Have Land, Need Direction

Started by fraggin, February 24, 2009, 05:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraggin

Hi, First post.
My parents live in East Texas and I was recently deeded 10 of 20 acres to build a cabin/retreat home. I thought it would be an idea given the state of the union and my premenitions of the fast approaching future.
Right now, the wife and I both work in Houston as IT Professionals and it takes us both working around 50 hours a week just to spend a few hours at home in the evenings and it's really getting old. We have a nice 3,000 sf house which is too big for the two of us and our 5 year old, (Though I really love the house) , but, the bank owns it. Even thought we've been paying on it for 5 years, I realized that I could have put that money towards so many other things that would immediately be mine. I suppose many people on this forum come to that realization.
Back on topic,
We intend on keeping our day jobs, but we would like to spend weekends and holidays making progress on our own little shack in the woods. I've researched methods a bit as well as plans and have decided to focus on building a pier and beam 16 x 24 cabin with a loft as a starting point. Or, starting plan I should say. I expect to build high enough to add rooms on each side if need be. I have already checked with the proper authorities and since I own the land and no one is nearby and I am 10 acres away from any water source I can pretty much do what I want if building off the grid. I know there are strong opinions on the laws, regulations and hand holding so, I'd rather avoid that debate.
Since my parent's ranch is nearby, I have access to tractors, trailers, hauling equipment, saws, and even lodging while I'm working on my dream get away. I suspect that I will commit to one weekend a month and maybe a couple of extended weekends here and there to do the work. And I've accepted that this kind of time allotment may extend my completion date. (completion being having walls, roof, floor and window intact) possibly at the one year mark.
Most of the houses in the area are pier and beam on concrete footings. So, I will likely go that route. I expect to spend a weekend just getting the footers set and leveled and as far as I know, thats my starting point.
I also have access to an Alaskan chainsawmill, so overtime I suspect I will be able to harvest and mill quite a bit of my own lumber for the construction. Here's one question. I had given thought towards milling my own 6x6's to get the project started, but realized this is probably not a good idea given the fact that most people reccomend laying down pressure treated 6x6's. Is there a way that I could treat my own milled air dried lumber to make it as hardy as pressure treated lumber? If not, no big deal.
Also, I chose the 16x24 dimension because of it's squareness and ability to easily be divided by 4, as well as the fact that a lot of sheet goods are sold in 4x8 dimensions. However, I do want to build in a manner in which I can immediatley begin working on a porch/deck around the cabin as well as the ability to add on later without too many complications.
The pitch of the roof will be a factor in these dynamics as well, and I realize that many people reccomend a 12/12 pitched roof, but, in Texas, if we get snow, it's melted once it hits the ground. And I have not seen snow stay on the ground here since the early 80's. Maybe after the economy collapses and the worlds factories shut down and people stop driving so much, the winters will return to a colder state and perhaps we may see snow in Texas. LOL. Faulty logic, I know.
Though I am new to this idea, I have built my fair share of pole barns, chicken pens, horse stables, hay lofts, and storage sheds. I did so much of it, when I turned 18, I ran away from it all and traded a life of sitting in a chair all day for rewarding results based hard work. Only now, am I wise enough to realize how fortunate I was to be exposed to all the things a country boy gets to do. Having said that, it has been a while since I have framed a house and even the smallest things like wall offsets and birds mouth cuts and overhang measurements have faded from my mind. I may not even be calling them the right terms.
For some of the aforementioned reasons, I chose the simple 16x24 cabin because of it's simple roof lines, no dormers or gables and it's simplicity. It seems like a more logical approach to my first build.
The other question is where do I begin?
I have my land, but at the moment, that's all. I have an idea in my mind that puts me in the spot where I want to be, but I still need to find exactly where I want to build. How do I choose? What position should the house sit? Should the door face north or south? Should I avoid building here or there?
I suppose a good thick book to read about the subject would be in order. It would be a good way to utilize the only 2 hours out of the day that belong to me.
I don't mind criticizm, but I like advice much better. Sure one weekend a month may sound farce, but it's all I have at the moment. But, adversity has always been a welcomed challenge for me.
Thanks for reading my long first post, I promise the next one will be shorther.  d*

fishing_guy

Congrats on the land.  I take it you have been on the property?  Any photos?

It took my wife and I a couple of seasons (Minnesota here) to determine the pluses/minuses of a variety of locations.

Access to equipment/tools/lodging will make things go so much smoother.  Good luck and welcome to the forum !
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

bayview

w*

It seems that you have quite a full schedule . . .   Are you able to do any construction at your current home? 

Check out what a fellow countryplaner has done . . .
http://www.countryplans.com/cody.html
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

NM_Shooter

You begin right here.  It sounds as though you have a lot of this already thought out.  Almost everything is personal preference. 

Welcome to the journey. 

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

ScottA

w* You found the right place to start. It's a long way to the finnish line but well worth it IMO. The way I understand it you need to do one of two things to preserve wood. Remove the moisture or remove the food value. Pressure treated wood removes the food value by making the wood toxic.

MountainDon

w*  fraggin

My thoughts:

Cabin placement and orientation; first a question, what's the land like? Flat? Trees? We took a year of being on the land for clean up (loads of trees and deadfall.). During that time we moved the cabin site a few times. We chose out final orientation with a mind to the prevailing winds and sun travel path.

As for the plan of a 16x24 that's just about perfect as far as we are concerned; we built a 16x30 as one big room with work/function areas. Adding on later can be done. Planning it all out beforehand would make that expansion easier. It is easier in some ways to build a bigger shell to begin with and perhaps not finish it all inside right away.

For the construction phase, it's my personal belief that the shorter the time from laying the beams and joists to the time the shell is dried in, the better. Some materials, like most OSB products in particular, do not react favorably to getting wet. (If you looked around here a fair amount the name Advantech might have popped up It is one of the few OSB products that do stand up to repeated rainfall.) So what I'm getting at is it may not be best for the building to drag out the time for this phase of construction too long. Once the concrete footings and piers are in it could be advantageous to use some accumulated vacation time. Being dried in does not mean the windows have to be installed, just the weatherproof exterior weather resistant membrane, a door, and the finished roof. Windows can be installed later over a protracted time, as can be all the interior finishing.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fraggin

I have walked many paths on this land from as early as I can remember. It's a wooded area, some undergrowth in places with a majority of loblolly pine and various hardwoods and sweet gum. the east perimeter sits atop a hill with a slope towards a creek 10 acres away, and from that point, the property slopes upwards another 10 acres to the top of a hill where it remains fairly plateaued for about another 20 acres.

I had given thought towards constructing some panels at home and transporting them to the site, but since I personally do not own a trailer, and since my suv would be limited in it's towing capacity on the 'wuss' end of the macho scale, I don't really see it as a viable option. Just the difference in prices in lumber alone have steered me away from this idea. Here, at the Big box stores, I would pay 30% more than I would at some of the private owned lumber yards within an hour from the build site. 

As far as milling my own foundation lumber, I'm beginning to think it's not a great idea. There will be plenty of chances to use chainsaw millled lumber for things not so integral as the pier and beam foundation. Items like interior trim, banisters, railings, etc. So, I think I will settle on pressure treated lumber for the big stuff.

I suppose when I am out there next, I will snap some pics of the land. I have spent so much time out there as a 'young un' that every square yard is a snapshot in my mind. I suppose an actual picture would be easier to convey.

Thanks for the quick replys and the support. I already feel heaps better about tackling this project with a good forum like this backing me. If the internet was ever a good idea, it would have to be for forums like this.

Thanks Everyone.

hnash53

I'd have had a much harder time building my cabin if it weren't for this forum.  I learned so much from the replies/responses to my questions here.

Don't be afraid to ask any question here.  There really isn't a dumb question according to this forum.

Best wishes with your project.  My cabin is 16x28 and you can see our building experience at //www.countryplans.com/nash.html.  I reference it to you since your planned initial space is about the same size.

Jens

"Have Land, Need Direction"

It's that ---> way. :)
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Okie_Bob

Welcome Frag. I just completed my house on Cedar Creek Lake, which I'm sure you at least know about? Tyler is just down the road...hwy 31 that is.
You have a really agressive program lined out for yourself and I wish you all the best of luck. I spent most every weekend and every possible day I could sneak off building my place and it took me five years!!! With your schedule and distance from Houston to Tyler, you
have a full plate to say the least.
If you are going to be truly off grid then that is one thing. If you plan to hook up to the grid, that will have a bearing on your cabin location. Suggest you look into that as one of your first priorities. Also, I assume you will be drilling a well and installing a septic system?
Their locations are going to be crucial to your cabin location as well and need to be addressed first.
We are all here for you and anxious to help if we can.
Good luck, you are in for a wonderful journey.

fraggin

Wow Bob. That's a lifetime accomplishment right there. I viewed your blog and not sure if you realize it or not, but you have built yourself a luxury home. I could die happy knowing that I did something that remarkable in my lifetime.  And it only took you 5 years? Are you already planning your next build?
Cedar Creek lake is an excellent location and I would definitley be looking for a second lot to build a weekend rental on. Talk about retirement. A Two BR with utilities anywhere Cedar Creek Lake could get you a guranteed $250 a week and likely you would be booked up a year in advance if you had a website. Ok, now you hate me for putting this hard-working obsession bug in your ear.
But, thanks for the advice. I expect the first step is choosing the actual location. I will definitley go with a well on this property, and the last time I was out there, I found a spring flowing from the top of a hill. I dug down about 2 ft, and the hole filled with water instantly. The water tables are pretty shallow where I want to build. I dont know if that is a good or bad thing.

I expect to build on pier and beam, as most houses are in my kneck of the woods. The first question that I am facing is what to use for footers. Do I remove the top soil and lay down solid pavers the place cinder blocks on top?
Also, if I am going to be building a 16' x 24', how do I orientate my cinder blocks to place the beams? are the beams flush with the outside of the cinderblocks?
Do I have to do grade work? If I am building on a slope, and the slope drops 3 ft from the front of the cabin to the back, do I add more height on my blocks to accomodate for the slope? If so, is there a standard to follow? How high is too high?

MountainDon

Quote from: fraggin on March 02, 2009, 11:18:49 AM
I expect to build on pier and beam, as most houses are in my neck of the woods. The first question that I am facing is what to use for footers. Do I remove the top soil and lay down solid pavers the place cinder blocks on top?

The best footings are, IMO, poured concrete, usually 16x16x8 minimum. Rebar, either an X or # shape would be placed about half way in the footing. That is pour 4 inches, drop in the rebar (wired together) and then pour the rest of the concrete. Also have a couple L pieces of rebar with one end sticking up to tie the footing to the concrete inside the concrete blocks. Depth of footing to suit frost expectations or down to solid mineral soil ground.

As far as placement of the block piers get your plans first. They should have the measurements detailed.

As for the slope that's a choice you make. We had the ground more or less leveled to avoid having 4 to 5 foot stilts at one end.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fraggin

Progress. Feels Nice. In another post, I inquired about how to get across a creek. My dad found a good deal on a culvert.

Hooked it onto the Deere and off we went.

Of course, I had to clean it out first before we installed it.

A little team work and a bit of horse power and it dropped right into place.

A bit of dirt work later, and the wife took advantage of the father/son photo op.

Now that I have access to the 'other side', the chainsaw got a break when I cut the perfect swinging vine. I had to show my 5 year old how it's done, and wouldn't you know, someone was there with camera in hand.

Once play time wore me out (after about 5 minutes). The real work began. Continuing to clear a path to the future cabin site.

Fast Forward 3 full days later, and about a half mile of chain saw butchering, tractor pushing road clearing fun, and me and the Corgies take a break at the future home of my hillside hide out.

Progress is good. Visual Progress is even better. And when it takes hard work to get it done, it's a nice feeling of accomplishment.

I got more done than I expected to on my 4 day break, and I'm really excited now. This was my first committing act towards building a cabin.
Thanks for everyone's support.

MountainDon

Looks like a nice site.

I don't know if you already know this or not, but when making a road through the trees and you have a tractor, it's easiest to use the machine to push over the trees, then cut off the stump. It's easier to deal with the stumps and root balls that way.

fraggin

Thanks for the tip. I did as many as I could that way. It's amazing that a 2" stump can stop a tractor in it's tracks.