Lessons learned from living in a small house ?

Started by cbc58, October 02, 2016, 12:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

We are going through the thought process of designing a small cabin and are coming to the realization that at some point in the future it may wind up being our full-time place.   Looking at the small house builds here - wonder if those that live in small homes full time or for extended periods could share any lessons learned or things that you would have done differently.  A small house bought and paid for is appealing vs. a larger one that is mortgaged.  Also the ability to control/reduce associated costs - especially real estate taxes.  One person can easily live in a small space but when 2 people are there it adds a whole new dimension and dynamic. 

Being married for nearly 30 years we know that it is imperative to have separate spaces we can each escape to.  Also intelligent storage, good kitchen and bath and room for quests if they visit.  What have people found to be the right size dwelling and mix of usable space and amenities? 

ChugiakTinkerer

Storage, storage, storage!

There's probably a lot of ways to improve on what you get in a contemporary house built in the last few decades.  But closet and other space is something I find in short supply in the house in which I currently reside, and it's just 30 years old.  I would look at all the small house design tricks to maximize the utility of storage space.  It certainly helps to downsize your accumulation of stuff, and you know the needs of you and your spouse.  I think I would actually measure every cabinet, closet, and nook and cranny to get volumes of space and volumes of the stuff that occupies it.  A 200 cubic foot closet that has 160 cubic feet of air is a big waste, whereas a 12 cf cabinet that is overflowing could stand to be redesigned.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

NathanS

My wife and I lived in a travel trailer for 7 months, and we learned a lot from that (it was probably 150sqft in total). The thing about trailers, is that a 'good one' you can walk through, and not point out anything dumb. A bad trailer, as soon as you step inside, you start noticing bad layout choices. I only bring this up because I think that Jayco makes a good trailer. They have been doing it for decades and really know what they're doing. It honestly would be worth while walking through travel trailers to see how they layout spaces, and find storage areas. Our extremely small bathroom was laid out to have a counter top next to the sink - that was invaluable. Our current apartment bathroom has a pedestal sink that is all but worthless.

Rarely do beds have storage underneath them, but the largest storage space in a small trailer is under the bed. A lot of these ideas can be transferred over to small home design.

A kitchen table could instead be a kitchen booth, with storage under the seating. I think that in small enough home, you might be better off without dedicated storage closets (for the most part, exceptions to that rule of course), and instead find or build furniture that all has storage space included.

No reason you couldn't have storage under your couch.

Finally, more than any space technique, is that you don't need as much stuff as you think you do. I think this is hard or impossible for some people, but throw stuff out, or give it away, if you don't use it.

flyingvan

http://notsobighouse.com/   I can't recommend Sarah Susanka's books strongly enough.  You'll page through them over and over.  I adopted her suggestions and philosophies-- Just a few are, if you can afford to build a 1,000 square foot house, you can afford to build a 600 square foot house that is awesome...Do not design in any space that isn't used daily, and dual-purpose as much space as possible (ie kitchens can be entries, both needed spaces).  Also, everything should open up towards something bigger for the illusion of space.  This is probably the most fun thing to think about and incorporate----

When you walk into Cuyamaca Cottage, you are in the kitchen but it opens up into the living room.  Past that is the open ceiling 19' up so you feel like there is more space ahead.

As you move forward, the bay window opens the view, and there are no walls to close you in

Behind you there are stairs, but the open space around them formed the reading nook sort of floating in the airspace

Then from the reading nook, instead of a flat wall in your face there's a big picture window.  Looking below brings you out into the bay making the house feel bigger than its 716 square feet.

Painting everything gloss white or using mirrors helps with the size-feel.  Also soundproofing all your interior walls--when sounds from other rooms are muffled it makes things feel bigger.  Undersize things like lamps, televisions, and wall hangings.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

MushCreek

I've always liked the idea of having some expandable space that you can use when needed, and doesn't cost you much when not being used. Our house is considered to be somewhat small at 1295 sq ft., but we have a full, insulated basement. It stays reasonably comfortable year-round without HVAC, and it's not taxed as living space. Long range plans include finishing a great room at one end of our detached barn to use for large gatherings, and as a separate guest house for over night guests. When not in use, it costs nothing, and again, isn't being taxed. Both the barn and the basement have full bathrooms, so they serve as temporary living space very easily. Either space can also be used as an 'away place' when one of us wants to be alone.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

trish2

Two space saving ideas
A pedestal expanding dining table is my add to utilizing space well.  It's easier to fit in an extra chair & person if you do not have to straddle a table leg.  Doesn't matter whether the table is round, oblong, square or rectangle, pedestal tables offer a bit more flexibility.

L-shaped over/under beds for guest rooms is another favorite space saver.  For us retirees, bunk beds for guests is not a smart  idea.  The over/under, bed however, works ok.  One bed is about 30-36 inches off the ground, usually.  The foot of the second bed slides under the foot of the first bed; 90 degree angle, beds now form an "L:" shape.   Bed 2 is about  15 inches off the ground, give a or take a couple of inches. We converted a service porch into a guest room using this configuration.   Looked really spiffy with plantation shutters on the window, carpet and pretty bed linens.

Dave Sparks

Go look at 50 foot sailboats. I am not kidding. A great way to use space and great ideas for living in it. Not really a direct comparison to a small house but a fun way to get some ideas. Usually a fall boat show in the coastal cities.
"we go where the power lines don't"

OlJarhead

For me it is to build a plan with exterior space that you can add to if needed later.  So my 14x24 will some day get a 12x18 addition because it's just a little too small when the kids bring their kids with them to visit but we don't live there full time (I did for about a year).

If you can have a covered porch it makes a lot of difference!

cbc58

some other things we have have considered for our small home design:

- bed/nook in living room (like in solar saltbox plan)(really like this idea)
- trap door storage in floor
- 9' first floor ceilings vs. cathedral - allows for more room on 2nd floor but feels "bigger"
- tankless hot water heater vs. traditional
- sliding door/walls to create flexible open/closed spaces
- separate small building to escape to

thanks for the replies. 

MikeC

Don't know where you are located but:

An interesting read if one can ignore the collectivist slant is "A Pattern Language" by C. Alexander,  IIRC - much info on appropriate sizing, but written before accumulating stuff became a lifestyle. Mea culpa.

A basement - seasonal storage, utilities, a space away for pursuing interests, maybe separate daylight entry if there is sufficient slope.

SECOND FLOOR (or loft) - maximize the footprint!

Might consider planning for a time when the owners dread stairs - it may happen.

For us, our next will not feature a kitchen with a work area that is subject to constant through traffic.  The kitchen horizontal surfaces  become a dumping ground simply because it is the first area inside.

What do you dislike about your current abode?  Design  it away where possible.

Will second the sailboat layout review, or liveaboard for a bit to discover what is/isn't important to you.

waggin

Since my building footprint is a little less than 700 square feet, I think my place qualifies.  There are also a couple of small lofts reached by ladders that I use for storage, but I don't use those as living spaces, with the exception of a futon mattress on the floor of one for guests.

Open, multipurpose space seems to work well for me.  There are no hallways here.  My main room has a sofa, loveseat, swivel chair, dining table, hutch, built in computer desk, and a kitchen island.  It still feels like there's plenty of room, and I can easily entertain 10 people.  The stove, refrigerator, and kitchen work area are located in a corner of the same room.  On one wall, there is a 6' run of upper cabinets only.  The space underneath is where I keep my toolboxes and tools.  The dining table is pushed against the kitchen island, and I rarely need to pull it away to have seating for four people.  As it sits, three people can use it.

My bedroom is tiny, so I built a platform bed with 17-1/2" clearance underneath for plastic storage containers.  Those Rubbermaid Roughneck totes fit, as do the clear Sterilite 66 quart containers.  These are my favorite, as you can see what's inside of them.

Currently, I have a tankless water heater, but I'm going to switch to a 40 gallon tank style.  It really isn't going to take up that much more room.  The lag time for hot water, the dreaded cold water sandwich, and the variability of temperature when the well pump kicks on vs. water coming from the pressure tank make me not-so-much of a fan of the tankless.  Being on propane, I've heard the energy savings aren't that great for the tankless.  There are also only a couple of months of the year where the extra heat of the tank in the house will be undesirable.  My bathroom used to have a four foot tub, which I hated.  Now it has a shower...much better and all I need.

If I was designing a place with the same square footage, sure, I'd do some things differently, but this place works well for me.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

VannL

I'm going to second the covered porch and, depending on where you live, suggest you should look at screening it in. Even in areas where you might not have a lot of bugs, a pleasant evening outside with a light on can become quickly ruined by an army of moths and other flying things falling deeply in love with your porch light.

One thing I am working on is a simulation. In an existing living room, or even outside, create one room at a time and see what it will be like and where cabinets are. You can walk around and get a good sense of size and feel from that.
If you build it, it will be yours!