Tile over wood?? Country Plan pros unite!!

Started by phalynx, March 27, 2008, 11:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Is this new vinyl stuff you are referring to similar to Marmoleum?

mt

Okie_Bob

Mike what I believe you are referring to is latex modified thin-set. It is quite a bit more expensive. I used it on the floor in new bathroom I tiled a couple of months back. I bought 5 gal of the latex and used it to mix with the mortor instead of water, as per the directions. The latex was about $35 as I recall where water would have been less!!! It is a white milky looking liquid and when mixed with the mortor makes a very dark colored thin-set this is super hard when dry and sets up a lot faster than a water base. It is much harder to work with, in my opinion and I went back to water on the floor in my second bath floor.
Time will tell if that was smart or not.
I just wanted to add this info as I had never heard of the stuff till the guy at Home Depot (my toy store) told me about it and recommened it.
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

I think he is talking about a new kind of linoleum BoB, but you are right about there being several kinds of thinset - some expensive.  Seems there is also an epoxy one.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Okie_Bob

Don't think so Glenn. Go back about 4 or 5 posts and he talks about a cheaper and more expensive thin-set. One he used under the backer board and the more expensive one 'up top'. (Wall tile maybe?)  Dang, now I'm confused.

MountainDon

There's about 3 things, or more,  going on here...
1. the original ? about ceramic tile over wood subfloor
2. a recommendation to look at a "new" vinyl flooring
3. 2 varieties of thinset... the original mention didn't say anything about additives, just 2 different bags/types
4. then the latex additive
5. cement product backer board and their specialized screws, vs nails and staples
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

Let me try and be the clarifier for my comment about Marmoleum at least.  I was simply responding to Azkateo's recommendation to look at the new vinyl flooring products.  I was wondering if the Marmoleum product fell into the category of what he is referring to.

For what it's worth regarding the thinset: I used cheaper stuff below my backerboard (along with the roofing nails) and more expensive stuff for my slate--but both thinsets were water activated. 

I hope I haven't hopelessly confused things, and I hope those who originated this thread as well as those who have subsequently dropped in have been able to find questions, comments, and answers somewhat useful.

mt

phalynx

It's all good info.  Nothing like learning from all.  As for the alternative, I know I wouldn't be happy with Marmoleum.  I do like real tile.

glenn kangiser

You probably read a lot closer than I did BoB.  I have actually had a real good paying job I have been having to go to work at for the last few days so have been skimming a bit  due to a time shortage. d*

We have been averaging 85.74 posts per day.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.