crankshaft position sensor (something you don't have to worry about), a computer module, oil/filter/other lubes, a big tire repair kit (the sticky stringy kind... I once used 12 of them in a sidewall perforation. That and loads of glue. You're not supposed to do that, but it worked till we got off the trail and bought a used tire to get home on. I now also have a spare tube. Tube! What's that you say? And a couple metal boxes full of nuts, bolts, washers, screws and other assorted crap. RTV. Tape. Mechanics (baling) wire. Shovel, couple of jacks. And the alternator/welder in case all else fails.